Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:03 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Absent a sales tax license for a given state, a dealership cannot collect sales taxes for that state. Sales tax collection is a function performed on the part of the dealership for the state only in the state they are licensed to do business in and where they hold a sales tax license.

The dealership that's selling a car in NC, knowing that the purchaser isn't a resident, but filing paperwork in their name to an address there ... is doing something not legal. They may be motivated to do so because they have quotas or territorial dealership agency/manufacturer issues which require them to sell a vehicle into a given geographic area or face adverse consequences with their manufacturer. But this isn't a sales tax issue.

I haven't seen that "big book" at most dealerships I've dealt with around the USA.

Sure they can collect taxes. They then forward it on to the other state in whatever manner they need to. Some states require it to be mailed to the county tax office, some states the DMV...any dealership can do it. If they say they can't, it's just being lazy.

There isn't any required sales tax license, at lest not in Texas, nor anywhere that I know of. I've done at least a hundred out of state deals, everywhere from Maine to Louisiana to Colorado to New Mexico. It's very simple to do.

As for the book, it's a big black 3-ring binder that details every state's taxes and fees and how to do it. I forget the name of the company that distributes it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
LOL..Explanation above!

It's just a courtesy delivery. I see.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:09 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
It's just a courtesy delivery. I see.
Didn't realize it had a name! But I guess, that is it exactly!
To the OP...sorry for hijacking your thread. My apologies!

Old 04-14-2015, 01:21 PM

4 posts, read 8,241 times
Default title transfer from dealership

Quote:
Need to know the states involved ... purchase state and residence state.
bought the vehicle from dealership in Illinois, live in Wisconsin

Old 04-14-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Have bought several cars out of State. The dealer takes care of only his state's nuisance fees. Taxes are paid to the state the car is registered in.Dealer has nothing to do with where and when you register the car.
question then Shelby, why do they charge a registration fee then?

Old 04-14-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csigg View Post
bought the vehicle from dealership in Illinois, live in Wisconsin
Ill. live in WI.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Need to know the states involved ... purchase state and residence state.
purchased in Illinois, resident state is Wisconsin.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,825 times
I'm planing to buy a truck in San Francisco and drive it with my family to Missouri stopping to camp at a couple places on the way.

Does anyone know if I will need to do anything besides get a transit license? Will I have to pay taxes or get smog tests etc...?

Old 04-18-2016, 07:44 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Obviously, the only correct answer to the OP's question is "It depends!"
In California, every dealer seems to be a State Department of Motor Vehicles representative. The dealer takes care of ALL the paperwork, collects the taxes and registration fees, and issues the new registration to the buyer. The license plates stay with the vehicle forever, or until it is sold out of state.
I have, in the past, purchased two used vehicles from California dealers, and that is how it was handled. Even though they knew I was a resident of Montana, and the vehicle would be registered in Montana, they still collected the sales tax and registration fees. They would not just give me the paperwork to take to Montana!
Private party sales in CA are entirely different. the seller gives the buyer the title, and the buyer transfers the title. I have done that a couple of times, too.
However, here in Montana NOBODY takes care of DMV paperwork except the DMV! the license plates belong to the registered owner, not the vehicle. The seller keeps the plates. The dealer won't even have any license plates, except for his temporary "dealer plates".

Yes, the process is VERY "State specific", and as such it is for all practical purposes an unanswerable question unless the states are specified!

Old 04-18-2016, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,825 times
<br>It would be a private sale no dealer involved.<br>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive