Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 04:52 AM

43,364 posts, read 44,076,810 times

Advertisements

Ethiopian Air Co-Pilot Hijacks Own Plane Seeking Swiss Asylum - Businessweek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 06:18 AM

395 posts, read 596,807 times
This is a new one, where the co pilot hijacks the plane. I didn't read the complete article but I wonder how far it got before it was hijacked.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:04 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,928,356 times
He got to Geneva Switzerland.

What I find odd.... Is a Co/Pilot of a 767 once he got to Rome (or any other city his airline goes to in a 767, or Jump seat in Company Plane to anywhere on there network) , could just leave, and Jump Seat on any plane going to Switzerland.

Whole thing is just odd.

OAG Internet Timetable

Old 02-17-2014, 07:11 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,519,423 times
Italy has extradition agreements with Ethiopia and most other african nations, Switzerland does not, mainly because it is land locked. The only real way to get asylum is to land there via airplane. The co-pilot knew what he was doing. Italy, France and Spain has many asylum seekers arriving by boat from Northern Africa. If he had landed in Milan, Italy could get him back from Switzerland then Ethiopia can get him back from Italy. That's why he couldn't simply just go from Italy to Switzerland and have a chance at asylum. Since Switzerland and Ethiopia have no extradition agreement and he orignated in Ethiopia. he stays in Switzerland. Pretty brilliant plan. When he's 50 he will be able to enjoy Swiss citizenship.

Last edited by AndyAMG; 02-17-2014 at 07:21 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 07:16 PM

17,132 posts, read 56,816,129 times
Thanks for the info Andy, until I read your post I didn't understand why he didn't just "jump ship" there in Rome and be done with it.

I still think he's fouled his nest to some extent though by comandeering the plane, kind of creates an undesirable first impression.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Italy has extradition agreements with Ethiopia and most other african nations, Switzerland does not, mainly because it is land locked. The only real way to get asylum is to land there via airplane. The co-pilot knew what he was doing. Italy, France and Spain has many asylum seekers arriving by boat from Northern Africa. If he had landed in Milan, Italy could get him back from Switzerland then Ethiopia can get him back from Italy. That's why he couldn't simply just go from Italy to Switzerland and have a chance at asylum. Since Switzerland and Ethiopia have no extradition agreement and he orignated in Ethiopia. he stays in Switzerland. Pretty brilliant plan. When he's 50 he will be able to enjoy Swiss citizenship.
Although he could spending several years in a Swiss prison for the crime of hijacking a plane.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:40 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,129,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Although he could spending several years in a Swiss prison for the crime of hijacking a plane.
He can't lose, can he? A Swiss prison will afford him a higher standard of living than in his home country as a free man.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:27 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,697,372 times
This will have the TSA in a tizzy. I'm sure they'll use this to once again force screenings of pilots.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
This will have the TSA in a tizzy. I'm sure they'll use this to once again force screenings of pilots.
Maybe yes and perhaps not as it happened outside the USA on a non-American carrier.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 AM

20,994 posts, read 19,456,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I still have got to believe that there is a better way to seek asylum than to hijack an airplane. Sounds like what you are saying is that if he entered Switzerland legally, he couldn't seek asylum? If so, it is pretty dumb for a country to have such a policy that would encourage breaking the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation