Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:07 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Started flying when I was 12 years old and have never looked back. Was able to work off my airplane and have had it for years. It is a Mooney 201 I had always wanted that plane especially since it was what I started flying in.
One would assume that started flying at 12 years old in a 201 was a family or very good friend of family aircraft in which you were allowed to be in that left seat when you could reach the pedals.

That's a lot of bird to learn to fly in ... and a nice bird, too.

Although I have a commercial pilot friend who taught his 12 year old in a 185 and the "kid" now flies for the big boys. That was an awesome machine to learn to fly in ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 04:38 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,216 times
I'm scared to death of flying so I don't fly. I mean really scared. Send me a postcard instead. What's funny is that I love airplanes and find them fascinating. I enjoy working on model airplanes and hanging them up. I also got into R.C. airplanes and helis. I catch myself always reading those expensive $10 airplane magazines at Barnes and Noble and reading up on the airline industry and the history of airplanes. WWII Warbirds are my favorite planes. I like looking up to the sky and watching commercial airliners fly over my house as they're about to land at Ontario International Airport.

As such a friend of mine suggested that I learn how to fly to get over flying and since I like aircraft. He says I'm missing out on so much such as traveling and going to other countries and experiencing other cultures. Anyways, does he have a point about learning?

-Cheers.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:30 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I'm scared to death of flying so I don't fly. I mean really scared.

As such a friend of mine suggested that I learn how to fly to get over flying and since I like aircraft. He says I'm missing out on so much such as traveling and going to other countries and experiencing other cultures. Anyways, does he have a point about learning?

-Cheers.
Learning to fly in small aircraft may help you with the fears issue and reluctance to board commercial aircraft and do some serious traveling.

Only one way to really know: start. Do it.

Perhaps there is an FBO at a local close-by General Aviation airport (or airstrip) that has an inexpensive 30 minute "intro" flight. Many do to give people a sampler of what it's like to fly, and you actually sit in the left front (pilot's) seat and work the controls under the close supervision of an instructor by your side. With dual controls, the instructor can allow you to do as much of the flying as you appear to be able to handle without your worrying that you'll make a mistake that has bad consequences. The instructor will handle all the communication/navigation/aviation procedure chores, you just have to sit there and follow instructions to get the plane started, taxi out, and take off. It's pretty simple stuff, really, but it will seem like a lot of stuff to do your first time and it will take almost all of your attention to do so, so it minimizes your time to think about whatever it is that is the basis of your fears. Check the ads in your yellow pages for flight instruction or aircraft services, that's where you'll locate an FBO.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:46 PM

414 posts, read 1,095,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
looking for a new hobby and I always wanted to learn how to fly and checked out a few flight schools and they say that best thing to do is they will take you up and let you try flying and try it out to see but being winter that is out.

on another note I priced out 2 and 4 used seat cessna's and pipers and I would be buying a late 80's early 90's models but still kinda new to it

anyways would be neat to hear from people that are into it
Believe me, it's fun! Really, really fun!

Just know your math for the written test.

I know a lot of pilots at our local airport (my dad being one of them--I stupidly abandoned my pilot lessons when I went to University). Many who are not independently wealthy and cannot really afford the hobby on their own, do a "time share" so to speak of their airplane, taking 1/3 or 1/4 share in its price and maintenance and then scheduling the time they use it. From what I've seen that leads to two or three pilots using the plane periodically, and one being its primary flyer. That kind of arrangement can really save on costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation