Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 04:30 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times

Advertisements

Gracie ....

take the "intro flights" for nominal cost before you do anything else, to see if there's a spark of real interest on your part.

If so, then head on over to your local AME (the folks at the FBO with the intro flight will be able to direct you to a few choices) for your 3rd class medical exam/learner's ticket. If you can pass that basic medical exam, then you've passed another hurdle on the way to getting a ticket; if you can't get a medical cert, then the rest of the program is not going to happen except for dual instruction.

To gauge your ability to grasp the technical info required, get a copy of some of the PPilot basic training materials ... I think they've all got good product, so it's tough to go wrong, although some may have a better explanation of a detail than another ... any of the famous names in the biz have DVD's. Sporty's, Gleim, King, etc, all advertise in the monthly flying magazines.

If you feel comfortable with the basic "book" knowledge and can do OK on the sample practice tests with the courses, you shouldn't have any problems with this aspect of your training. Be aware that the information needed to pass a PPilot ticket is a lot less than most pilots pursue in their interest ... but, at this point, all you're needing to do is to pass the written test, not be an "expert". It does help to have an interest in meterology & weather, rules/regulations, flight controls, and a very minor interest in the mechanical aspects of aviation. It helps if you're methodical, organized, and a list-maker/follower type of person.

You do need to have some grasp of simple formula mathmatics for the calculations needed ... Time/distance, fuel, weight and balance, etc. There's dedicated electronic calculators, the old circular slide rule E6-B (my favorite), and simple calculators to help with this ... they're easy to use, and cheap to acquire.

Do your due diligence with the local FBO's ... get an instructor that speaks and conducts their flight instuction in a way that makes you comfortable (as possible) with the challenges ahead. Expect that you will have some days where you can wring out your shirt after a flight ....

Join AOPA. Perhaps you'll be able to get a "mentor" lined up, which will be of great assistance to your pursuit of a ticket.

Personally, my "sim" time on well set up PC's was of little value except for planning Instrument procedures at unfamiliar airports, gaining situational awareness, and watching my flight track as I dealt with unforseen challenges ... crosswinds, etc. I found my flight schools' simulator a much better learning tool for my IFR ticket ... even that was a tough lesson, because the simulator didn't have control responses that came anywhere close to what I had in my training airplane. Maybe there's better simulators out there now, but I haven't "flown" one in years .... the big thing was learning to "scan" and fly/navigate with some precision at the same time.

How do you know if you "fit"? Only you can answer that question as you pursue your ticket.

In all candor, there's little that you need to do that's any more difficult than what it took to graduate high school for your basic PPilot ticket, although you do need to have a grasp of good judgement decision making to be a good pilot.

There's no "special" extreme knowledge needed to be able to fly, although knowing the applicable rules/regs/procedures for what you are doing can be daunting. I've had friends ... instructors for many years ... who tell me that they could teach an average student to basically "fly" in less than 10 hours; it was all the other stuff, the airspace system, communications, navigation, rules/regs, emergency procedures, etc., that made it a much more challenging process to get the fundamentals in place for the FAA checkride. On average, it takes a student somewhere around 65-75 hours of logged time these days to be ready for a checkride sign-off to then go fly with an FAA examiner.

If you are thinking about going past the PPilot level and flying professionally, then you'll have to have a much higher level of proficiency and technical knowledge mastered (along with a higher level of medical certification). You'll know if you've got what it takes when you work on your IFR ticket and your commercial ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 04:38 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
The first plane isn't a J-3, but the second picture is. I think the first one is a Aeronca or a Taylorcraft.
My fuzzy memory wants to say T-Craft.....definately NOT a J-3 and an Airknocker has more of a pot belly.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:30 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Gracie,
I’ve enjoyed flying the PC flight simulators. Well, more the online flight games. They were just fun chasing each other around the sky. I had the pedals, stick and throttle.
But for me there is a big difference in the actual handling of a real aircraft. And since on my PC I had to mouse to change settings on the instrument panel, it wasn't useful. Maybe for some IFR or nav work it may be useful.
Wish I could give you an answer about “”Fit”in order to succeed in the field?”
I assume you mean flying commercially. I’m a private pilot. Just fly for fun so cant really give you advice on that.
In some of the past posts I see some good advice on getting a license, like making sure you have enough money to see you through your training.
I’m luckily, my wife is also a pilot, so we don’t argue about where all the money is going
Whether we fly our planes or not, it still cost to maintain them. I’ve had people think I’m rich because I have two planes. But I just tell them that “I’m airplane poor”.
I’m usually flying the Piper Archer (pa-28-181) and my wife loves aerobatics and mostly flys the Decathlon (8kcab)

Good luck in your quest to seek a higher realm.
Aeroman
Thanks Mr airplane rich, oops i mean (poor) .. Seriously, i dont think your not doing too bad to have two planes as well as having a pilot for a wife, any chance you folks live in CA and offer a fellow city-data member a discount? .

The "Fit" question was regarding anyone taking up flying, from scratch.

I think its safe to say that its just way over my head to even contemplate about commercial pilot, though it would be nice but i think i'll take it a step at a time. Besides, i may take one of these taster flights and end up having a short flight back to base because i 5h!t my pants lol .. Ive always liked and enjoyed flying on the big jumbo jets when we go on vacations but im certain its going to be somewhat different on those two seater planes?

Old 11-05-2007, 06:52 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,721 times
Sunsprit, ill come fly by just to buy you a pint of beer if i ever get to succesfully obtain a PPilot license.

I was in the process of booking a taster flight with one of the flight schools near LA until the wife had me in fits because she started to have labor pains ... I'll get round to it soon enough though.

Im holding my breathe until i do the taster before i further asses my options, like i said in my previous post, i could enjoy all those holiday transit flights but when it comes to the real thing in being in the cockpit and having that feeling of flying my own plane? it may and could turn my knees to jelly in a jiffy. So ill hold my tongue for now, but im anticipating great times ahead.

At least i know, i wont have to run too far to know who to ask for great "Sound" advice.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:32 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,267 times
Thanks Sunspit, I knew there’d be someone who could explain things better than I.
Believe it or not, one of the hardest things for me to get used to was using the radio.
I did buy video tapes, they didn’t have DVDs back then. It was well worth the extra cash, they helped a lot. I’m a very visual learning type and was having a hard time with just the books.
Not going to tell you which ones I got, you’ll just start making jokes about Martha

Gracie,
I live in south west Idaho, do have a few friends in Sacramento area but not planning on visiting anytime soon.
Rich, lol. Anyway, my wife and I never had kids, just think of the money we saved. And now all the toys are ours .
Also started late in life, I’m 58 and have only been flying for about 12 years. So had plenty of time to save up some spare change.
With your interest in flying I think you’ll have a lot of fun your first flight in a small plane.

Cheers,
Aeroman

Old 11-08-2007, 09:48 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
My fuzzy memory wants to say T-Craft.....definately NOT a J-3 and an Airknocker has more of a pot belly.
I learned in a J-3. It is a really nice plane. I can take one off crossways on the highway. Give me 20 knots of breeze and I'll put it in the air. hahaha

The only problem I've had with a J-3 is that everything is canvas. You can step through the floor if your not carful. haha

Old 07-29-2012, 12:25 PM

43,638 posts, read 44,361,055 times
I suggest joining CAP (Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary) for anyone with an interest in aviation or learning how to fly. Members of CAP have access to the largest fleet of Cessna 172 aircraft in the USA as well as a pool of CFIs.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:44 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I suggest joining CAP (Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary) for anyone with an interest in aviation or learning how to fly. Members of CAP have access to the largest fleet of Cessna 172 aircraft in the USA as well as a pool of CFIs.
Any age limits on that? As in too old?

For years I wanted to be a commercial pilot. I was even accepted in Purdues aviation program. Now I'm in La School. I think about the positives of flying and the negatives and the very poor pay just didn't do it for me. I still look back and think I very well could be in an RJ right now at 23 years old coming from Purdue but I also could very well be in a 172 making $18,000 a year.

Aviation is still a huge part of my life and I very much plan on getting my PPL-Commerical at some point. Hopefully start PPL training after my 2 year of law school.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:08 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
I was nine the first time I was in the cockpit and the pilot let me have control. It was a heady experience until he circled to land, and _____________ (fill in the blank). Needless to say I love planes but not flying. I learned at an easy age that motion is not my friend. I have cousins who are pilots with whom I have great fun..

I once asked a friend who sails what is like to sail on large bodies of water. "Get in the shower with your clothes on, turn on the cold water and tear up $20 bills." I don't sail for the same reason I don't fly.

It doesn't stop me from enjoying the planes or boats. They are both offer a very special 'freedom' I will never be able to enjoy.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:41 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Any age limits on that? As in too old?

For years I wanted to be a commercial pilot. I was even accepted in Purdues aviation program. Now I'm in La School. I think about the positives of flying and the negatives and the very poor pay just didn't do it for me. I still look back and think I very well could be in an RJ right now at 23 years old coming from Purdue but I also could very well be in a 172 making $18,000 a year.

Aviation is still a huge part of my life and I very much plan on getting my PPL-Commercial at some point. Hopefully start PPL training after my 2 year of law school.
You chose right. Fly for fun. I did the rj thing for years and it was brutal. The flying itself is fun, but the harsh schedules, low pay, horrible job security, pay cuts, having to chose between uprooting your family often due to base realignments or choosing the hell that is commuting, all take a toll.

Everyone goes into the regional gig planning on a short stay, then on to the majors for the big bucks. The reality is many, many pilots are finding themselves career rj pilots. More and more flying gets outsourced to the regionals (who themselves are flying bigger planes with more seats, but pay remains low), while the majors trim jobs anywhere they can. So most jobs are at the regionals with an ever increasing number of those pilots vying for fewer and fewer major airline slots. In hindsight I wish I had kept flying a hobby and pursued a non-aviation education.

But definitely pursue the PPL. It's very rewarding and soooo worth it. I'd recommend the instrument rating also even if you don't plan on flying in instrument conditions. You'll come out with a much greater confidence in your abilities, as well as fly and navigate with more precision. And it greatly adds to your understanding of the aviation system and how it all meshes together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation