Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:10 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,008,306 times

Advertisements

I'm married to a pilot as well. You need to have trust. They are gone a lot, and on overnights they will go out with their crew which includes flight attendants. If you are the jealous type, it's not gonna work. It helps that I'm in the industry as well so I "get it".

Is it easy for them to cheat? Sure, they are gone all the time in different cities. But anyone can/will cheat regardless of profession if they really want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 09:16 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgirl76 View Post
I have met an airline pilot, and have considered going on a date with him. I am just wondering what challenges anyone has faced dating a pilot? I know they are gone 3 to 4 days out of a week, which probably won't be a problem for me. In a previous relationship, he traveled for work about 2 weeks out of a month....Just want to see what you all think???
You're obviously in it for the glory. What the heck do YOU do? Expect to be cheated on.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
You're obviously in it for the glory. What the heck do YOU do? Expect to be cheated on.
Glory?? Of what?

Old 10-03-2012, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 8,591 times
Cool be honest

Man... I'm reading this conversation and... be honest ... as an uncommitted person I can say that cheeting and rude man are everywhere. Considering my own proffesional environment, the corporative one (huge financial company), there are people strongly focused on "the targed". They spend as much time in office as they can - sometimes 12-20 hours a day (so this 4 left is nothing). They're spending free time with office collegues rather than with familly or friends (the ones outside of company), just to be settled higher in carrer ladder. They're cheeting their partners for the same reason, to go further in career. Most of them dont know anything about loyality, trust and honesty. moreover they dont really need to have skills (professional, not the foxy one).
I know, I'm little far from the origin but what I want to say is that in every environment can be cheeters and arrogant people, but as far I was dating with a pilot some time ago I can say that only: passionate, determined, well organized, consequent people can be a pilot and that impress me a lot - this true passion-nothing fake, no like in case of sleek businessmans stucked in rat race.
Yes they're spending (pilots I mean) a lot of time far from home but when they finally got back they can spend all the free time with their relatives and friends. They are often passionate within other areas of live - they know how to derive all the funny from live. And thats good! I know that it is hard to be partner of a pilot, but when You learn to taking what is offered to You (trips, restaurants, possibility to know new people, to have fun). And when they got back they need "home treatment". Grounded partners have to learn to fill up their times apart. And If its going about layovers - hey why they have to sit in hotels all the time??? When I'm on my business trips I'm always trying to see more then the hotel room and foyer. Pilots are people like others - theres good and bad ones, but in my opinion I wish I could share my life with a passionate pilot, not with boring businessman...
Wow - now I realized the size of my reply.... I'm sorry I'm little bored, while I'm sick and have to lay in a bed, stuffed with medicine.... uhhhhh

Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,488,743 times
I was married to one for a long time. Had his children. A lot of our friends were in the airline family. I am in another field so I can say it is definitely a different world. As far as dating one, are they on standby, do they have a schedule? Do they fly domestic or international? Lots of variables.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:18 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,443,172 times
One thing you need to know about pilots is they are cheap cheap cheap. It stems from when you first get out in the work force you make no money. Even after making significantly more most do not change their lifestyle much due to the possibility of a furlough.

If he/she picks you up in a 15 or 20 year old car don't think anything of it, and wants to do a cheap date, also don't think anything of it. If you are frugal you're in.

Here's a quick little article describing the personality of the typical pilot put out by ALPA, the pilots union.

Airline Pilot Central - The Pilot Personality

Old 10-04-2012, 12:10 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Frankly I think I would do well in this kind of relationship. I get my alone time, and I like a lot of alone time, and they do the job they love.

And frugal is always best, even if you do have some money. It can always disappear.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,443,172 times
The joke in the industry is "it's not a job, it's a lifestyle"

A lot of the single guys might have a room they rent or a very small apartment, but they don't really live there. On their days off they are all sorts of places. My buddy even sat reserve on a sailboat off the coast of the UK and he worked for a US carrier. Callout was 2 days.

After doing that a little while he rented a place in some Asian rim country, on the beach, complete with a housekeeper, for something like $30/day.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:27 AM

2 posts, read 8,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
One thing you need to know about pilots is they are cheap cheap cheap. It stems from when you first get out in the work force you make no money. Even after making significantly more most do not change their lifestyle much due to the possibility of a furlough.

If he/she picks you up in a 15 or 20 year old car don't think anything of it, and wants to do a cheap date, also don't think anything of it. If you are frugal you're in.

Here's a quick little article describing the personality of the typical pilot put out by ALPA, the pilots union.

Airline Pilot Central - The Pilot Personality

Hehehehe nice article, and I found a lot o ME within the decsribed characteristics, and I'm really far from aviation in my job hehehehehe (except a have to keep the highest level of security as possible). So maybe thats why beeing with a pilot (commercial airlane, long flights with stopovers) was such a nice stage in my life.

And I think that it is everything about finding the plane of understanding. The guys with personality problems lives everywhere regardless of their occupation.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:15 AM

249 posts, read 306,574 times
Most airline pilots are jerks. What do you expect when most people put you on a pedestal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation