Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 10:19 AM

384 posts, read 594,408 times

Advertisements

---
FLL-LGA
Flight #: Delta 1698
Date: April 6, 2012
Cabin: Seat 2D, First Class
Aircraft: MD-88

Arriving at the airport, I quickly checked my bags at the curbside checked baggage desk. Check in with the automated kiosk was fast and painless, and I headed to the Fast track TSA line.

Check-In

Check-In Desks and Kiosks

This sign confused me- I thought Delta "s Business Class is BusinessElite, so why did they also state "Business Class"? Could this be referring to a codeshare airline's similar level of service?

This is where I saw a family, consisting of two parents and two babies. They held up the line for at least ten minutes and let their children run around the security checkpoint like a playground. Finally, a TSA agent gently told them to keep their kids in line (no pun intended).

TSA Line at FLL

I had a smidgen of time before I had to board the flight, so I headed to the FLL Delta Skyclub. Shooing my Platinum Medallion Skymiles Card, I was quickly granted access and went to grab a table.

Delta FLL Skyclub entrance

FLL DL Skyclub in the morning

The club had a full bar and a variety of juices. I elected for some Orange and Cranberry juice.

FLL Skyclub Bar

My drink selections.

I then decided to check out the food selection. Actual food (in my experience) has been scarce in most Delta-name Skyclubs. This one had some pastries and a hot oatmeal option, but it was out. The attendant put in some more oatmeal, but it was really watery, so I passed on it.

Delta Sky Club Pastry Selection

Delta 767 parked right infront of the Skyclub. I don't know where it was headed to, may someone please inform me?

After drinking my juice and scarfing down some pastries, I headed to the gate.

Check-in desk for the flight to LGA

My ride to LGA, a Delta MD-88.

Within a few minutes, a female employee came over the loudspeaker and announced that it was time for First Class passengers to board. Walking up to the desk, I walked briskly down to the plane through the jetway.

walking down the jetway to the MD-88.

Boarding the MD-88

I boarded the plane, and sat down in 2D. To my slight dismay, the family that I had seen earlier had claimed the entire last row of First Class for them and their children. Thankfully, they didn't run around like they did at the TSA line, but they sure did make a lot of noise.
Waiting at our seats was a bottle of Dasani water, a pillow, and a red blanket.

Delta First Class seats

Amenities on the DL MD-88s include eMPower ports, Wi-Fi, and (First Class only) complimentary meal service. There was is no IFE onboard this flight.

First cabin during boarding

Complimentary Dasani water (First Class only)

Rear of First seat.

Soon, the Economy pax boarded and we taxied to the runway. We made an eastern departure and then turned to the north to begin our journey to LGA.
Soon, a female flight attendant came around, taking everyone's meal orders. The choice was between a chicken marinara sandwich or cold chicken salad. I got the sandwich, my seatmate got the salad.

Chicken marinara sandwich, lettuce/tomato toppings, fresh fruit, brownie, and Ruffles potato chips. Drink is a Coke.

The sandwich was downright delicious, the chicken was marinated perfectly and the sandwich roll was buttered. The marinara sauce was the icing on the cake. The fruit was good as well, but the brownie was a little hard. I saved the chips for later.

Soon, we started our approach into LGA.

Approach into LGA, showing the NYC suburbs.

Final approach into LGA.

A warm welcome to New York after touchdown.

We made a relatively brisk taxi to the gate at LGA.

Two ERJ-175s, one Air Canada and one Delta. For some reason, I can't get enough of the ERJ 175/190, probably because the look like a mini Boeing jet!

We delpaned, and I decided to go to the Skyclub. I headed there, but on the way, I realized that I didn't have enough time to do much of anything there, so I went to my hotel.

Hilton Garden Inn.

After I checked in to my room, I went on my email account and discovered that i had been upgraded on the flight back as well! Such luck!

Soon, the wedding was over and it was time to head home. I turned my rental car into the Avis after filling it up at the exorbitantly-priced gas station at JFK. As soon as I left the car, I looked behind me and saw one of Korean Air's A388s roar into the sky above me. I didn't have time to get my camera, so no picture, ah well.

FLL-LGA
Flight #: Delta Flight 127
Date: April 8, 2012
Cabin: Seat 4A, First Class
Aircraft: 737-800

I headed to the Check-in area. Much to my surprise, Delta had an exclusive check in desk for First Class, BusinessElite, and Medallion members. I was checked in almost immediately, and headed to the Fast Track TSA line.

Delta Premium Check-In at JFK

View from the Premium TSA line at JFK.

After clearing security, I headed up to the JFK skyclub. Unlike at other airports, JFK's Delta Skyclub has no windows, unfortunately. I grabbed some biscoff and had a coke at the bar. Soon, it was time for boarding.

At the gate, a massive mob had formed in front of the gate. I had to practically elbow my way through to the Sky Priority Lane. First Class passengers were called to board and I walked down the jetway to the 738.

First Class cabin during boarding. I was later asked to switch to 4A so a couple could sit together, to which I accepted. A pre-departure drink was served, in a plastic cup (in the air, Delta uses glassware in the air.

Delta First Class seats during boarding

Pre-derpature drink, a coke.

After I was switched to 4A, and the rest of the Economy pax boarded, we taxied out to the runway, and took off to the west before turning to the south to line up with FLL. Despite being a few minutes longer then the flight from LGA, there was only a snack basket service offered on this flight. I'm not complaining though, they had some good food in it. Drinks were also served, this time in glassware.

In-flight beverages.

Snack basket, first pass.

Snack basket, second pass.

The rest of the flight was rather uneventful. I was on a one of the non-IFE-equipped DL 738s> Instead, they had fold-down monitors from the flight service units.

Fold-down monitors.

Delta 737-800 First Class Cabin during flight.

eMPower ports and inflight WiFi were also offered. I started to flip through Delta's Sky Magazine, but I stopped on the fleet page.

Delta omitted the Saab 340B! Where did it go?

We quickly started to come in to FLL, and soon we were on approach.

Approach over I95 into FLL.

Final approach into FLL. You can see a Zero-G 727 in the background, a rare visitor to FLL. I also saw a DC-3, but the plane was going too fast for me to snap a picture of it.

Thereafter, we taxied to the gate and deplaned. It was fast, and I headed to the baggage claim. The Sky Priority tags sure helped my bags move off the line quick!

FLL Delta/Air Canada/Condor baggage claim.

After I got my bags, I headed up to the loading ramp and went home.

FLL Red terminal loading/dropoff ramp.
---
Thanks in advance for all responses.

Last edited by LPDAL; 10-26-2013 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: Fixed broken image syntax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 05:12 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times
See my reply in your other photo essay post. For brevity, I won't repeat it here.

My airliner collection contains many photos from LGA taken during the late 1990's.

And I like the ERJ-170 except that I think that the engines just look too small and non-proportionate to the size of the fuselage. I thing the Bombardier CS-100 is a MUCH sexier (and proportionately built) plane of that class.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:02 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Glad it was a good experience, LGA and all.

No Saabs in the Delta mainline fleet and I didn't know they flew 763s out of FLL.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:15 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Nice photos and report!

Old 10-27-2013, 10:27 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
We stopped flying with Delta after twice being downgraded from First class to coach (allegedly due to change of equipment). To add insult to industry, they then started upgrading their frequent flyers from coach into first. The second time it happened we caused such a scene that they had to take a couple of those frequent flyers back out of first and into coach.

But that did it for us. We used up our miles on a couple of award trips and haven't flown with Delta since.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:05 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
LPDAL,

Thanks for the story/pics...............Just one question: What would that seat retail for?

I only ask because I have been flying mostly on Jet Blue/Southwest lately and 1st class isn't even an option but most of the Jet Blue planes have OBE.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:28 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Very nice. Love american airports, have not been to those two but will maybe take a trip to Fort Lauderdale airport this summer depending on where I head to in Florida state.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:29 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
We stopped flying with Delta after twice being downgraded from First class to coach (allegedly due to change of equipment). To add insult to industry, they then started upgrading their frequent flyers from coach into first. The second time it happened we caused such a scene that they had to take a couple of those frequent flyers back out of first and into coach.

But that did it for us. We used up our miles on a couple of award trips and haven't flown with Delta since.
Thats disgusting. Especially the price that they charge. I mean it's no game.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:52 PM

384 posts, read 594,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
LPDAL,

Thanks for the story/pics...............Just one question: What would that seat retail for?

I only ask because I have been flying mostly on Jet Blue/Southwest lately and 1st class isn't even an option but most of the Jet Blue planes have OBE.
I was upgraded from an M-Class coach fare into F class as a Platinum medallion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation