Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 06:01 PM

31,745 posts, read 26,706,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why is that? Whoever is going down with the plane probably isn't financing the venture.
You have a point there; I mean *IF* terrorism were the goal of a mission then it matters not where one sits or whatever. The goal is to get onboard the flight without setting off any alarms and wait......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 06:08 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,673,882 times
Missing Malaysia Airlines flight live: FBI fears four passengers on missing Malaysian jet used stolen passports as 'mid-air disintegration' theory investigated - Mirror Online

Two suspects were Iranians.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:15 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,434,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
I read that the individual who purchased the tickets asked for the cheapest flight available. That doesn't seem like the actions of someone planning a terrorist act.
The WTC bombers got caught when they tried to get the security deposit back on the truck they blew up.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:17 PM

21,076 posts, read 19,579,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It may have been talk about already in this thread but why do black boxes not transmit instantly to a harddrive somewhere on solid land or the cloud? It seems archaic that we have to find a physical black box to get the data on it. Is it for security reasons? If so, can it not be encrypted?
Yes, someone did ask this and I was going to answer it, but never got around to it because I was not sure of all the reasons. But since I learned so much from my attempt to answer the ELT question, I'll take a stab at this.

I believe the technology is there to do what you suggest. For example, pilots have the ability to transmit text messages to their company dispatch offices. It would not seem to be so hard to feed all the flight parameters to them automatically every few seconds. I believe the problem lies in the "bandwidth" that would be necessary to accumulate all the data from all the planes that are in the air at any moment. The system is not designed to handle all that info (as I understand it).

Also, the other poster asked about the Cockpit Voice Recorder. Continually transmitting this to ground stations would raise opposition from pilots. As you might imagine, on a long flight pilots can engage in dialog that they might not want to be heard by others, such as management.

As for being "archaic"...lol, if you only knew how archaic the technology is in some planes. Delta just retired some former Northwest DC-9s that didn't even have GPSs. Even a "modern" aircraft like an Airbus 320 is using 1980's technology. You can find more sophisticated flat panel displays in some single-engine general aviation planes.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:37 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,434,339 times
"Flight Data Monitoring" does exist and is used by many airlines to send real-time flight data and systems status back to HQ.

Flight operations quality assurance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SKYbrary - Flight Data Monitoring
Guardian 7 Aircraft Flight Tracking and Data Communication - Guardian Mobility

Old 03-10-2014, 06:57 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,033,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It may have been talk about already in this thread but why do black boxes not transmit instantly to a harddrive somewhere on solid land or the cloud? It seems archaic that we have to find a physical black box to get the data on it. Is it for security reasons? If so, can it not be encrypted?
It too expensive for real time data updates to be a function that every plane be fitted with and the airlines have fought against the issue. It does not affect safety and is secondary importance. Only reason to transmit black box info would be to make it easier to figure out why the aircraft crashed.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:09 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
What do people here make of the conflicting flight radar reports regarding where the plane went down? One report said it crashed off the coast of Malaysia, then 24 hours later, a different report had it disappear of the coast of Vietnam (after being closely followed by a smaller plane).

Busted! Flight Radar Caught Changing Flight Path of Malaysia Flight 370! - YouTube

Old 03-10-2014, 07:11 PM

11,646 posts, read 12,890,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Wouldn't there have to be a massive breakup of the plane when it hit the water at hundred of miles per hour? How can the Malaysian plane plummet to earth from 30,000 feet and not break up on impact leaving floating debri.
That's true, so that's why I'm going with the theory that it landed on the water in one piece but QUICKLY sunk.

OR...

After it lost contact over the ocean, it turned back to Malaysia and crash landed somewhere in their forests (they still haven't been searching on land).

Old 03-10-2014, 07:29 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,523,333 times
Default It WAS aliens

Hahahaha Giorgio Tsoukalos is a national treasure.

All web based flight tracking available to the public is just about worthless, its an estimate with about 20 minutes of lag time. For instance, I saw a Hawaiian A332 (it's the only Hawaiian flight) pass over my house and when I checked it on Flight radar, it's was just coming on shore near Newport that's about a 60 mile/10 min disparity. When it was over my house on downwind at ~3000 feet flight radar displayed 12000 feet then it said ESTIMATED, then it said 1000 feet, then it just stayed there, mean while the plane has already parked at the gate.

To recap, these flight trackers are not reliable.

Also ,in that video "Busted! Flight Radar Caught Changing Flight Path of Malaysia Flight 370! - YouTube" he is tracking 9M-MRQ as the altered plane. The plane that is missing is 9M-MRO O not Q

Remember the world dosen't stop when a plane crashes, especially on a route like Kualu Lampur/Bejing. The reason it continues past Vietnam is it's 9M MRQ, a different plane on a different day. Flight numbers stay the same even when the A/C changes. Think about when maintenance makes you switch planes. It still goes out as the same flight number even though the airplane changed.

The plane tailing, big deal, Alaska flys their planes very close on hawaii routes so they all arrive in Hawaii at the same time from PDX or SEA (there are various reasons why they do this). My last flight to Kahului there was another identical 738 just behind us and off to the right until about an hour away from the islands. We also got passed by another jet. Doesn't mean anything.

Last edited by AndyAMG; 03-10-2014 at 08:02 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 07:34 PM

54,485 posts, read 33,814,716 times
I've been following this story and I don't think we're going to hear anything with any validity until the parts of aircraft are found, and the FDR, and the CVR are recovered. We also have to remember that this incident happened with a government-operated airline, so we have no idea how this investigation will be conducted.

Searching for the missing aircraft could be very much like trying to find a needle in a large grass field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation