Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 PM

3 posts, read 26,381 times

Advertisements

Ok, so, I'm a junior in high school. The plan is to attend Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) because of what I've heard about it; it sounds like a great college and the type of envrionment I could get into and everything. I am also very interested in the military and hopefully becoming a fighter pilot. So naturally, this led me to start looking into the ROTC programs. From what I've seen on their website and other sites, they have great ROTC programs for the 3 branches of military I'm interested in (Navy, Air Force, and the Marines). It's pretty much been a lifelong dream to be in the Marine Coprs, and for the last couple years my dad (once a Marine) has helped shape my ambitions towards being an officer regardless of the branch I go in. In summary, my biggest career goal is to basically become a fighter pilot, however, I still want to go into the Marines a LOT; I know both of these are possible but I'm not sure how probable it is that they will coincide . I'm pretty sure that Navy or AF would help me get to being fighter pilot a little bit better than the Marines - not positive but pretty sure. So assuming I can get into the ERAU ROTC program with my grades, extra-curriculars, etc., what branch do you think I should choose? And why? Any advice is welcomed and greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 06:58 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Isn't this the primary job of most jet pilots? My buddy would say Air Force as he is Ret. Sgt. Major and worked with the fighter program.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:24 AM

41 posts, read 153,210 times
Should really ask this in the military section.

If you enjoy being on water, then maybe Navy, but I believe the training is longer and harder due to carrier flight operations training compared to Air Force.

Also be prepared to not get commissioned into a jet and end up flying something else, competition is high.

Have you seen the documentary on Youtube called, Speed & Angels? Its about Navy fighter pilots.

Overall, I commend you on having a pretty solid plan for your career while just being a HS junior.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:38 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
It's actually only two ROTC programs. Navy ROTC (NROTC) and AFROTC (NROTC). The NROTC has 3 options. Navy, Nurse Corps, and Marine. No matter which option you apply for under the NROTC, once in you can move between the options. Also, marine pilots are actually Naval Aviators. You train at NAS Pensacola. A Marine is even part of the Blue Angels and the "Fat Albert" KC-130 that accomapnies the team is a Marine pilot and crew. My advice would be to apply for all the NROTC schoalrships (I belive you can even have two applications inf or the NROTC, one with the ANvy, one with the Marines) first off and see if you can get accepted that route. Being in ROTC and having an opportunity for a commission is much different than having a ROTC scholarship and having your college paid for and a stipend along the way.

As a junior, now is the time to start the process of applying. Make sure you take the SAT this year and do some research to find out what the qualifying score is for each service. I know the Marines require a combined math & verbal on the SAT of a 1000, I believe it's 1050 for the Navy, not sure about the AF. For the ACT the score is 22. Whatever you test you take make sure you put down the code to have your score released to the ROTCs. Also, the NROTC has a lot of references you need to get from teachers and such. Under the Marine Corps option you will have to run a full PFT as well.

Now to more specifically answer your question, (and full disclosure, I am a Marine recruiter), I'd think the Marines would be the best option. The reason being is, nobidy thinks of Marines when they think of planes, despite the fact of that being our largest MOS. Looking at 2009 stats ( the most recent I have within arms reach) there were 5,565 pilots versus 2,293 infantry officers, the next closest MOS (A little over 20k officers total in 2009). I remember about a year ago when I first got out here the Officer side was so full that the only way you were going to get an OCS seat was if you were a female, minority, or qualified for pilot training. The situtation may still be similar, I don't keep up with the specifics of waht the Officer Selection Offciice is looking for, though they've made it known that they are hungry to fill their minority quotas still. Just to sum all this up. NROTC -Marine option would be your best best b/c peopel who want to be pilots have a natural inclination to look at the AF or Navy first, meaning more competition. Pilots are the largest officer MOS in the Marine Corps, but one of the mroe difficult ones to fill, meaning less competition.

Edit: Wanted to add that there are 2 looks for teh NROTC scholarship. The first deadline is in Oct for the first look. Feb for the 2nd. The cool thing is that everyone passed over in the first round automatically makes it to the 2nd, meaning you get 2 chances to get awarded the scholarship. That's why it's importnat for you to tak e the SAT this spring and complete your application by October.

https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/

Last edited by macjr82; 02-04-2011 at 10:50 AM..

Old 07-29-2012, 12:20 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
I would suggest you consider joining the cadet program of CAP: Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary which allows cadets to get 5 free orientation flights in airplanes and another 5 free orientation flights in gliders all funded by the USAF. CAP also helps cadets to get flight/pilot training in gliders and airplanes.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:08 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
i think macjr82 has the best option for you if you want the best shot at flying fighters. the marines fly three basic aircraft, iirc, the F/A18 hornet/super hornet, the AV8B harrier, and the cobra attack helicopter. i dont recall any other aircraft that the marines fly right now, but i may be wrong. understand however that marine basic is tougher than the other services, and for good reason, they will push you to your limits and beyond. but the rewards are good if you make it through. by the way, i am NOT a marine.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:12 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Also, ROTC only gets you the commission (Ensign for the Navy, 2nd LT for the Marines or Air Force). Getting accepted to Flight School/PriFly is another separate process in itself and is quite competitive.

As far as which aircraft you end up flying the key phrase for all of them is now and always has been "Needs of the Service".

Although this is an Aviation topic it really should be in Military Life.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:24 PM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
While my process is dated (30 years ago) I was an ROTC grad, was on a full 4-year scholarship with a flight option. The flight screening process was in my sophomore year and when I entered POC, the junior/senior year portion of ROTC, I had my UPT slot. That was then. I understand things are WAY different now. In the mid-90s when there was the big drawdown ROTC cadets were getting "back burnered" and not getting to go to UPT. In all, I found that being an Academy cadet made for a much greater chance of getting a pilot slot. My UPT class was mostly Academy.

The first service that offered me an ROTC scholarship was the Navy; they could not guarantee me anything the way the Air Force did. In fact, they said I had an equally good chance of ending up on a boat (read as submarine) than a carrier. I appreciate their candor and honesty to this day.

To me, the advantage of ROTC is the chance to have a college education with all those things that college offers. Otherwise, knowing what I know now, I would've taken that USAFA appointment when it was offered to me.

ADDITIONAL: Marines also fly EA-6s and C-130s. I do some weapons effects plotting nowdays and Marine aircraft are part of the deal.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
ADDITIONAL: Marines also fly EA-6s and C-130s. I do some weapons effects plotting nowdays and Marine aircraft are part of the deal.
good to know that. i figured the marines left the airlift to the air force, and i thought the EA6B prowler was out of service.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:25 PM

48 posts, read 87,762 times
I would suggest thinking about your career after the military (whatever branch you pick). If you want to be a pilot down the road, I would say the safest way is to pick a route that lets you fly the heavies (tankers, transport etc). Couple thousand hours in a KC135, C17 etc will go a long way when FEDEX or UPS is hiring. Don't wanna disuede from being a fighter pilot.. there is nothing more I would like to do. But if your option is 10% chance at success as a fighter pilot vs 50% change for a more 'regular' flight position, I would pick the latter.

I am not a pilot, but am in the aviation industry as an air traffic control at denver. I am a relatively young guy, but must of my superiors say this is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
good to know that. i figured the marines left the airlift to the air force, and i thought the EA6B prowler was out of service.
We still have then come in for cross country/transient flights quite frequently at BKF... once a month maybe?

And for what it's worth, I went to ERAU Daytona for 2 years and hated it. Graduated from Purdue when I got outta Daytona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation