Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 06:36 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times

Advertisements

in the middle of the Caprice seats looks really NICE. not far from a Cadillac. I think the LTD is the glossiest and highest appearing in terms of quality. Nothing beats the 73-74's in terms of understated elegance. They were OK in 75 and 76 but they either looked boring or got too overstyled. I guess that's when they got new ideas in time for 77(GM) and 79(Ford)

i don't know WHAT Chrysler was thinking in 79 with the St Regis and Newport
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 06:43 PM

Default there is

something about the Chev's in particular that is so eye catching inside, the interiors are so color coordinated and shape coordinated it's really tough to stop looking at those pics. in terms of eye catching IMO it's got Ford beat. even the lesser Chevs like the Laguna and Monte Carlo are difficult to resist

you know what i liked the Dodge Charger SE with the louvered rear quarter windows for 73 and 74.

but they really ran out of ideas when they made the former Satellite a Fury in 75. what a silly move. Did they think they would fool anyone? does anyone remember that mid size Fury?

Old 05-31-2010, 08:17 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
but they really ran out of ideas when they made the former Satellite a Fury in 75. what a silly move. Did they think they would fool anyone? does anyone remember that mid size Fury?
You mean one of these?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:02 PM

Default yeah

but the 75 and 76 fury had those goofy grilles with the round headlights, at least this one looks a bit better

Old 06-01-2010, 12:14 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Yeah, I think Ford had the edge on luxury. They went a step further than Caprice in terms of thick cut-pile carpeting, more carpeting on the lower door panels and door courtesy lights. They also offered optional cornering lamps, which was not even optional on the Caprices of that era, but was on all of the other big GM cars.

Beginning in 1973, Chevy really stepped up the Caprice's luxury in some ways. In 1971-72, they only had a black steering wheel and column no matter what interior color and it was odd. Starting in 1973, they were color-keyed, even on the base Bel-Air and upper Impala. However, I think the brocade cloth in the 71-72 Caprice was more appealing than the 73 Caprice seat material, but it was nice too. As mentioned only in 1972 did Chevy offer the brocade cloth interior option on the Caprice wagon. My 72 Caprice wagon has the vinyl seating, which was basically the same seats used in the Impala, as well as the door panels. They didnt use the Caprice sedan door panel schemes, they used Impalas, but did have the Caprice emblem. Ford did the same with the Country Squire wagon, it had the LTD interior, HOWEVER did offer an optional "Brougham" interior option on the Country Squires which added the LTD Brougham sedan interior.

Here is a pic of my 72 Caprice Estate interior... (it did add the extra dash woodgrain on the driver side like the Caprice sedan had.... it also added the woodgrain siding and the Caprice grill.

Yeah, I like the 73-74 big Fords, but not so much the 75-78 models. I was never much on the covered headlights for some reason.

Quote:
in the middle of the Caprice seats looks really NICE. not far from a Cadillac. I think the LTD is the glossiest and highest appearing in terms of quality. Nothing beats the 73-74's in terms of understated elegance. They were OK in 75 and 76 but they either looked boring or got too overstyled. I guess that's when they got new ideas in time for 77(GM) and 79(Ford)

i don't know WHAT Chrysler was thinking in 79 with the St Regis and Newport

Old 06-01-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
but the 75 and 76 fury had those goofy grilles with the round headlights, at least this one looks a bit better
Yeah, and believe it or not, I still see alot of these cars around here. I know where a green one is... looks like new. Its been at that house for as long as I can remember.

Yeah the 75 models (with the round single lights) were not that attractive. I like the stacked light models better. Even better, I like the 71-72 models, but then they were called Dodge Coronet or Plymouth Satellite.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:30 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Here is a pic of my 72 Caprice Estate interior... (it did add the extra dash woodgrain on the driver side like the Caprice sedan had.... it also added the woodgrain siding and the Caprice grill.
That is a very nice interior.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That is a very nice interior.

Thank you. I think its mostly due to where the old lady that owned it had kept it in the garage. She had bought it in 1984 from the original owner. Its a local car, bought in 1972, but I am not sure of the original owner kept it under a carport or garage or not. Must have, or else the interior would probably be in bad shape.

Before I bought this one, I had found some in Arizona and southern CA and while they were rust free, most of them had baked interiors. I guess because of the blazing sun and low humidity. It gets hot here too and its the south, but its not like the desert. lol.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:07 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Yes, heat and dry air is hard on interiors.

A garage or a car cover is a big help.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:46 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,136,769 times
I like the round headlights better on GM A bodies and Cordobas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive