Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 02:31 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
That was my first reaction, but I don't see why they would have done it to a Malaysian airline. Their beef is with China. If it had been a Chinese domestic flight, it would have made more sense. I might be wrong, but it doesn't add up.
The aircraft was going to China and the majority of the passengers were Chinese.

If this was a terrorist act, perhaps their were practical reasons to not use a Chinese carrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 02:31 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,240 times
Quote:

Why aren't they talking about it more? I think that, often times, the media
knows far more than they let on, that's why. Not just in this case, but in many
cases. Not just US media, all media.
My view is the polar opposite. I think the media has to say something, so they make stuff up. I've seen it happen.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:54 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
My view is the polar opposite. I think the media has to say something, so they make stuff up. I've seen it happen.
At least they haven't reported false names of the crew.

Sum Ting Wong, etc...

Old 03-09-2014, 03:40 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Yeah, it can go hand in hand. They do have to say something, but I think that what they know, they don't tell us, so they make something up. Or, in some cases, the reporters really suck and don't ask the right questions. Either way, I think there's more that is already known that we aren't being told just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
At least they haven't reported false names of the crew.

Sum Ting Wong, etc...
Oh hell, I remember that. That was hilarious. Sad, but hilarious.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:01 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
If a fail safe system to prevent those with fake or stolen IDs from traveling via air, you'd see quite a few empty seats on domestic flights.

Two stolen passports? The probability of more than 2 stolen or fraudulent IDs on flights within the USA or anywhere else is very high. The only reason anyone knows about this instance is because of the crash, otherwise, it likely happens quite often.
Not if the 2 stolen passport tickets were purchased together. That's a red light.
Quote:

Terrorists are many things but completely stupid they are not. Why go through and take the risk with a stolen passport or ID when it is easier to obtain valid ones? While it might end up as being a contributing factor in this case this isn't an isolated situation in air travel.
Obtain valid passports? How do you obtain a valid Austrian passport if you aren't citizen?
Quote:
I don't see any information that stolen passports are a factor in most air disasters that involved terrorists.
Well you don't know. How many air disasters by terror did we have since 9/11? If you are on a no fly list and intend to detonate a bomb, a fake identity/ foreign passport comes handy.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:59 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
If the plane crashed into the water in one piece or 1 million, there would be some debris floating on the water.

That leaves the following possibilities.
1. It's a big ocean and the floating debris hasn't been found, yet, for any number of reasons, one of which is that the telemetry tracking information from services like flight aware was incorrect (which is not unusual, in my experience) and/or no one was actually tracking it by radar.
2. The plane did not crash into the water.

That's as far as I can go with the available information.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:13 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
I am definitely a layperson when it comes to aviation, I know little about the industry and its logistics so please bear with me...but how can a Boeing 777 just disappear? How can its location NOT be known?

Old 03-09-2014, 05:35 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
What about Black box or Flight Data Recorder? Even in the case of plane crashing down in water, Black Box is known to emit signals. They are not able to get any signal.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
What about Black box or Flight Data Recorder? Even in the case of plane crashing down in water, Black Box is known to emit signals. They are not able to get any signal.
I thought those beacons had a limited range; don't you need to know at least a general area in which to search before you can expect to pick up the signal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation