Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 04:07 PM

75 posts, read 87,716 times

Advertisements

I am six years away from being able to retire in the LE field and thinking of things to do. I have been interested for sometime to obtain a rotary pilot's license but never had the time. I have looked into the cost of of it and its sorta steep to get a commercial rating. I will take an intro flight soon to check it out. The question I have is how is the job market and will I at least recoup my time and money going through the hoops to get there. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 09:36 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
No probably not, unless you can network your way into a LEO flying position. You will not only spend tens of thousands of $$ getting your certs, but then to obtain the TT needed for even lower level jobs you will have to instruct for a long time. I only know one guy who jumped from civ piston to civ turbine helis, he is incredibly smart and an incredible pilot. He currently flies for an oil company shuttling people around oil rigs in the gulf.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times
Helo market is awash with returning Army vets. I don't think the opportunities for low time civilian trained pilots would be that great.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:50 AM

16 posts, read 22,421 times
Exclamation Tough

I was a military pilot for 26 years starting in Vietnam flying UH1C gunships out of DaNang and Dong Ha in I corps. After that I flew scouts and heavy lift aircraft followed by 10 years as an MTFE (test flight check pilot) and eventually retired to the civilian side. I began flying a Bell Long Ranger in Idaho and then to an Agusta 109K2 single pilot high altitude rescue pilot with missions in Utah/Montana/Wyoming and Idaho mountains. I had qualifications that follow:

Single Pilot IFR
Commercial pilot (helo/helo IFR/single engine airplane land and sea/single engine airplane IFR)
ATP rating
Type rated in Agusta 109K2
Over 2500 unaided vision night hours
Over 6000 mountain hours
Long line
Short haul
Bambi bucket
OAS carded (Federal Office of Aviation Services)
Night Vision goggle qualified and current (ANVIS 6 and above)
Over 3000 hours IFR flight
Over 1000 hours actual instrument (in cloud)
Test pilot Bell 206/Boeing CH47/Sikorsky CH53/Agusta 109K2
FAA check pilot
Total time at retirement 17,345

With all these qualifications it is hard to find great jobs. Those that want a rotorcraft license and expect to work in the field fall prey to these companies that teach in the (Disposable aircraft) Robinson R22 or R44 and this will not even begin to get you in the door. MOST of the companies that utilize complex aircraft such as the A109K2 or the S76 will not even talk to you unless you are current and have many IFR hours and at least 3000-6000 total hours plus add on qualifications.

Good luck in your ventures but do not expect too much!

Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
I would see if you could take your LEO experience and get into the aviation side of things. Even if it is fixed wing that could lead into rotorwing.

Never the less....take a few hours of instruction in a helicopter and see what you think!

Old 02-12-2014, 05:49 PM

16 posts, read 22,421 times
Default Flying is Flying

Flying for police (I was going to for CHP/Oakland Sheriff/and or LV Metro) does not depend on your LEO time it depends on your flight time. ENG does not depend on whether you can report news it depends on your flight time. It is almost impossible for someone to train, get enough hours to qualify for insurance let alone aircraft type and complexity and make a living simply as an off the street "I would like to" person. Building flight time in the basic industry aircraft (Bell 206) is about $150.00 per hour and unless you have at least 100 hours most will not rent it to you.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:32 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
A Jetranger @ 150 per hour? You can't find a R22 for under 200 an hour. I would guess a 206 is north of 700 per hour.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:32 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
So, OP in answer to your question. Considering the stage in life you're in, unless you're planning on doing it as an avocation because your spouse makes a decent coin and your retirement check keeps you comfortable, the combination of QOL and pay deficit you will experience for the preponderance of your 40s and 50s will make the returns on investment not worthwhile as a bona fide occupation in what would otherwise be your prime earning years. In short, no, you will NOT recoup your investments considering your stage in life.

Nobody is owed a position in life of making a living wage doing what they consider their dream. Life isn't fair but it is what it is. My sincere recommendation is you pursue your flying recreationally and do something else for a living post-retirement. Otherwise if you can afford to pursue it part-time for the non-economic value (again provided you have other means of supporting yourself to the lifestyle you seek) then do that. I'm afraid full-time work ain't in the cards for you, if money is an object.

Good luck to you.

ETA: I'm a USAF pilot with no desire to pursue airline work after military service. If I don't make the retirement goal line then I'll flow to civil service in order to recoup some of the retirement and salary; otherwise continue to pursue my passion recreationally (Im a single engine piston aircraft owner). I just wanted to disclose my position in life in order to allow you to quantify to your own discretion the amount of salt you'd wish to take my advice with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation