U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-27-2013, 08:50 AM
 
30,343 posts, read 31,211,318 times
Reputation: 14016

Advertisements

I am wondering if there are any CAP members past or present on this forum. If so, what do you think of organization and how it is run?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Maryland Heights, MO
3,229 posts, read 6,661,101 times
Reputation: 1904
I was a member of the organization when I was in High School. It was fun for a cadet, some great experience especially with learning leadership, and receiving constructive criticisms.

I didn't have the opportunity to do much flying while I was in, but I had only barely made an NCO by the time I left after a couple years. Two of our cadets did have the opportunity to attend a glider flight encampment and one also attended a powered flight academy. We did a few Orientation flights in the 172's but that was about it.

As far as the organization, I didn't have any real problems. We did learn later than one of our senior leaders had committed some type of "sexual" crime (saw it on the news one evening after I'd left). It didn't have anything to do with the kids though, so that was good...but pretty terrible nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 05:36 AM
 
30,343 posts, read 31,211,318 times
Reputation: 14016
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
I was a member of the organization when I was in High School. It was fun for a cadet, some great experience especially with learning leadership, and receiving constructive criticisms.

I didn't have the opportunity to do much flying while I was in, but I had only barely made an NCO by the time I left after a couple years. Two of our cadets did have the opportunity to attend a glider flight encampment and one also attended a powered flight academy. We did a few Orientation flights in the 172's but that was about it.

As far as the organization, I didn't have any real problems. We did learn later than one of our senior leaders had committed some type of "sexual" crime (saw it on the news one evening after I'd left). It didn't have anything to do with the kids though, so that was good...but pretty terrible nonetheless.
This is the first time I am hearing of any "sexual" crimes connected with CAP. I know that they have strict cadet protection rules so I am surprised to hear that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Maryland Heights, MO
3,229 posts, read 6,661,101 times
Reputation: 1904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
This is the first time I am hearing of any "sexual" crimes connected with CAP. I know that they have strict cadet protection rules so I am surprised to hear that.
As I said the issue did not have anything to do with CAP and specifically a cadet. It's more of "bad practices at home" by an individual who was associated with the unit. I can't remember if someone underage was propositioned, or if someone had inappropriate photos on a computer...either way, there was no relation to the CAP other than the individuals affiliation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,802 posts, read 37,476,508 times
Reputation: 20864
Sorry but I have to report good and bad, VERY bad.... Our local wing was run extremely poorly by retired military who were still carrying their boot camp mentality. Very demeaning to cadets and only the privileged few advanced (kids of the commanders).

Of several yrs and thousands of Hrs invested, it was a tradegy for my family and NO significant training, engagement, or benefit. This view was largely shared by many cadets and parents, turnover VERY high, and change was recommended through the proper channels (for yrs to no avail). Fortunately kids are resilent. And ours went on to achieve much higher certifications / experience / training / flight time through other entities. So Sad... CAP has many good wings, and serves a critcal service in the lives of many. Often it is insecure adults with ego needs that curtail the mission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 12:15 PM
 
30,343 posts, read 31,211,318 times
Reputation: 14016
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Sorry but I have to report good and bad, VERY bad.... Our local wing was run extremely poorly by retired military who were still carrying their boot camp mentality. Very demeaning to cadets and only the privileged few advanced (kids of the commanders).

Of several yrs and thousands of Hrs invested, it was a tradegy for my family and NO significant training, engagement, or benefit. This view was largely shared by many cadets and parents, turnover VERY high, and change was recommended through the proper channels (for yrs to no avail). Fortunately kids are resilent. And ours went on to achieve much higher certifications / experience / training / flight time through other entities. So Sad... CAP has many good wings, and serves a critcal service in the lives of many. Often it is insecure adults with ego needs that curtail the mission.
It seems that some wings are run like an "old boys club" and they pile on extra unnecessary restrictions on their members. On the other hand as you say, CAP does important work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 04:07 PM
 
Location: About 10 miles north of Pittsburgh International
2,384 posts, read 3,462,717 times
Reputation: 2243
Here's what I posted in the thread on CAP's efforts following Hurricane Sandy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I was a CAP member in the late 90s. While some of the criticsm of CAP, from sources both internal and external, is valid, in my experience the organization never failed to step up and do the job when the need arose.
The criticism I find valid?

Yes, it is a good old boys flying club, and a lot of the effort the good old boys put into the program was mainly concerned with protecting the cheap/free flying. Also, if you're not in the good graces of whomever is currently in charge, your individual contributions to the program are worth nothing. I saw more than a few members, that I personally respected very highly for their dedication and efforts, kicked to the curb because they fell out of favor with the ones that held the power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 01:12 PM
 
30,343 posts, read 31,211,318 times
Reputation: 14016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Also, if you're not in the good graces of whomever is currently in charge, your individual contributions to the program are worth nothing. I saw more than a few members, that I personally respected very highly for their dedication and efforts, kicked to the curb because they fell out of favor with the ones that held the power.
Yes that definitely happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top