Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:49 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times

Advertisements

Well lets see...I owned one of the fastest muscle car ever built...but what would I know about such things..Year One was a little too mainstream/generic for my model...But YOU are the expert,you post on City Data.

Plus I was into muscle cars during the late 80's early 90's when you actually used NOS parts not repro crap.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:25 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times
[quote=oz in SC;14432699]

Quote:
Well lets see...I owned one of the fastest muscle car ever built...but what would I know about such things.
so, what you're telling me here is that you should well know better than the whatever point that you were making earlier...

Quote:
Year One was a little too mainstream/generic for my model...But YOU are the expert,you post on City Data.
yes, i post on City Data - at about less than one sixth the frequency that you do, and over a slightly longer period of time.

Quote:
Plus I was into muscle cars during the late 80's early 90's when you actually used NOS parts not repro crap.
^ i fail to see any relevance whatsoever.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:35 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Well lets see...I owned one of the fastest muscle car ever built...but what would I know about such things..Year One was a little too mainstream/generic for my model...But YOU are the expert,you post on City Data.

You know, when people on here feel the need to start bragging about what they own or have owned they start losing any credibility they may have had.

That's my opinion anyway.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:53 AM

And when people have to post their cyber prowess regarding their intimate knowledge of a subject???

Linson was wrong,Year One DOES sell speed parts and DOES build cars....

Old 06-02-2010, 07:09 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
You know, when people on here feel the need to start bragging about what they own or have owned they start losing any credibility they may have had.

That's my opinion anyway.
That's retarded. People talk about what they owned/worked on/etc to put their statements into context. if you want facts, are you going to listen to someone with actual experience in the subject matter, or are you going to only listen to peole that have formed opinions based on hearsay?

I'm so tired of people that think opinion is more important than knowledge or experience, and anyone with actual expereince is just a know it all braggart that should not be listened to.

I always use my direct experience in ownership/working on cars/driving them on teh track or street to give context to my statements. I like cars, and have built a lot of them and raced a lot of them. Because I like cars, I've gone through a lot of them, as well. Well over a hundred owned in the last 30+ years. All shapes and sizes, nationalities, and genres. It's not bragging, it's simply giving context so you can understand WHY I say the things I do.

Quote:
And when people have to post their cyber prowess regarding their intimate knowledge of a subject???

Linson was wrong,Year One DOES sell speed parts and DOES build cars....
But he was also right, they ARE a restoration parts company, not a tuner. They build cars for advertising, but it's not what their company is about. Never has been.

And guys, this is a forum. A forum is for giving and recieving information. If you don't want people that actually know what they are talking about and have experience to respond to you, stop using forums, because you are going to find that there ARE people out there that are intimately familiar with whatever suybject matter the forum is about. That's the purpose of forums.

Or do you expect that people that know about things ONLY talk to you in real life at their place of business, or hobby outlet?

Personally I LOVE it when I run across people with more experience than I have, as there's still so much to learn, even after 30+ years of immersion in this field (40+ years if you count when I started playing with and reading about cars as a child...).

Old 06-02-2010, 07:26 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
That's retarded. People talk about what they owned/worked on/etc to put their statements into context. if you want facts, are you going to listen to someone with actual experience in the subject matter, or are you going to only listen to peole that have formed opinions based on hearsay?

I'm so tired of people that think opinion is more important than knowledge or experience, and anyone with actual expereince is just a know it all braggart that should not be listened to.

I always use my direct experience in ownership/working on cars/driving them on teh track or street to give context to my statements. I like cars, and have built a lot of them and raced a lot of them. Because I like cars, I've gone through a lot of them, as well. Well over a hundred owned in the last 30+ years. All shapes and sizes, nationalities, and genres. It's not bragging, it's simply giving context so you can understand WHY I say the things I do.
That's retarded? Classy statement.

There is a huge difference between someone with experience and someone who feels the need to throw out statements that come across as bragging.

After reading many of your posts it's obvious that you pretty much know what you're talking about.

And you said it for me. It's the one's who throw out numbers and opinions as if they know it all, when it's clear they're just repeating what they've read, that get to me.

As far as experience goes, lets just say you and I started at about the same time many years ago.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:40 AM

I must have missed where we posted our experience so as to know who is the REAL experts.

Here goes...
My first 'real' factory built muscle car was my Buick.
Before that we(the PPS club as we called ourselves..Primered piece of S..t Club) would build our cars from more plain jane models like a Le Mans instead of a GTO,a 327 Camaro instead of a big block,a 351C 2V 1971 Mach 1 instead of a 4V...that sort of thing.

We also actually drove and GASP....street raced our cars.

Linson's first post on this topic:
Quote:
Year One is ONLY a restoration parts company.

They are NOT a tuning and modification company.
Bu enough bitchiness,lets not be a bunch of women.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:26 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:

Linson's first post on this topic:
Was correct. He was responding to the post that said thsi:

"Year One is a tuning and modifying company."

Which is incorrect. It is not. They HAVE a catalog of hop up parts (the Speed Shop). They OWN Ghostworks Garage, which is a small part of the company that builds project cars to advertise their catalogs, and occasionally do a high profile customer car. But Ghostworks garage is not Year One, and is specifically separate. And now they ALSO have a division that builds these Trans Ams. But they are not modifying your car to do it, nor are they tuning your car. They are producing a very limited run of cars to their own design, and it's a very small part of their business model. They are, first and foremost, a restoration parts company with catalogs for many, many classic cars.

This is VASTLY different than a tuning and modifying shop that also sells some of their parts.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:44 AM

Let us try this again.....

Quote:
Year One is ONLY a restoration parts company.
Note that red word?

Hence why several pointed that out to him he was indeed incorrect.

Absolutes can bite you in the butt sometimes....

Old 06-02-2010, 10:21 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
About the late '70's TA's, I disagree. Every town has a salvageable '77-'81 TA under a tarp somewhere that can be had for 2 g's or less. Not saying that the build will be cheap, but as far as the initial investment, those cars can be had.

Regarding a 69 Camaro, I'll forgive you this time, but in the future, I would appreciate it if you didn't act like I'm some ****ing *******.
2 g's or less might buy you a plain jane T/A with the 403 Olds and in any color of your choice...but I'm not talking about one of those special edition black and gold T/A's with the W72 400 cube engine. Those are the big money cars and I believe they usually sell north of $2k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive