Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:13 AM

506 posts, read 2,574,079 times

Advertisements

man, for $12k on repairs for an Eclipse you could have bought a new Eclipse.

Reminds of a time when I spent $2500 to fix an old Integra which I then sold for $3000 6 months later. What a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 10:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
If its just about power for under $5k you could turbo the Miata (250hp)and upgrade the suspension and have a car that will thrash most cars in the twisties,
When you say the Miata isnt fast in the corners i get the idea that your idea of fast is all about the right foot and not about driving skill as a stock Miata driven by some one who knows what they are doing will best most more powerful cars at autox events.

sporty coupe? Mustang would probably be one of the more easy to find and less expensive options

Old 06-01-2010, 10:44 AM

279 posts, read 759,799 times
Some of these are certainly going to be easier to find than others, but I think you should be able to get into any of the following 2 seaters / roadsters within that price range (early 2000's model):
Nissan 350X
Honda S2000
BMW Z3/Z4
Porsche Boxster
Pontiac Solstice
Mercedes-Benz SLK
Toyota MR2 Spyder

Strictly aesthetically speaking, I love the look of the Solstice - no idea about its performance or reliability though.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:09 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If its just about power for under $5k you could turbo the Miata (250hp)and upgrade the suspension and have a car that will thrash most cars in the twisties,
When you say the Miata isnt fast in the corners i get the idea that your idea of fast is all about the right foot and not about driving skill as a stock Miata driven by some one who knows what they are doing will best most more powerful cars at autox events.

sporty coupe? Mustang would probably be one of the more easy to find and less expensive options
I was going to post this. A Miata can be on fo the fastes cars in the corners there is. Going fast in the corners involves lateral G forces, and you can very simply and inexpensively get the Miata to corner well over 1 G laterally. Over 1G in the corners feels as fast if you're doing it in a Miata or in a Porsche race car. A Mustang or Camaro modded to pull 1 G in the coreners will fell the same when cornering: same lateral forces acting on you.

And a turbo Miata will out accellerate most sporty cars and a lot of musclecars.

Flyin' Miata : :

Of course, there's always this:

Flyin' Miata : V8 conversions : turnkeys and tradeins

Old 06-01-2010, 11:21 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
I get the impression she is after the "fast" that comes from the right foot. I will attest that "fast" in the corners is very doable in a Miata and I definitely got more thrills from my spec Miata car than any muscle car I've owned.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:25 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I cannot imagine driving a car with as many scoops as a TransAm. If you buy one, please be sure to get some 6x9 coaxial speakers and let them sit on the rear parcel tray. Put some Lynyrd Skynyrd on the stereo and you're all set.

Why would you have spend $12K in 18 months to repair an Eclipse?

The 300zx (the second version) is a terrific but troublesome car. Semi-exotic in its day with twin turbos and 4 wheel steering.

I think you should look for:

Mustang GT
Nissan 350z
Honda S2000
Another Miata
Mazda RX8

No front wheel drive.
The T/A's styling isn't for everyone, but it goes like a bat out of hell and it's performance can't be ignored. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but a now 8 year old T/A will still wipe the floor with most of today's performance cars in a drag race including everyone you listed above and they aren't exactly the world's worst handling cars and can be modded to be every bit as exciting in the twisties as any other car.

If you want seriously fast on a budget, you can't beat that gen T/A even if it looks like a Hot Wheel cereal box toy and the interior is reminiscent of some of Tonka's worst plastic toys. If you want to tone down the styling opt for the Camaro.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I get the impression she is after the "fast" that comes from the right foot. I will attest that "fast" in the corners is very doable in a Miata and I definitely got more thrills from my spec Miata car than any muscle car I've owned.
I was just going by the sentence:

"The Miata is fun, but no power and I miss taking the corners fast."

Not much better than a Miata on sticky tires to take corners fast. Power has nothing to do with that, only lateral G forces. And the feeling is teh same at 1G whether it's a Miata or a Camaro or a Ferrari.

The first part can be fixed with a turbo or a V8 swap..

My own cheap, fast, corners well recipe was a V8 RX7:

360 hp in 2700 lbs, 4.10 gears, and 1.02G lateral cornering forces, all for less than $4000 total (including the basic car).

Old 06-01-2010, 01:50 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
my question is how can you drive the Rx-7 in the rain with that edelbrock air filter through the hood without sucking water in to it?

Old 06-01-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
my question is how can you drive the Rx-7 in the rain with that edelbrock air filter through the hood without sucking water in to it?
Drive faster.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:30 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,424,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
Not entirely sure what you're after in terms of performance vs sportiness considering that we're going from Miata to souped up Cobra GTs, but I think the performance end of things has been covered quite well so far...but for something more like your old Eclipse(what year was it and was it a GS-T, GSX or GT by any chance?), run a search on autotrader for Celicas and Tiburons. The Celica is more or less the same thing as the Eclipse but it's being built by Toyota during their prime years and is as reliable as they come, and you can get a great deal on a used 2007-2008 Tiburon with low miles since they've been discontinued and more or less replaced by the Genesis Coupe. Neither are going to be fire breathers, but they're both about the same as a 2000-2005 Eclipse...you actually could probably find a 2006+ Eclipse with low miles in that price range if you're huge on the Eclipse. The 90s Eclipse is still miles better than the current one, but it's still a nice car that's a good bit of fun.
I should have been more specific. I'm not looking to replace the Miata. I'm a car wh@re. I want a convertible, so I bought the Miata. I wanted a sports car so I bought the Eclipse (2001 GT model BTW, for those that asked). I still want a Jeep Wrangler some day. Would like a nice 'respectable' car some day - BMW 3 series, Lexus ES300 etc.

Because of the money I've sunk into the Eclipse and the constant problems with it, I just need to let it go. I'm gonna cry like a little girl when it's gone - I think she's a stunning car. Beautiful silver with flawless leather interior. Thing still looks brand freaking new. But my daughter is afraid to drive it. Says it's got too much power and she's afraid she'll wreck it or it'll break down and leave her stranded somewhere. Good point - the last one anyway.

So I"m looking to replace the Eclipse. I want something small with power. I don't want to spend a fortune. I don't want another car that will live in the shop where I"ll never be able to enjoy it. And I don't want to spend every paycheck keeping it on the road. Something fast, flashy looking and dependable. If that exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
when it comes to sports cars that will not be your daily driver I say get the one you really want you said you really liked and have always wanted a Trans-Am WS6 so I would wait till a nice one comes along and go for it.
I'm realllllllly leaning that way. If I'm going to go through this again, I might as well hold off and get what I really do want. Since they've stopped making them so long ago (2002 was the last year if I remember correctly) I'm so afraid if I wait too long the only ones out there will be beaten all to he!!. But I'm not ready this second to go grab one. And the WS-6 doesn't seem like it was a real popular car, as I've had quite a time finding the one I really want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the problem with hot cars that are affordable and used is they dont attract women.
when the tears flow from your eyes & your hands shake---when you make out the check at the dealer, it is exciting to women.
Considering I am a woman - and straight and happily married with 5 children and a grandchild, I'm not all that concerned about attracting women. ROTFL! I'm actually a ****** in the dealerships and will fight, argue and haggle my way to a price I think is fair or walk out the door. I don't spend money easily and I hate anyone that just throws it around like an idiot. It's certainly their money and they can do as they please, but it not only doesn't excite me, it leaves me thinking of the person as a complete and total moron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
man, for $12k on repairs for an Eclipse you could have bought a new Eclipse.

Reminds of a time when I spent $2500 to fix an old Integra which I then sold for $3000 6 months later. What a waste.
I know. Don't remind me. My husband sat next to me after test driving the car repeating over and over 'dont buy that car, dont buy that car'. I bought the car. Didn't even get half way home the first time it broke down. Turned a corner and every single thing in the car shut down. I almost died. I just knew he was in the van behind me ready to chew me out. Turns out they had put a battery in it that was much too small and battery cables that were too short and when I turned the corner it snapped the cables. First trip to the garage before it even got home and I'd spent over $400. Then I had to do tires, brakes, rotors. Transmission. It just kept adding up and adding up. And hubby got angrier and angrier. We don't discuss the car at all. It's been in the garage since last September. He's mentioned selling it a few times and I've told him I'd sell him first. It's a sore subject. I do love that car. Totally irrational I know, but I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive