U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 07-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Status: "Friends come and go. enemies accumalate" (set 26 days ago)
 
7,219 posts, read 5,112,788 times
Reputation: 2436

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Well, no. Once again we see the far left attacking physical objects and assuming people have an objection to them than the potential abuse of their use by our federal government.

Drones, like any other technology, have the potential to be used for good or for evil. Obama and the USDA have shown the federal government is willing to abuse that power with drones early from the onset.

In contrast, the use of drones in fighting wild fires, search and rescue operations, patroling our unsecured borders, would be good applications where conditions may be to treacherous to send manned aircraft.

See the difference? As always, it is the application and the ethics of those employing it, not the technolgy itself.
Let's see some truth before anymore extreme rwnjb blabbering jibberish.What abuse and where?"Obama and the USDA have shown the federal government is willing to abuse that power with drones early from the onset."
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2012, 10:56 AM
 
11,078 posts, read 2,859,954 times
Reputation: 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Well, no. Once again we see the far left attacking physical objects and assuming people have an objection to them than the potential abuse of their use by our federal government.

Drones, like any other technology, have the potential to be used for good or for evil. Obama and the USDA have shown the federal government is willing to abuse that power with drones early from the onset.

In contrast, the use of drones in fighting wild fires, search and rescue operations, patrolling our unsecured borders, would be good applications where conditions may be to treacherous to send manned aircraft.

See the difference? As always, it is the application and the ethics of those employing it, not the technology itself.
When their purpose turns into one of spying on the American people, in hopes of catching them doing something government does not like, then we object. Scanning for forest fires and assisting in forecasting weather is just fine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Somewhere East of Laramie
29,569 posts, read 18,808,891 times
Reputation: 12583
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Helicopters, and especially satellites in geosynchronous orbit, are very expensive to operate, and are not used to willy-nilly spy on everyone, hoping to catch them doing something wrong.
Among other things manned aircraft are used to look into peoples' property looking for marijuana growing operations, this is any differnt than a drone how? I don't buy the cost concern, since when has that stopped government agencies?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Somewhere East of Laramie
29,569 posts, read 18,808,891 times
Reputation: 12583
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
When their purpose turns into one of spying on the American people, in hopes of catching them doing something government does not like, then we object. Scanning for forest fires and assisting in forecasting weather is just fine.
By that standard all regular police patrols would be cancelled. Stilol doesn't explain the irrational fear of drones.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 11:00 AM
 
11,078 posts, read 2,859,954 times
Reputation: 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Let's see some truth before anymore extreme rwnjb blabbering jibberish.What abuse and where?"Obama and the USDA have shown the federal government is willing to abuse that power with drones early from the onset."
The EPA does use drones for "aerial surveillance" of farms and ranches to spy on them so they can try and catch them breaking one of their tens of thousands of EPA regulations.

I still wonder where in the US Constitution the EPA is allowed to exist and operate as it does.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 AM
 
29,990 posts, read 20,965,594 times
Reputation: 12387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Let's see some truth before anymore extreme rwnjb blabbering jibberish.What abuse and where?"Obama and the USDA have shown the federal government is willing to abuse that power with drones early from the onset."
Obama's murder of American citizens of foreign soil via drone strike. USDA in Nebraska's activities abuse enough to have Nebraska state legislature and the legislatures of other states put forward legislation to stop their surveillance sans warrants. Do you own research lazy leftie, if you are able. Don't expect others to continue to continually spoon feed you FACTS. You have a browser, use it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 AM
 
11,078 posts, read 2,859,954 times
Reputation: 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
By that standard all regular police patrols would be cancelled. Stilol doesn't explain the irrational fear of drones.
Sorry, then you are a lost cause. May as well allow government to place video surveillance in every room of your home, it's just like the police checking in to make sure you are safe.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Somewhere East of Laramie
29,569 posts, read 18,808,891 times
Reputation: 12583
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Sorry, then you are a lost cause. May as well allow government to place video surveillance in every room of your home, it's just like the police checking in to make sure you are safe.
Didn't say I agree with it now, did I?

But, I fail to see any difference in a radio cruiser patrol out looking for wrong doing in plain view than a drone over flyingan area looking for wrong doing in plain view.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Borne, TX
70 posts, read 93,120 times
Reputation: 88
Default Drone on...

Pilot free aircraft are here to stay. New technology will keep on coming. It can benefit us or hurt us depending on how it is used. One way to deter "big brother" is to allow for civil damages if they are caught snooping on someone with no justifiable reason.

The old question of "Who watches the watchers?" will remain.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Somewhere East of Laramie
29,569 posts, read 18,808,891 times
Reputation: 12583
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Obama's murder of American citizens of foreign soil via drone strike. USDA in Nebraska's activities abuse enough to have Nebraska state legislature and the legislatures of other states put forward legislation to stop their surveillance sans warrants. Do you own research lazy leftie, if you are able. Don't expect others to continue to continually spoon feed you FACTS. You have a browser, use it.
My browser can't seem to find anything saying airspace over farms is inviolate, can yours?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top