Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 03:43 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,225,459 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what to think of this either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It didn't just fall out of the sky, from what I've the NTSB suspected an electrical arc in a vapor filled empty fuel tank caused an explosion and subsequent in-flight break up.
And there's a big hole with the NTSB story... why in the world would a plane take off on an empty fuel tank heading out over the Atlantic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 04:04 PM

68,285 posts, read 54,094,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
I'm not sure what to think of this either.

And there's a big hole with the NTSB story... why in the world would a plane take off on an empty fuel tank heading out over the Atlantic?

Happens all the time, excess fuel=extra weight, aircraft are fueled to a level consistent with load and route of flight with required reserve, anything extra costs $$$$$$$ and this is not a high margin industry.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:09 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,225,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Happens all the time, excess fuel=extra weight, aircraft are fueled to a level consistent with load and route of flight with required reserve, anything extra costs $$$$$$$ and this is not a high margin industry.
50-60% full, I can understand. But an empty tank when they are just starting to go over the big pond?

Old 07-02-2007, 05:03 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,661,585 times
That's weird if it left with an empty tank over the Atlantic...very weird. I'd like to see that in writing, though. Do we have a link?

Old 07-02-2007, 05:08 PM

68,285 posts, read 54,094,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
50-60% full, I can understand. But an empty tank when they are just starting to go over the big pond?

You have to realize 'over the pond' is a big area, big difference going to London or on to Istanbul for example and fuel would be adjusted accordingly and is also dependent on number of passengers and cargo weight. Depending on loadin different tanks can also be filled/emptied to affect the center of gravity of the aircraft which must be kept in a certain range.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:51 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,024,645 times
Some basic questions:
1. What was the altitude of the aircraft at the time of first explosion?
2. What was the velocity of the aircraft at the time of first explosion?
3. How much fuel is necessary for a 747 to go from JFK to Paris?
4. Was there really someone missing from the flight, yet 'her' luggage was on board?
5. Why did it take +50 some minutes to search for this missing person?
6. What occurs inside the aircraft as it sits on the tarmac for that length of time?
7. Are there surface-to-air missiles capable of hitting that aircraft at that position, at that speed/altitude?
8. If so, who would have access to such?
9. If not a missile, but a bomb, where was it planted, and what type of material?
10. Who would "profit" by destroying this aircraft, and killing over 230 people?
11. What to make of the witnesses who claim to have seen a streak, such as a missile, that went up, upon a different path than the plane itself?
12. What was the final outcome of the search for William Kabofovic - man not on the roster, but who's name appeared upon a bag found in the debris?
13. Is it true that traces of explosives were found upon the right wing, after the explosion?
14. Has the NTSB, or any other agency/entity, ever been able to duplicate, via computer models/simulation or otherwise, a spark causing a center wing fuel tank to explode, exactly in this manner?
15. Why, when something terrible happens, many people rush to believe that something nefarious is the root cause?

Just found, for those interested, the official unofficial website of those devoted to this tragedy: TWA 800: An Introduction

Old 07-10-2008, 09:13 AM

8,774 posts, read 10,186,794 times
I realize this is a year old thread now but I'd like to add a thought. Was it a faulty leak? was it just simply a horrible accident that could not be avoided? we dont know. But, I have some reason to believe terrorism may have been involved, and remember, the nation had been a victim of terrorism recently before July 1996. Remember the 1993 world trade center bombings?, the event in Waco,Texas that same year, the OKC bombings? and even after TWA 800, the pipe bomb at the Summer Olympics in Atlanta?
Also similar to what Shadowcaver said, there was reports of unusual activity at the airport at the time.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:01 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,159,253 times
Lets say for the sake of argument the plane was at 20,000 feet. Almost 4 miles up. Cruising at 400mph more like 500.
A stinger which some might suggest would not have the range.
The so called Navy ship that wasn't really there. It would have needed to be within 30 miles of the contact to even have a chance to tag it less as a matter of fact.
If the Navy had tagged it you can bet at least 1 sailor out of that crew would have talked.... My bet would be many many more than 1.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:43 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,024,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Lets say for the sake of argument the plane was at 20,000 feet. Almost 4 miles up. Cruising at 400mph more like 500.
A stinger which some might suggest would not have the range.
The so called Navy ship that wasn't really there. It would have needed to be within 30 miles of the contact to even have a chance to tag it less as a matter of fact.
If the Navy had tagged it you can bet at least 1 sailor out of that crew would have talked.... My bet would be many many more than 1.
Silly guy,,, don't you know that after "they" were done with them, that this crew would have vanished, ala Philadelphia?

Old 07-10-2008, 03:46 PM

564 posts, read 890,408 times
Why do you think the FBI and CIA were all over this? The navy denied exercises in the beginning, then said oops, yeah we were there. Over 100 eyewitnesses saw an object go to the air from sea, no way over 100 witnesses could be wrong. The FBI made sure the over 100 eyewitnesses were never brought in to any investigation.

One thing I though Ironic, a few days later, talks with Libya started up after that mess with Qaddafi so many years earlier, and no one seemed to put the two together. Do you remember the Libyan commercial airplane we blew out of the sky? The navy thought it was a military aircraft?

So, our Navy is almost directly underneath a U.S. commercial plane that blows up, the Feds get all over it concoct all kinds of videos and briefs to the public instantly to gain control of the situation....And poomf a few days later, were talking to Libya after years?????Coincidence????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation