Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 03:17 PM

387 posts, read 916,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
It took me a while to find a thread from a few years ago. Read post #21. I took measurements.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...sengers-3.html
Is that a Jet Blue plane? They are more spacious than most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 05:36 PM

654 posts, read 1,495,784 times
Quote:
It took me a while to find a thread from a few years ago. Read post #21. I took measurements.

Yup..as. I expected. People are imagining things or they sit on the edge of their seats.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:05 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I am a "road warrior"--120K miles last year, 102K this year.
Quote:
Flying isn't unpleasant, people are cheap. Big difference. A few months back I spent a very pleasant nine hours in a 180 degree lay flat seat with good food and decent wine, a fluffy pillow and fresh blanket large enough to cover my entire body, and great IFE options had I chosen that instead of sleep. You get what you pay for.
This explains a lot.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
I never recline my seat back fully.. I just find it to be inconsiderate to go all the way. I generally make a compromise on about half way but if the guy in front of me goes all the way than I typically have no choice but to do the same. I let the guy/gal behind me know why though - out of courtesy!

Old 01-05-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:

It sounds like that particular aircraft was equipped with seats that have an "articulating seat pan."

My particular airline ordered several A330s equipped with Weber Model 5600 seats that only have an "articulating seat bottom", instead of an "articulating seat pan."

Old 01-05-2013, 07:09 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,686,686 times
It was a USAirways A320 East fleet. It was a fixed pan nothing special seat. Only the backs move, and not very far at that.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
It was a USAirways A320 East fleet. It was a fixed pan nothing special seat. Only the backs move, and not very far at that.
Would you know what company manufactured the seats in those A320s by any chance? Unlike their A320s, the seating comfort of their A330s doesn't seem to be highly regarded...
US Airways Economy Class Seat Reviews| SKYTRAX

Old 01-05-2013, 11:00 PM

853 posts, read 4,036,120 times
I was about 20 years old and on an 11 hour flight, and the man who sat next to me looked very uncomfortable because his knees were squished from the person who was reclining in front of him.

I am not sure why I spoke up as I did not know the squished man, but I said to the reclining person (who I could see well since his seat was back and the two seats next to him were upright) that his seat seemed to be broken (which I believed!) as he was all the way back on someone's knees. The man put his seat upright, and a few minutes later grumbled at me that his seat was not in fact broken, but he did not recline after that and I think the man next to me was happy if I remember correctly.

Anyway, airlines should not make seats and/or seating arrangements where someone could potentially have squished knees for 11 hours!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Quote:

Now there's some solid evidence of little harm to the rear of a reclining seat. What surprises me is that nobody who's complained of their tray table being unusable due to infringement of the reclining seat has understood how those "knee defenders" actually work by stopping the seat from moving in the empty space allowed for by the tray table's design just FOR that movement. I'm guessing that's part of the reason that table slides out towards you as well.
2 inches? Is that what everyone is fighting over? Slapping faces, kicking seats,insults, bouncing in reclined seats etc all for 2 lousy inches?
On edit: Does anyone else find this a bit ridiculous? Question, what would you tell your child if they came to you with this argument or, what do you think your parents would/would've told YOU?

Old 01-06-2013, 08:57 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,987 times
Quote:
Seriously, the seats recline so little that it's just not the issue that many make it out to be.

As far as someone needing the armrest because they are bigger, I don't subscribe to that. If they are too big to fit into their seat without taking space out of another, they need to buy two seats.

There will never be SRO flights, that's a marketing gimmick that RyanAir came up with just to get their name back into the press.
It IS an issue.....the seats recline to the point where too many times I have had some strangers head in my lap. It's a total invasion of my space. Unfortunately, I have had the bad luck to be seated behind someone with your the same mentality as you....."tough luck, I'm going to be comfortable at your expense". If you are going to make me miserable during the flight, I'll do my best to do the same with no thought to your comfort....kicking and pushing at the back of your seat in order to adjust my position, hanging on your headrest to get up, etc. After all, if you don't like it, you can take the seat in the back of the plane. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation