Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:56 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I say who cares if the person is tailgating most times I will just pull over to the slow lane and let him pass or if I am in my car down shift and punch it and leave him sitting in the dust. why would people even try to get into an accident on purpose by brake checking... just chill out and be cool while driving.
Totally agree, brake checking is just too dangerous. I do what you do when I borrow my uncle's 2008 Corvette Z-06. I let them start to pass, speed up a bit to get right next to them, downshift, wave Bye-Bye and nail it lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 03:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
. I would pull out my pistol if someone started slamming my door wanting to start something and in many states the law would be on my side.
Shooting some one for a minor road incident? you might want to check just how much of the law would be on your side..

Old 05-21-2010, 03:56 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
wow. i kinda had a feeling this thread would bring out a lot of e-nut swinging. looks like i was right, lol.

Mike

Old 05-21-2010, 04:13 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times
Tailgaters are stupid morons. They are just showing their lack of common sense, driving ability, and no concern for safety. Or they want to intimidate or be confrontational.
When they get within a couple feet of my rear bumper, WHERE THE HELL ARE THEY GONNA GO FROM THERE?
I don't drive slow and give a reason for people to tailgate. If they want to go faster than I am a real driver hangs back enough to be safe and then pass when they can.
Another thing that bugs are those who don't know how to use turn signals.
IF THEY AREN'T SMART ENOUGH TO FIGURE OUT TO MAKE THE TURN SIGNALS WORK HOW THE HELL ARE THEY SMART ENOUGH TO OPERATE THE REST OF THE CAR.
The amatuers (sp?) are easy to spot for people who actualy know how to drive safely and go with the traffic and still be considerate even if they want to go a little faster.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:52 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
When someone tailgates me I simply take my foot off the gas and slowly brake to a stop. I do NOT brake check them. I think it is funny though as someone recently threw rocks at my car a few weeks ago for doing this as they passed me. I drive such a beat up POS that I laughed it off.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:45 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
My Saab came with rear fog lights. Rear-fog-light-equipped cars usually only include one rear fog light, namely on the driver's side. But mine has one on both sides -- they simply disabled one side or the other (depending on whether the country of export was LHD or RHD) by removing the bulb. So I put a bulb back in the light-hand side, and now I have both. Flipping those on takes care of the problem 95% of the time, especially at night. Failing that, if it's a 4-lane road I typically just slow down to whatever speed it takes to get them to go around me. Same on uncrowded 2-lane roads. And failing that, I've found that a 4-million candlepower spotlight in their face does the trick too. I've only had to resort to that once.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:45 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,917,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc130 View Post
Here's an idea, ignore them. All this fantasy talk about how you'd beat their ass, slam on the brake and it'd be all their fault and you get a new car (good luck with that), spray **** on their car, blind them with illegal lights, think you're some kinda teacher..??? ...just ignore them. Be the bigger man. Also, remember there are crazy people out there with not much to loose. You think you're gonna do something to teach em a lesson and that'd be that? LOL, pick your mark I guess, but you never know and eventually you're gonna **** with the wrong person.
Tried that. When you are driving down a two lane, you don't have fast and slow lanes. A lot of the times when you do slow down, they stay right behind you and won't pass when they do have the chance too. Some people do it to **** you off or TEACH YOU a lesson for not rolling fast enough.

So if they did end up hitting me and wanted to start a verbal or physical confrontation I will be ready. It's not fantasy talk. I have a sidekick that stays behind my seat for such situations.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:14 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
first, i always have to ask....... which lane are you in? not that i condone tailgating, but nothing irritates me more than a left-lane hog.

on the rare occassion someone tailgates me, i typically let it go. maybe it's my ignorance, but i figure if they want to follow that close and buy me a new vehicle when we wreck, let 'em.

Mike
That does not matter, there is NO excuse to tailgate.

I brake suddenly for tailgaters.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:19 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
That does not matter, there is NO excuse to tailgate.

I brake suddenly for tailgaters.
When you brake-check a tailgater, you're no longer a passive victim in creating a dangerous situation, you're now an active participant -- at which point you're just as big a moron as they are.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:11 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
When you brake-check a tailgater, you're no longer a passive victim in creating a dangerous situation, you're now an active participant -- at which point you're just as big a moron as they are.
lol. thanks. saved me the post.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive