Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 12:14 AM

693 posts, read 1,137,860 times

Advertisements

Last week I had what felt like a really long transatlantic flight and soon as we landed in Charlotte, NC and we were at the gate waiting to stand up, some guy is jabbering on his cell phone to his wife and literally 50 people were captive to his conversation, he was talking so loud you couldnt block it out. It got to the point I was answering him out loud as if I was on the phone with him. I am not normally a violent person but I have to be honest, some anger was brewing and I couldve laid this guy out had the penalties for doing such been not so severe on an airplane.

The idea of cell phones on planes is very, very dangerous one and I am certain we will see people munching on fists.

Could you imagine 4, 5, 6 even 8 hours of hearing someone jibberjabber about the latest gossip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 01:49 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
I frequently take the bus during the day and have to put up with idiots who talk loudly on their cell phones so that everyone can hear them. Sometimes there are many conversations going on at once. I can only imagine how annoying that would be on a plane where people are in a confined space for much longer than a bus trip.

The last time I flew, I had a small child constantly try to crawl all over me because his mother couldn't hang on to him in her lap. Six hours of the kid trying to climb in my lap, knocking over my food, hitting me in the head, kicking me etc etc. So now another potential misery will be on the list of why I hate to fly.

And then they wonder why passengers go berzerk.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:12 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Last week I had what felt like a really long transatlantic flight and soon as we landed in Charlotte, NC and we were at the gate waiting to stand up, some guy is jabbering on his cell phone to his wife and literally 50 people were captive to his conversation, he was talking so loud you couldnt block it out. It got to the point I was answering him out loud as if I was on the phone with him. I am not normally a violent person but I have to be honest, some anger was brewing and I couldve laid this guy out had the penalties for doing such been not so severe on an airplane.

The idea of cell phones on planes is very, very dangerous one and I am certain we will see people munching on fists.

Could you imagine 4, 5, 6 even 8 hours of hearing someone jibberjabber about the latest gossip!
Yes, I agree. The flight attendant's union has also come out against it.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:39 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,657,325 times
IMO this is a bad idea. Although I am now retired, I traveled approximately 75K miles a year, dealing with every conceivable negative aspect of people. I do not understand the reliance of people on cell phones, tweeting and apps that no matter where I go, people have their faces in an electronic gadget. We went out to dinner last night at a sushi bar and a young couple sat down...immediately they had their phones in the faces. I can't understand how anything can be MORE important that you can't have a conversation with your partner or whoever.

We bought an RV to travel in as we were sick and tired of being cattle prodded on airplanes. Now we sit high up and watch all the idiot drivers weaving all over the road while they talk and text while driving. Love my air horn for this!

Old 11-25-2013, 07:24 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I'm all for it as long as they have to go out on the wing to use it !
be

Or may even an enclosed cell phone section. It would be torture to have to sit next to someone yacking the entire flight.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:31 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,820 times
The scary part is, if the FCC and FAA lifted current restrictions against voice calls, there are several airlines that could immediately begin allowing them. Any airline that offers in-flight wi-fi would simply remove any settings that prevent VOIP calls. Then anyone with a wi-fi enabled phone, tablet or laptop could talk away.

If an airline has an airborne picocell system installed, then passengers could use their GSM phones to make calls. Cellular devices not engaged in a call would be blocked from transmitting to the ground, alleviating safety concerns (except for the safety of the guy in 3A who is trying to talk over the engine noise ). Currently, airlines that have these systems are not allowed to even have them on in US airspace - even if they are being used for texting and internet only..

Without either type of system, the phones would probably not be able to reach a tower at cruising altitude. Also, airlines would still have to pay for the same kind of testing that is used to approve use of portable electronic devices in flight for use with wi-fi or picocell systems.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:49 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,925,015 times
I don't think it's the end of the world. If you put on ear buds and speak quietly, that's not going to bother anyone. If I were to make a phone call, and you're sitting behind me, I guarantee you won't even know it.

Shouting -- naturally, that's going to be a problem with or without a phone. It's a common courtesy thing.

Let the flight attendants announce it during takeoff: Passengers may make phone calls over our snazzy new $10/hour service. But we request that you keep the volume down; anyone who is being disturbed, call for an attendant and we'll ask the passenger to hang up.

Simple as that.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:54 AM

693 posts, read 1,137,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I don't think it's the end of the world. If you put on ear buds and speak quietly, that's not going to bother anyone. If I were to make a phone call, and you're sitting behind me, I guarantee you won't even know it.

Shouting -- naturally, that's going to be a problem with or without a phone. It's a common courtesy thing.

Let the flight attendants announce it during takeoff: Passengers may make phone calls over our snazzy new $10/hour service. But we request that you keep the volume down; anyone who is being disturbed, call for an attendant and we'll ask the passenger to hang up.

Simple as that.
Although your post seems very rational and one that has the potential to work, I am afraid you havent spent much time around the human race recently.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:50 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Is it really that difficult not to talk on the phone for a few hours?
Heh...apparently it is for some people. LOL

Personally, I don't mind if people are given the OK to text on a plane, but actively talking? Heck NO!

Old 11-25-2013, 10:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
IN Asia you can have 50 people carrying on conversations in a subway car. (Sometimes we have 4 different calls going on in a TAXI). In USA folks seem to feel they have to YELL. When you fly to USA from Asia, it is the first thing you notice in the US terminal /// people yelling at their phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation