Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Car?
1997 BMW 750iL 11 61.11%
1998-1999 Mercedes-Benz ML320 1 5.56%
1998 Mercedes-Benz S500 6 33.33%
1997-2002 Range Rover 4.6 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:10 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times

Advertisements

Once I settle down somewhere I would like to pick up an older 7-series to drive around and tinker with. Thats my vote however not really a dream car of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 12:14 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
The ML will have the easiest affordability in the repair department. You would have to be a glutton for punishment to go with a 750. If you must have a 7-series, get a 740.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:47 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,138,812 times
Wait 10 years and then the price will be reduced dramatically. What even is the newest Benz or Beemer to be starting to go up in value?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:19 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The ML will have the easiest affordability in the repair department. You would have to be a glutton for punishment to go with a 750. If you must have a 7-series, get a 740.
I agree with the comment about the 750. I really like that generation of 7 series, but the 12 cylinder will be very frustrating to own. My friend has a 850i and it is not running 1/3 of the time. I joke with him that it is really a six cylinder car - the other six cylinders are spares.

The Range Rover will spend even more time in the shop.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:39 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
With any of these vehicles, if the purchase price is too low, you can easily spend the same amount on mechanical restoration. I would agree that the 7-series is the best bet, but not the 750, which is significantly more expensive to maintain and operate than a 740. What may happen with a pre-owned model, with any of these, but especially a niche 12-cylinder is the dreaded deferred maintenance on the part of a previous owner. There are more examples of a 740 on the road, hence the better odds in finding one that has been maintained responsibly.

One thing to remember, though, is that the purchase price is affordable now, but the maintenance bills are still going to be a factor of the original price. That is, unless you can perform the majority of the work on the vehicles yourself. Even when nothing major is wrong, it's not difficult to sink $800 to $1k in the cars in a service visit, especially with an aging flagship.

The ML was not great when new, but it was less expensive, and would have lower general repair bills. The only problem is the frequency of repair would increase, assuming you wanted to maintain the vehicle in top condition. The Range Rover will suffer from higher repair, and likely higher frequency of repair, because they are a vehicle that tends to be bought by some who are looking for the appearance of status, without doing actual maintenance. As such, they may be inexpensive to purchase, but difficult to own, especially when the air suspension malfunctions. That bill is expensive, either in a replacement, or in conversion.

BMW had some great six-cylinder engines in the early 2000s, so if I were to suggest a BMW that would be less likely to give trouble, assuming a prime example mechanically, I would look to a 5-series, especially from the 2002-2003 vintage. Another BMW that's fun, and relatively trouble-free, from the same era, because they were simple cars is the Z3, if you want a roadster. I know that the Z3 is a departure from what you're considering, but they are fun cars to have as a second/third/fourth vehicle.

I know that you said you were going to keep the car for a bit and then get rid of it, but that can be risky with these models, as you may lose a signifcant amount on resale, and/or maintenance/repairs that will likely become an issue. I would steer clear of the RR and the ML, since IIRC, you have an SUV, so you don't need a tempermental $WD (yes $, not 4) in the garage, too.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
I get what the OP is saying. When I was a kid there were cars I thought were cool but no way could I afford them. Well....now they are affordable (although not like new anymore). So here's the big chance to get one before they die.

When I was a kid I thought the neighbor's mid-80's IROC-Z was just awesome. I could probably find one for next to nothing and live that nightmare....er um....dream....myself.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:08 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
What by the way is interesting about an ML320? It was M-B's first mainstream SUV. And not particularly good at anything. It does not have a reputation for reliability. It isn't fast. It isn't very interesting looking.

I don't get it.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:09 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Screw me. My dream car is a Koenigsegg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive