Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 09:59 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,713,309 times

Advertisements

I also fear that because this story is such a mystery, the conspiracy theorists are going to be out in full force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 10:06 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,578,396 times
The fact that they now know the two people flying with the stolen passports bought the tickets at the same time would seem to make the odds of some sort of foul play be very high.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsfan View Post
"On Sunday afternoon, a statement issued in the name of a previously unknown group claimed that the disappearance of the plane was a political act aimed at the Chinese and Malaysian governments and referred to last week's attack in a Chinese train station by alleged Uighur separatists. It stopped short of a claim of responsibility. Malaysian officials said that they were unaware of any claim of responsibility but would investigate all possibilities."

Searchers Report Spotting Plane Debris - WSJ.com
That was my first reaction, but I don't see why they would have done it to a Malaysian airline. Their beef is with China. If it had been a Chinese domestic flight, it would have made more sense. I might be wrong, but it doesn't add up.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:14 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,968,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
That was my first reaction, but I don't see why they would have done it to a Malaysian airline. Their beef is with China. If it had been a Chinese domestic flight, it would have made more sense. I might be wrong, but it doesn't add up.

Actually it does add up. One of the Malaysian officials said the authorities were not ruling out Uighur involvement in the jet's disappearance, noting that Uighurs were deported to China from Malaysia in 2011 and 2012 for carrying false passports. So the Uighurs also have issues with Malaysia as well.

Malaysia investigators probe possible airport security lapse

Old 03-09-2014, 10:53 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,968,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
What surprises me is how...HOW on earth can they let someone through with a fake passport? With all the security measures and crap we, the flyers have to deal with(and I am fine with them) they let someone with a fake passport ONBOARD? Isn't there some kind of bar code or some scan that can detect a fake? Like someone mentioned in this thread- fake passports are pretty commonplace in Thailand and indeed many third world countries which means it happens all the time-people boarding with fake passports. Do you get where I am getting with this?
If it indeed boils down to terrorism(which at this stage is all it looks like) then this could be another 9/11 of sorts. Now they will have some new technology for identifying real passports. More "racism" accusations, please arrive 5 hours prior to departure, please take a seat while your passport is stripped and scanned.

I mean think about it. The plane disappears from the grid. Poof! If not for the above mentioned scenario, the other tragic conclusion could be a bomb going off.

Either ways...tragic.
The passports were not fake. They were real but stolen. It seems that many airlines simply don't search the database to verify that passengers are not traveling on stolen passports. This was the case with Malaysia Airlines which didn't make an inquiry to determine if any passengers on the flight were traveling on stolen passports according to acting Malaysian Transportation Minister Hishammuddin Hussein.

New leads explored in hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines flight - CNN.com

Old 03-09-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Actually it does add up. One of the Malaysian officials said the authorities were not ruling out Uighur involvement in the jet's disappearance, noting that Uighurs were deported to China from Malaysia in 2011 and 2012 for carrying false passports. So the Uighurs also have issues with Malaysia as well.

Malaysia investigators probe possible airport security lapse
I wasn't aware of that. Still, it still seems like a petty reason to hate Malaysia. Their hatred for China obviously runs much deeper.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:21 AM

954 posts, read 1,541,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
The fact that they now know the two people flying with the stolen passports bought the tickets at the same time would seem to make the odds of some sort of foul play be very high.
Yes, truly ominous.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:28 AM

30,133 posts, read 23,508,546 times
Okay, I'm going to try this again. Earlier, a link was provided:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61
More debris has been found according to this report:
Google Ãœbersetzer
From your link:

Quote:
The U.S. military said the debris found more oil received SOS signals

In addition, the U.S. Embassy said the 2:43 U.S. military bases stationed in Thailand U-Tapao SOS signal was listening to some of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 emergency call, said the aircraft cabin facing disintegration driver call, they want a forced landing . U.S. troops are currently stationed in Thailand, Malaysia has been providing this signal.
So there was an emergency call? Is that what I'm reading? I understand that the page was translated, hence why I'm asking.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:57 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,967,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
The fact that two people were on the flight with stolen passports is remarkable, but I doubt it has anything to do with the crash.

"A U.S. intelligence official said that no link to terrorism had been discovered so far, but that authorities were still investigating.

Another possible explanation for the use of the stolen passports is illegal immigration.

There are previous cases of illegal immigrants using fake passports trying to get into Western countries. And Southeast Asia is known to be a booming market for stolen passports."

Stolen passports

Old 03-09-2014, 11:58 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,480,650 times
If any of that is true, if U.S. military bases in Thailand were picking up signals and heard an emergency call, why haven't we heard about it aside from that jumbled message that was translated? This happened a couple days ago, I think word would have gotten out by now.

As far as the stolen passports, do these have photos of the original owners or of the ones who used them? I am guessing that the photos were changed, so is there a way to see any kind of video of people who boarded that plane, to match who is who, and who is not? If they can verify the people who were on legitimately, then find the 2 who had the stolen passports, maybe they can compare those photos to some sort of database of known or suspected terrorists or criminals.

Last edited by fuzzymystic; 03-09-2014 at 01:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation