Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:56 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I bought our two trucks with Costco. They negotiate the price, we got ours $2000 below dealer cost.
We will use them again next time. I understand Sam's club has the same service.
Thank you Kona. I'm not a bulk buyer, hence no membership, but I'll definitely check into it. It may be worth joining. I'll do virtually anything that works to my advantage if it prevents me from having to walk into a dealership & tangle with salesmen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:34 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Here is the link Welcome to Costco Auto Program
We talked on the phone for a few minutes, traded a few emails. When I showed up at the dealer I was driving home in the new truck within the same hour.
A month later costco mailed me a credit for $500 to use at the dealers for accessories.

You will always make more selling any car in instead of using it as a trade in. Dealers will often charge you more to take your car.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:38 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Too bad. You probably lost plenty of sales.

This is partially why hard working consumers dislike dealing with car salesmen... we feel as if we're treated the same way. What a shame.

Not any sales we wanted. Why on Earth would we want to deal with someone that shops that way?

Not worth the time or the trouble.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Okay, Moon, thank you. I assumed they'd be getting a huge chunk upfront, rather than month by month over a few years, so they'd be happy to drop by a few %.

It's a process I absolutely dread, but I'll explore all options.

You realize the dealer doesn't make $20K, $25K or whatever the car costs? They typically have a pretty small mark-up on the car.

Depending on the car and the maker, the may only make $1200-$1500 if they sell a car at full sticker.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:19 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,283 times
Quote:
I bought our two trucks with Costco. They negotiate the price, we got ours $2000 below dealer cost.
We will use them again next time. I understand Sam's club has the same service.
Yeah AAA has a similar service. It's good if you don't want to spend the time negotiating at a dealership. In any case you want to arm yourself with numbers so you won't be made fun of at the dealership's watercooler. I personally like to watch a car salesperson squirm when I know more about a particular car than he does, or have some inside knowledge of dealer pricing. In any event, you ultimately have the upper hand, and can walk if you feel your are taken advantage of.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Here is the link Welcome to Costco Auto Program
We talked on the phone for a few minutes, traded a few emails. When I showed up at the dealer I was driving home in the new truck within the same hour.
A month later costco mailed me a credit for $500 to use at the dealers for accessories.
Kona, thank you very much for the link. I'm checking it out now. Glad it all worked out well for you.

Quote:
You will always make more selling any car in instead of using it as a trade in. Dealers will often charge you more to take your car.
I don't have a trade in, but I didn't know this either. I did know that one garners more for a self-sale than trade in, but had no idea it cost more to trade in. Good to know in the future. You've been very helpful, thanks again.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Yeah AAA has a similar service. It's good if you don't want to spend the time negotiating at a dealership. In any case you want to arm yourself with numbers so you won't be made fun of at the dealership's watercooler. I personally like to watch a car salesperson squirm when I know more about a particular car than he does, or have some inside knowledge of dealer pricing. In any event, you ultimately have the upper hand, and can walk if you feel your are taken advantage of.
I'll check into AAA, as well, Moon, thanks. I had no idea these services were so readily available. Very useful info & I appreciate your response.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I don't have a trade in, but I didn't know this either. I did know that one garners more for a self-sale than trade in, but had no idea it cost more to trade in. Good to know in the future. You've been very helpful, thanks again.

It doesn't "cost more". You lose money in the sense that you can get more from a private sale than trading it in, but you don't get charged for trading it in.

In some states, you get a break on taxes, which when added to the trade in amount can make it a better proposition to trade in than sell yourself.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
It doesn't "cost more". You lose money in the sense that you can get more from a private sale than trading it in, but you don't get charged for trading it in.

In some states, you get a break on taxes, which when added to the trade in amount can make it a better proposition to trade in than sell yourself.
My misunderstanding. Thank you for the clarification, Get.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:58 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
if this is the car buying service based in LA, I think my ex-gf's brother used them to purchase his Dinan BMW a couple yrs ago. They were able to negotiate a price several thousand lower than what the Dinan-certified dealer was quoting and he was happy with the final result. But this was a specialty tuned Bimmer where invoice pricing is unavailable. I think he recommended them to her cousin who was trying to negotiate an Audi A4 with European delivery without much success.

Honestly, if you're not shopping for an exotic or super-luxury or weird color/package combo, I'd first try emailing like 5 or 6 dealers' Internet Sales managers and asking them for a quote. Always mention the invoice price (which you can get off of Edmunds: TMV new car prices, used car pricing, used car values at Edmunds ) for the particular model optioned the way you want. And be sure to mention any incentives/discounts you qualify for (also available off of Edmunds: New car incentives, auto rebates, dealer incentives at Edmunds (http://www.edmunds.com/incentives/RebateController?step=1&setzip= - broken link) ) Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive