Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,327,503 times

Advertisements

The fact that Li-ion batteries can have internal shorts is important I think ...

Now, this can be designed around through redundancy and protections, but hear me out ...

Airports plug in airport power into the airplanes when they turn around. Given that at least dozens and sometimes hundreds of airplanes are being plugged in and unplugged all the time means that airports' power grids must be really "peaky" and have current inrush / outrush.

And given that the 787's electrical architecture design was farmed out to other suppliers, is it conceivable that the 787 doesn't have enough protections against these current and voltage changes that accompany such a dynamic electrical grid? I'd imagine to save weight they could have not put in a massive transformer and capacitor to absorb these fluctuations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 02:02 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,667,833 times
Airbus, and even the old Fokkers have lockout protection. I'm willing to bet that Boeings do too. If the airplane doesn't see 120V and 400Hz, it kicks itself off of ground power. You have to do a reset before it will accept power again. It's not automatic.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:12 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,303,655 times
I was advised to sell all my Boeing stock today. The experts have determined that the fixes will take an extended period. Even if it gets approval to start air operations again the experts say that the problems will continue.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:26 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,327,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I was advised to sell all my Boeing stock today. The experts have determined that the fixes will take an extended period. Even if it gets approval to start air operations again the experts say that the problems will continue.
Then your advisor is only looking at the short term. Long term, Boeing is buying back billions in stock, raising dividends, and has solid performance in its commercial and defense businesses. The 787 thing will dent the bottom line this year but I do not think that the company's business is in trouble.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,620,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Your advisor is easily swayed by quick sensational news reports.

The 787 leads commercial aviation in innovation and technology. It is by FAR not Boeing's bread and butter. Despite the setbacks and delays on fthe 787 program Boeing has made Billions, with a B in profit every year for the last few years.

Woulnd't be surprised if the company could survive off the 737 alone yet alone the 777, 747, 767, the P8, tanker program, F18s, Apaches, Chinooks, support for all previously built aircraft and aircraft I forgot to mention..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation