Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:04 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And where is that three foot tall child's legs supposed to go in a rear facing seat? Up his hiney?
Newer convertible seats provide leg room that lasts an average child easily till 2, but I admit it gets tough from there. They mostly sit indian style. I flip my kids forward at 2, anyway.

To loosely connect this to the OP: I was way too concerned about preventing someone from reclining to rear face my kid's seat on my flights. If we are going to fall out of the sky, I doubt the direction of the seat will make much difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 09:14 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
From a safety point of view I WILL NEVER set behind a child in a safety seat, The seats are designed to go forward (fold forward) as the person behind move forward in a crash. A safety seat prevents the seat from folding forward all the way.

Personal I think the only place the child safety seats should be allowed is in row that does not have anyone behind them.

Also in a NTSB study done after the UAL crash in Sioux City showed that more children would die (Overall) if child seats were required. (More families with Lap kids would drive putting more kids at risk). It also found that child seat in planes would save 1 child in a survivable crash every 20 years. As hundreds would die on the hi-way do to the cost of parents move from planes, to cars.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
Personally I find it very rude...showing no consideration for anyone other than yourself. I'm 6'3" and already eating my knees let alone when the seat is pushed back. If I sit properly without throwing a leg into the isle or spreading my knees into my neighbors space I cannot set the tray down as it is....having the seatback in front of me pushed back just makes it obscene.

what are your thoughts?
I agree, I think it's rude.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:36 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
I'm a woman who is 5'7" and even I hate the reclining people who put their heads in your lap. On a transatlantic trip maybe I'd like to have some space to read a magazine or to be able to move my legs. I am not overweight, I'm normal weight but maybe the airlines shouldn't make these seats recline so much in the first place.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Doesn't anyone find it a bit strange that the majority want to blame other passengers instead of the money grubbing nickel and dime grabbing airline that's actually causing the issues?

Seriously, as passengers we don't design the darn things and each has an expectation of at least a minimum of comfort for our $500 +tax,baggage.landing fee,fuel surcharge fee,seat forward of the rear toilet fee,boarding before the absolute latest last person fee and now carry on fees and some pay toilets. Oh I forgot one, the no middle seat fee. Ran into that one when I booked a flight last month.
I've been flying since DC3's (as a kid) and remember the days of Pan Am type service, linen,silverware,actual glasses and plates and have watched it spiral down ever since. I thought we'd hit bottom when I paid $500 or so to take a 2 1/2 hr flight and had to grab a lunch sack (lunch on the go was the sweet little name they gave it) on the way down the jetway that was something along the lines of what a prisoner would get.
Guess I was way,way off.
The only reason that the airlines have jammed in more seats is because the traveling public has demanded lower ticket prices. If you want Greyhound prices, you'll get Greyhound service. If you want better space and amenities, pay for business or first. Problem solved.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
From a safety point of view I WILL NEVER set behind a child in a safety seat, The seats are designed to go forward (fold forward) as the person behind move forward in a crash. A safety seat prevents the seat from folding forward all the way.

Personal I think the only place the child safety seats should be allowed is in row that does not have anyone behind them.

Also in a NTSB study done after the UAL crash in Sioux City showed that more children would die (Overall) if child seats were required. (More families with Lap kids would drive putting more kids at risk). It also found that child seat in planes would save 1 child in a survivable crash every 20 years. As hundreds would die on the hi-way do to the cost of parents move from planes, to cars.
Their decision to drive is their choice and shouldn't factor into any safety equation. From a pure safety perspective, a secured child is a safer child. Bottom line, lap babies on planes become missiles in turbulence and in-flight incidents, putting other passengers into danger.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:00 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Their decision to drive is their choice and shouldn't factor into any safety equation. From a pure safety perspective, a secured child is a safer child. Bottom line, lap babies on planes become missiles in turbulence and in-flight incidents, putting other passengers into danger.
I think in the event of a crash, a flying baby is less of a concern than burning to death or suffocating because you are immobilized in your seat because your legs are broken due to the absurdly small seat pitches that airlines insist on.

Also, that 'let them eat cake' attitude isn't realistic; "oh, just buy a ticket in business class!" It's kind of like telling someone whose bike keeps breaking down to go out and buy a Mercedes.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think in the event of a crash, a flying baby is less of a concern than burning to death or suffocating because you are immobilized in your seat because your legs are broken due to the absurdly small seat pitches that airlines insist on.

Also, that 'let them eat cake' attitude isn't realistic; "oh, just buy a ticket in business class!" It's kind of like telling someone whose bike keeps breaking down to go out and buy a Mercedes.
Unrestrained children have been injured and have injured others during turbulence, where a plane landed safely and intact afterwards.

My attitude is completely realistic. If the person travels enough that it's a problem for more than a couple hours a year, they'll be getting upgrades anyhow.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:42 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
A baby who flies up and hits the ceiling during bad turbulence can be very badly injured - even if they just fall back down onto an armrest, etc, the scenarios in which being immobilized hurts the baby more than being restrained within the protective shell of the seat are much less likely.

But as far as adults being hurt - I suppose if you had a collision on the runway and were sitting behind a child in a forward facing car seat, you could suffer more severe injuries. It is conjecture, though, as the seatback will still move (car seat shells flex somewhat, more to the point the belts stretch and the entire seat moves forward 6 inches or so.)

Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,170,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
Personally I find it very rude...showing no consideration for anyone other than yourself. I'm 6'3" and already eating my knees let alone when the seat is pushed back. If I sit properly without throwing a leg into the isle or spreading my knees into my neighbors space I cannot set the tray down as it is....having the seatback in front of me pushed back just makes it obscene.

what are your thoughts?
I agree... I am 6 1 and have no idea how anyone taller than me flies.

I really think people should ask or at least be aware of who is behind them. The last flight I was on, the lady in front of me reclined it, and then kept bouncing in it, slamming into my knees over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation