Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:41 PM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,646 times

Advertisements

My mom is driving my car because she doesn't care for hers and it's a mess. What can I say? She's my mom.

One of my friends put some undue wear on the clutch of one of my cars. Does it matter? It's just a car. Friendships are more important than inanimate objects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 09:30 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
I do not lend cars, save to family members. I will, however, let someone drive it, if I am in the vehicle, and they are sufficiently trustworthy. It's not because I do not trust them, but I do not wish to expose myself to potential liability as the owner of the vehicle in question. I have gotten tickets mailed to me when I was not the driver of the vehicle, since someone close to me tends to push the envelope a bit too far in a quest for "free" parking.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-01-2010, 12:25 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,218,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
You need no reason to say no.

My brother used to borrow 20 years ago. He returned every vehicle he borrowed with destroyed transmissions. Ruined carpet and upholstery and dry gas tanks.

Good Lord... I had an uncle that would to that to my grandparents vehicles years ago... they would come back with rattles, broken seats, (he was 6'5"., 250 pounds), etc. Also come back with damaged transmissions, etc. I vowed he would never borrow one of my cars. He has good money now and his own cars (6 in fact - three are diesel work trucks), so we dont have to worry about that anymore. His wife has a 2002 GMC Yukon... purchased two years ago. An old lady owned it... kept it garaged and in pristine condition (she kept blankets on the seats and carpeting!). Within 2 months the Yukon was scraped, cracked windshield and SOOOOO filthy, mud all over it, soiled interior, etc. They had a rugged drive at the old place and it got all banged up. It was so sad. I bet that lady would die if she had seen it then, or even now... two years later, its even worse, its been crashed twice and 1/2 way repaired, HUGE cracks on the windshield now (from flying rocks) and the inside is terrible. So much for a $10,000 SUV when they bought it... I bet they would be lucky now to get $4000 for it. Before she bought this, she had borrowed my other aunts 1998 Plymouth Voyager minivan... she had got it on a steep hill, got the tranny in a bind and didnt set the park brake first... then she had to yank on the gear shifter and broke it! Its all bent up and will hardly shift gears. Its been setting broken at my grandpas for 4 years now... all covered in moss. They didnt even offer to fix it for her, but she has another car, so it was never much of an issue, but they should have repaired it for her. I am sure its ruined now.

Also when she was a teenager before she married my uncle in 1990, she had a Subaru she drove up the interstate for 13 miles with no oil pressure! Recently before the Yukon, she had a 1993 Toyota Camry... 365K miles! It would not quit.... even when it had the oil leak, she would let it go so low that the oil warning light would illuminate! She would keep on going! She still has it, parked it because she had bought the Yukon. That Camry must be a good car... I know my old one was.

No one drives my cars... maybe my mom or dad if they needed to use one of my old cars or my work car, but NO ONE drives my "days off" car but me. I wont even let anyone in half of the time. lol.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 06-01-2010 at 12:34 AM..

Old 06-01-2010, 12:27 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
when you pry my dead cold fingers from the wheel of that BMW.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/bmw/540.htm

Old 06-01-2010, 08:40 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
I hope you tried to lift up on the clutch pedal to readjust it if it was a fox body or later? You pull up on the pedal and you will hear a click or two. This readjusts them if they aren't toast. Remember that Mustang guys for the next time!
Good to know...it was an '00 Mustang GT convertible. Unfortunately, the clutch was totally gone in this case and the car had to be towed.

It wasn't necessarily the failure itself that bothered me but how he reacted to it. First he tried to say that he was just normally shifting and then it just went out. Seemed kind of odd given that I've never had a clutch fail and have driven manual transmissions since I was 16. However, the mechanic told me when he was servicing the car that there was rubber all over the rear wheel wells (due to constant burnouts).

I finally got him to admit what happened and at first he did not want to pay for it. Then he asked if he could get on a payment plan.... I decided to just let thinks go instead of arguing with him about it.

I was trying to be nice, but ended up realizing I had made a pretty bad decision. Just glad it wasn't a lot worse. In the 10 years since then, nobody, except for my father, has been allowed to drive any of my vehicles without me present. Makes life a lot easier

Old 06-01-2010, 08:44 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,645 times
I agree. I haven't even thought about that before, but that's a great point. Certain selfish people will not care about getting tickets in your car when they can just pass you the blame.

God forbid someone who you let drive your car takes place in a hit-and-run accident. At the very least, I'm sure it would be a huge pain to just clear yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I do not lend cars, save to family members. I will, however, let someone drive it, if I am in the vehicle, and they are sufficiently trustworthy. It's not because I do not trust them, but I do not wish to expose myself to potential liability as the owner of the vehicle in question. I have gotten tickets mailed to me when I was not the driver of the vehicle, since someone close to me tends to push the envelope a bit too far in a quest for "free" parking.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:49 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,248,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Good to know...it was an '00 Mustang GT convertible. Unfortunately, the clutch was totally gone in this case and the car had to be towed.

It wasn't necessarily the failure itself that bothered me but how he reacted to it. First he tried to say that he was just normally shifting and then it just went out. Seemed kind of odd given that I've never had a clutch fail and have driven manual transmissions since I was 16. However, the mechanic told me when he was servicing the car that there was rubber all over the rear wheel wells (due to constant burnouts).

I finally got him to admit what happened and at first he did not want to pay for it. Then he asked if he could get on a payment plan.... I decided to just let thinks go instead of arguing with him about it.

I was trying to be nice, but ended up realizing I had made a pretty bad decision. Just glad it wasn't a lot worse. In the 10 years since then, nobody, except for my father, has been allowed to drive any of my vehicles without me present. Makes life a lot easier
Yeah, they don't tell you that little mechanic trick about the clutch pedal adjustment. They want to have you take it in and click-click, that'll be 80 bucks please! That comes straight from upstairs Mustang owners. File it away in your mind for next time and don't tell who told ya!LOL........ Yours was in fact toast so it wouldn't help though!

Old 06-01-2010, 11:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
I try to not let anyone else drive my car. I believe a car is like a pair of shoes, and it learns to fit the user. Every time I let someone else drive my car, it feels different when I drive it again.

With no basis except my gut feeling, I think if only one person drives a car for the car's lifetime, it will last significantly longer, because the parts never experience the shock or stress of "meshing" differently than the way the have been working each other's contacts. Does that make sense? Like, the way a wood worker would never let anyone use his tools, or a seamstress would never let anyone else use her sewing machine. It wouldn't come back the same.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:23 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
Uh..hell no! Are you kidding me? It's called liability! If he drives it and hits someone or something, guess who the lawyers are coming after...that's right YOU! I don't let anyone drive my car and most people are understanding and don't ask to drive your car unless they are in high school.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:53 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
I've lent out old trucks when I had them, and borrowed trucks when I've needed them and didn't have them. Other than that, no. My wife and kid drive my cars, but they are family, and they are great drivers.

We have a friend who would be in need of a long term loan of a car, and instead, I simply bought them a $375 beater used car that they can have. Made sure it runs good and now they have a car. Cheaper than a loan and no worries about what it'll do to my insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive