Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 08:09 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, going from Denver to Houston, I flew the Dreamliner for the first time and in first class to boot.

All I can say is holy cow that was nice.

Additionally, it was the fastest I've flown. We were about 50 minutes late departing. When descending into Houston, the captain came on and said he made up a lot of time by flying the plane at full throttle and told us we flew most of the trip at .89 mach, which equates to 677 mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,191 times
Outside of a faster flight, what else if anything did you find to be superior about the 787 compared to other Boeing wide-bodies ?

Old 10-23-2013, 10:54 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Cool. I still haven't flown on one. I've been thinking of buying a ticket just for the experience.

I did go to the Boeing factory back in 2007 to see the mockups and the assembly line.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
All I can say is holy cow that was nice.
Did they have to do this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Flew the Dreamliner for first time.-nocomment.jpg  

Old 10-23-2013, 01:51 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Outside of a faster flight, what else if anything did you find to be superior about the 787 compared to other Boeing wide-bodies ?
I liked that the larger windows had selective tint instead of a pull-down screen. The internal "atmosphere" felt better; however, it could just be that I "felt" it after being told about greater humidity and less pressure. The seats were very comfortable and adjustable to about any position you wanted. The monitor in front of you is larger. The lighting is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Did they have to do this ?
Actually, the captain did tell us we were delayed due to some repairs following the plane's arrival from Tokyo.

Of course, we were also delayed due to some moron leaving his bag in the front of the plane with no name tag or anything. They kept announcing about it with a description saying that we couldn't depart until the bag was claimed.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:44 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
I liked that the larger windows had selective tint instead of a pull-down screen. The internal "atmosphere" felt better; however, it could just be that I "felt" it after being told about greater humidity and less pressure. The seats were very comfortable and adjustable to about any position you wanted. The monitor in front of you is larger. The lighting is better.
How was the noise level?

Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
How was the noise level?
I flew it IAH to LHR in E-Plus, and it is nicer. The bins hide a bit better, giving you a sense of more space. The windows are slick, and even better, the FA can control them, so when it's sleep time, you don't get that a-hole who has to light up the whole cabin by not having his blind down.

The ISE is really nice, and a touch bigger than what the CO 777's had pre-merger.

Noise, I'd say is a bit less than any other wide body. Although I wouldn't say dramatically. Maybe in Exec class, but in the peasant seats, it's not a game changer. LED lighting and the sense of space make it a nice place to be though.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:48 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,527 times
Quote:
Yesterday, going from Denver to Houston, I flew the Dreamliner for the first time and in first class to boot.
Pet hate of mine: YOU didn't fly the "Dreamliner", you flew ON it. You were not the Captain nor the First Officer.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
787 1st Passenger trip here as well (last night NRT to SIN) ANA 'code-share' flight so seats were SMALL !!! My knees jammed into metal brackets of flimsy seat in frt for 6+ hrs. (Economy+). Much quieter than a 747 (main deck) intitial thrust was impressive, but take-off pretty flat (no DC-10). Quite similar to the 777 on previous leg from SEA (surprise).

U Don't get that secure "BANG" from the gear stowing that you do on a METAL airplaneI brought my own fire extinguisher, Chem Mask, and an extra lithium Battery Pack.

Roomy, nice windows (but smaller than I had hoped) as was the entire plane (roomy ceilings, THIN overheads (Surely ANA spec), (I liked the A380 BKK to HGK last trip ($89 on EMIRATES !!! food and EVERYTHING including CLASSY Service with a smile ). The A380 was closer to the 'flying hotel' that I expected, and of COURSE we had to board the ANA 787 from the tarmac (in the rain) via a bus.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:50 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Pet hate of mine: YOU didn't fly the "Dreamliner", you flew ON it. You were not the Captain nor the First Officer.
This is how I initially read it too!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation