Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:50 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,157,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Since the usual detractors cannot seem to stick to the thread topic, here are more mainstream new sources addressing the loss of privacy to federal government use of drones. Go ahead and tear apart the ever liberal USA Today or more conservative leaning Forbes.

Domestic use of drones? Bad idea

Is Privacy Dead? Yes, If America's Surveillance State Drones On - Forbes

Maybe this you would like to call a conspiracy theory website?

EPIC - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) and Drones
Doesn't matter what anyone say. The drones are here to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 10:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,107,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
What state do you estimate will be the first one President Obama send Drones over to attack citizens with Hellfire Missiles?
Well gee, some Texas LE's have suggested manning those drones with tear gas and rubber bullets.

Groups Concerned Over Arming Of Domestic Drones « CBS DC

Old 06-05-2012, 10:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,107,183 times
Congress ordered 30,000 drones for US use. That's 600 drones per state (50 states). I'd imagine Delaware wouldn't need all 600 though.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:08 AM

68,271 posts, read 53,985,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Was I addessing you? No. The poster to whom I was addressing was referring to surveillance of criminal activites of local LE jurisdiction as an excuse for the EPA drones. If you cannot keep up with the context of the post then don't bother addressing my posts.
Well, actually you responded to "They've been using helicopters to follow criminals in cars, spot marijuana grows out in the back country etc. for 30 years." which makes NO reference to "local LE jurisdiction" as you allege.

To the EPA, pollution IS a criminal activity, and as mentioned,criminal activity has been surveilled from the air for many years.

If YOU can't keep up with the simple context of a thread perhaps your time would be better spent improving your reading comprehension than imagining things that were said that weren't.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:09 AM

68,271 posts, read 53,985,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Congress ordered 30,000 drones for US use. That's 600 drones per state (50 states). I'd imagine Delaware wouldn't need all 600 though.
No competetive bid?

Sounds like a nice dose of corporate welfare for 'someone'

Old 06-05-2012, 11:14 AM

31,285 posts, read 20,618,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
» EPA Using Drones to Spy on Cattle Ranchers in Nebraska and Iowa Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

How is this allowed? Its unconstitutional and proof that our privacy is an illusion.

We should all write our congressmen and express our opposition to these drones. This is a violation of our right to privacy and should require a warrant just like wiretaps.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:21 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,025,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
How is this any different than <insert law enforcement agency here> using helicopters?

Y'all are trained to react to certain words in certain ways. You hear/read the word "drone" and you instantly picture every futuristic big brother style sci-fi film you've ever seen. Good doggy. Pavlov would be proud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Manned aircraft have been used for surveillance over private property for many years looking for things such as marijuana growing operations with little/no outcry from the public. Why does the lack of a living breathing pilot matter? Or just another lame excuse to blame Obama for something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They've been using helicopters to follow criminals in cars, spot marijuana grows out in the back country etc. for 30 years.

You're kidding right? On the average day, how many police helicopters do you have hovering over your house? I'd reconcile not even one. Conversely, the skies can handle FAR more drones with significantly more surveillance capability.

I don't think this is an issue that is served well by apathy. I hope that there aren't many people in this nation that share your view.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:22 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,766,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
We should all write our congressmen and express our opposition to these drones. This is a violation of our right to privacy and should require a warrant just like wiretaps.
Indeed, this can be addressed via the 10th Amendment and the states nullifying federal policy with state legislation.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:23 AM

23,420 posts, read 23,765,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Do you have the same concerns with helicopters? Satellite photography? Why the outrage now?

I think that we're far too over-regulated in this country, and that many of the laws - federal, state and local - are beyond overreaching, but this noise being made about the use of drones is just plain silly. It's the stuff of paranoid fantasy. You can argue against the laws, and more often than not, I'll be right beside you, but I've said it several times on this forum, and I'll say it again now: DRONES ARE NO DIFFERENT THAN HELICOPTERS. If you're ok with helicopters patrolling for whatever, then you should be equally ok with drones patrolling for whatever.

If someone's making noise about the use of drones, without making an equal amount of noise about the use of helicopters (or even satellites), then that person is either stupid or a hypocrite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation