Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:00 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,604,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr00th View Post
I have a G.E.D. and 67 college credits. The A&P program I took was considered by the college to be a non-credit program.

Should I go back to school and get my AA or does it even matter?

Could I get my Bachelors degree in the Army, do I still get the rank of E-4 when I'm done or is that a one time thing in the begining?
Doesn't matter for the army, but career wise? Yea, it helps its another feather in your resume cap. If you only need a little work to finish it then pick it up. The E-4 thing is in the initial enlistment if you have it then you start as an E-4 if not E-3. I'd also get a copy of my transcripts and copy them about a 100 times and give a copy to everybody you encounter throughout the enlistment process so you ensure you start as an E-3.

I don't know Army advancement but you should be able to make E-4 within 18 months of enlistment.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 07:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
I have a G.E.D. and 67 college credits. The A&P program I took was considered by the college to be a non-credit program.

Should I go back to school and get my AA or does it even matter?

Could I get my Bachelors degree in the Army, do I still get the rank of E-4 when I'm done or is that a one time thing in the begining?
The enlisted promotion system looks at civilian education as well as military education and on every promotion board I have sat on (both sides) the question "what have you been doing to make yourself a better soldier?" or similiar.

I am retired Army.

I finished my A&P training in 1966 (George T. Baker), but did not get my tickets until around 1972. But that education was looked at favorably...

You could get your Bachelors degree while in the Army, I did...

Not official, but a good guide: Army-Portal.com - Army Enlisted Ranks and Promotion Requirements

G.E.D? some services do not take it, some require some college which you should be good.

Rich

Old 02-04-2012, 11:41 AM

228 posts, read 718,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The enlisted promotion system looks at civilian education as well as military education and on every promotion board I have sat on (both sides) the question "what have you been doing to make yourself a better soldier?" or similiar.

I am retired Army.

I finished my A&P training in 1966 (George T. Baker), but did not get my tickets until around 1972. But that education was looked at favorably...

You could get your Bachelors degree while in the Army, I did...

Not official, but a good guide: Army-Portal.com - Army Enlisted Ranks and Promotion Requirements

G.E.D? some services do not take it, some require some college which you should be good.

Rich
It's cool you went to Baker here in Miami, I was going to go there. It's a great school.

What esle can you guys tell me about aviation in the army? Anything I should be aware of, any tips to success in this field?

Old 02-04-2012, 12:22 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
What esle can you guys tell me about aviation in the army?
Not much... I was in Hawk Missiles... Use to be on a missile site on Old Cutler Road 15 miles North East of Homestead AFB, FL...

Rich

Old 02-04-2012, 03:50 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Quote:
It's cool you went to Baker here in Miami, I was going to go there. It's a great school.

What esle can you guys tell me about aviation in the army? Anything I should be aware of, any tips to success in this field?
As with anything, you will only get what you put into it......The schools (AIT) only teach so much....and everything else is hands on. This is why I loved going to flight platoon....it was your ACFT, you took care of it...you cleaned it, you made sure it was ready, you changed all the parts that needed changed, including engines, transmissions, radios, signal processors, and well, if it needed changing....guess what...YOU did it...

Just remember, you have different companies, one is flight company and the other is a maintenance company, in a flight company you will ALWAYS work on ACFT.......if your in a maintenance company, you do not always have to work on the ACFT, they will put you were needed...when needed, go to the motorpool and service that truck, go to the weapons room and clean/issue weapons....or if you are really lucky, you will become the First Sergeant's (1SG) paper pusher....and NEVER see an ACFT....

I wish I could explain it better, but seeing it from both sides....I used to be OH-58s from 1988 - 1995, and trust me, working on something that you have to fly in is a real accomplishment....working on something and watching it fly away...sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! And did I ever mention you get paid just a little extra for being in a FLT PLT? about $150 extra....

Old 02-04-2012, 08:23 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,527,248 times
Tr00th, the Army Aviation folks have given you great advice. I served in the USAF and enjoyed working with Army Aviation folks; they're a great bunch! I could've never imagined myself in aircraft maintenance but I found myself crewing fighters and now I couldn't imagine doing any other job in the military. Although not as many as the Army, the USAF does have helicopters. I spent most of my time on fighter aircraft but always thought the cargo/tanker/bomber aircraft would've been great to work on.

Best of luck in whichever direction you choose! Keep us posted.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:23 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I served in the USAF and enjoyed working with Army Aviation folks; they're a great bunch! .
Thank you, I enjoyed working with the Air Force also....

One of the best times was way back in 1990....in Saudi...we had a dirt airstrip that was within 300 yards off our little camp site....well, us being Aviation....on day we decided to make 1 - 10 numbers on the back of card board MRE box's

When a C-130 would start to do touch and go's.....we would go down there and hold up our signs....and rate them on there touch and go's....

Very nice....we got a lot of "extra's" when they flew in....and landed...

Old 02-04-2012, 10:15 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,043 times
Read this whole thread............not much I can help you with,i'm too ancient.Crewed a UH1H in 71-72............I did "get" to fly with it.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:24 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,527,248 times
Chucksnee, I was stationed at a base long ago and far away. We regularly got in Chinooks for some mission or other. One day a Chinook brought in an inspection team for our base Comm unit. The aircrew waited for the inspection team in our office, which we shared with the ground support equipment & drop tank maintenance/storage folks. The tank maintenance NCOIC had a non-running VW Bug behind the hangar. He and the Chinook pilot struck up a deal and we pulled it out to the Chinook with our Follow Me truck. The crew winched it aboard & tied it down. The inspection team returned and got back on the Chinook without a word. And away they went!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:02 AM

228 posts, read 718,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Tr00th, the Army Aviation folks have given you great advice. I served in the USAF and enjoyed working with Army Aviation folks; they're a great bunch! I could've never imagined myself in aircraft maintenance but I found myself crewing fighters and now I couldn't imagine doing any other job in the military. Although not as many as the Army, the USAF does have helicopters. I spent most of my time on fighter aircraft but always thought the cargo/tanker/bomber aircraft would've been great to work on.

Best of luck in whichever direction you choose! Keep us posted.
Thanks Crew Chief and everyone here for helping me see the good and bad parts of this MOS. I am going to talk to a recuiter sometime this week for sure.

I can't see any real reason why I shouldn't join. But if I do I will let you know. Also, Chief I didn't know the Air Force had rotorwing aircraft, I always thought it was all fixed wing. I will definally look into that, maybe they have a better program. Thanks for that.

If you guys have more to add feel free, if not then thanks again for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation