Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 05:34 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,298,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I've flown to Asia a few times. I always wondered why they did not fly in a straight line of sorts out of LA or SF and over Hawaii and straight that way. They always head NW and though they are not that close to land, for any emergency landing, they seem to go to Asia in a semi circle formed by eastern Russia and southward. That scares me some, since Russia shot down a passenger jet many years ago.
Because the earth is round. The same is true of a flight from a Northeastern US city to Europe. They go up toward Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, the base of the UK, and onto the continent. I think going straight across, over the Azores, might even be longer, not to mention keeping the plane over the ocean and further from land for a longer period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM

374 posts, read 756,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
you should have seen me when i first flew in 2008 after my last flight that was in 1978. i was so tense my knees almost gave out when i was loading my bag into the bin (first time in a plane cabin in 30 years) but miraculously as soon as i fastened my belt i got better. no problems since
I can imagine. I last flew before 9/11, actually on 9/10/01. Most of my flying was for work, from 1987 to 2001. While I can't say I won't fly again, I'm in no hurry to get on a plane. I no longer need to fly for work so it's not a necessity for me. We have inlaws in Colorado, but I almost think I would prefer a road trip if we ever go there to visit. I'm sure I would be ok though if I had to fly, more just a little anxiety about it rather than full blown fear.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:15 PM

326 posts, read 669,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Because the earth is round. The same is true of a flight from a Northeastern US city to Europe. They go up toward Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, the base of the UK, and onto the continent. I think going straight across, over the Azores, might even be longer, not to mention keeping the plane over the ocean and further from land for a longer period of time.
I think you will find that often what looks like a curved path is actually a straight line on a globe that looks like a curve on a map. Something to do with map projections and that it is impossible to correctly project a "ball" on a flat map.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:56 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,600,373 times
jeez, last flight 9/10/01? did you last step off during the day or at night? very creepy indeed

Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
jeez, last flight 9/10/01? did you last step off during the day or at night? very creepy indeed
I flew into Philly on the morning of the 10th for a business meeting in Mt. Laurel, New Jersey. I was in the meeting on the morning of the 11th. Since all the planes were grounded I ended up driving with a group in a rental car from New Jersey back to Iowa, where I lived at the time. It was a very eery drive back, with no planes in the sky and trying to come to grips with what was happening. While I didn't consciously think "I'll never get on a plane again" after 9/11, it did kind of work out that way. Now it's been so long, I know I would be very nervous to fly and it would probably have to be very special trip, like going to Europe, to get me on a plane again.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:17 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,949,647 times
Quote:
i think the most tense moment is when the plane starts off and lifts and you feel the wheels leave the ground.
x2

Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,916 times
I am a pilot, and if, during my preflight, I have to "fix" three things -- regardless of how minor -- I don't fly that day. When flying commercial, I always ask for a seat near one of the emergency exits, explaining that I am physically and mentally fit to assist others to evacuate if necessary, and that I am a combat veteran, having flown 188 combat missions and over 300 combat support missions. My request is almost always granted.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:35 AM

14,419 posts, read 20,524,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrl View Post
While I didn't consciously think "I'll never get on a plane again" after 9/11. Now it's been so long, I know I would be very nervous to fly.
It would cost the airlines some cash but why not put hidden buttons near each stewardess station. I know once the flight is under way, the strewardess sit down at the back, in the middle where the drink carts are located etc.
If there was a hidden button under the counter at these locations on the plane, if a stewardess saw an "event happening" such as the flight that crashed in Pa. on Sept. 11th, they press the button. That locks the door to the cockpit and sounds an alarm in the cockpit. This alerts the pilots that they need to get to the ground quickly. This may have saved that flight. As we now know the hijackers only had box cutters. There are enough passengers to attack a hijacker. Yes, someone might have been seriously cut with the box cutters but 3-4 men with box cutters have no chance against 10 male passengers who attack them.
The hidden button could not only lock the cockpit door but engage a 2nd door that was bullet proof and made of heavy thick metal.
There was no evidence that I saw or read that any of the hijackers on that date in time had any type of explosives or guns, only box cutters.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
It would cost the airlines some cash but why not put hidden buttons near each stewardess station. I know once the flight is under way, the strewardess sit down at the back, in the middle where the drink carts are located etc.
If there was a hidden button under the counter at these locations on the plane, if a stewardess saw an "event happening" such as the flight that crashed in Pa. on Sept. 11th, they press the button. That locks the door to the cockpit and sounds an alarm in the cockpit. This alerts the pilots that they need to get to the ground quickly. This may have saved that flight. As we now know the hijackers only had box cutters. There are enough passengers to attack a hijacker. Yes, someone might have been seriously cut with the box cutters but 3-4 men with box cutters have no chance against 10 male passengers who attack them.
The hidden button could not only lock the cockpit door but engage a 2nd door that was bullet proof and made of heavy thick metal.
There was no evidence that I saw or read that any of the hijackers on that date in time had any type of explosives or guns, only box cutters.

That would be a good security measure, it's too bad that security wasn't taken more seriously then.

No one was expecting what happened that day to happen. In the years since then passengers have become so much more aware of the other passengers around them and would probably have a much stronger and faster reaction to a hijacking attempt now. So sad that there wasn't something more in place that could have prevented the tragedies that occurred that day.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,949,647 times
Quote:
If there was a hidden button under the counter at these locations on the plane, if a stewardess saw an "event happening" such as the flight that crashed in Pa. on Sept. 11th, they press the button. That locks the door to the cockpit and sounds an alarm in the cockpit.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the cockpit door locked the entire flightt now? The only time I see it being accessible now is when a pilot uses the restroom, and during that time I always see a flight attendant standing in front of the cockpit. I would surely hope that the locked door is made of a reasonably good quality, and couldnt just be kicked down.

I am the worst flyer I know, I troll through aviation forums, and just thinking about flying makes me nervous... That being said, a passenger hijacking the plane is my last concern. I'm much more concerned about fuel leaks, turbulence, pilots making mistakes, and the wings falling off mid flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation