U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 AM
 
4,363 posts, read 7,262,310 times
Reputation: 3743

Advertisements

Even though the airline mentioned in this article is not large (no pun intended), I think it had to start somewhere. We've let political correctness blind us to many truths, and one is that overly huge people need to pay for two seats, or pay more for their fare. I don't think it is unfair for airlines to charge per weight, moving weight costs money and a 105 pound woman should not have to pay the same as a 400 pound man.

Pay by the Pound: Samoa Air Becomes First Airline to Charge Overweight Passengers More - IBTimes UK
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2013, 09:51 AM
 
3,252 posts, read 3,075,188 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Even though the airline mentioned in this article is not large (no pun intended), I think it had to start somewhere. We've let political correctness blind us to many truths, and one is that overly huge people need to pay for two seats, or pay more for their fare. I don't think it is unfair for airlines to charge per weight, moving weight costs money and a 105 pound woman should not have to pay the same as a 400 pound man.

Pay by the Pound: Samoa Air Becomes First Airline to Charge Overweight Passengers More - IBTimes UK

Totally agree... fuel costs are directly related to the quantity of mass moved... simple enough....
Thank G*d I choose business class, as I don't (usually) have to deal with the morbid obese. Not a stereotype nor a bias... I just choose to be with those that have one bit of self-control. JMHO.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2013, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
15,996 posts, read 14,476,360 times
Reputation: 13359
I think people should have to pay by the butt inch. Basically you sit on a bench with a yardstick on it and if your butt spread doesn't fit between 1 and x number of inches, guess what...you have to buy a second seat.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
2,908 posts, read 5,007,102 times
Reputation: 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Totally agree... fuel costs are directly related to the quantity of mass moved... simple enough....
Thank G*d I choose business class, as I don't (usually) have to deal with the morbid obese. Not a stereotype nor a bias... I just choose to be with those that have one bit of self-control. JMHO.
Like knowing when not to open your mouth?

I have no problem with the fees, but then give a proper seat. All it is is a money grab. So you can sparkle knowing that someone paid more, but they don't get anymore space.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 PM
 
1,049 posts, read 603,304 times
Reputation: 1866
Makes sense from a fuel cost perspective. I doubt the seat size will be proportional to the passenger's weight and ticket cost, though. It costs more to move a 300 pound adult than it does to move a 90 pound child, but both get a seat with the same width and pitch that is too small for the former and too big for the latter.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2013, 02:54 PM
 
535 posts, read 361,925 times
Reputation: 951
When I was working at the airlines (appr. 5 years ago) we merely took a head count of the passengers and assumed that each adult weighed "x" and each child weighed "y." These weights were increased by a few pounds in the winter due to heavier clothing. Of course in unusual circumstances (e.g. a plane full of football players, sumo wrestlers, etc.) we were required to adjust these weights. An isolated "gravitationally-challenged" passenger was of little concern to the airline, unless their butt was too big to fit in one seat.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2013, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Holmdel, NJ
17,707 posts, read 14,584,844 times
Reputation: 10188
i wonder what % of the costs are fuel. i know its a significant cost but when you boil it down to only the cost that weight of the passenger impacts and then the difference between a 300 pounder and a 150 pounder, whats the real increase in cost? there is also the cost of the aircraft, maintenance, employee costs, insurances/taxes/etc. that dont relate to weight being moved.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2013, 03:10 PM
 
Location: in the miseries
2,331 posts, read 1,257,538 times
Reputation: 2234
I agree! I once had to sit next to a man who
took up his seat and half of mine, too.
He could at least have paid for it!
Wouldn't let me put the arm rest down either.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2013, 03:24 PM
 
19,533 posts, read 22,764,317 times
Reputation: 26993
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think people should have to pay by the butt inch. Basically you sit on a bench with a yardstick on it and if your butt spread doesn't fit between 1 and x number of inches, guess what...you have to buy a second seat.
This. Being heavy shouldn't be the measure. I'm 6'-2 and I weigh 250 lbs. I also fit easily in an airline seat (except for my knees banging against the seat in front of me). If I was required to pay extra I'd never fly again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2013, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Holmdel, NJ
17,707 posts, read 14,584,844 times
Reputation: 10188
im seeing this as a separate issue from making people pay who need 2 seats. maybe im wrong.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top