Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 05:10 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
How do we define "fact" and "speculation" for this case? Too many sources and authorities have been saying the turnabout in route was due to computer programming. They must have a good basis for making that judgment. Or do we assume that nobody knows what they're talking about for sure? This is getting confusing.
That's what I'm going with. I'm getting to the point that I want to go to each news station and demand to know who the hell their "sources" are because their sources SUCK at getting accurate information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Carney's dead pan response to mention of Diego Garcia at the WH press conference seemed odd.
It's Carney...he's always dead pan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Jesus, is there anything that comes from Fox News that isn't a pile of BS?

Yeah sure, Pakistan has it. We don't even know who the hell killed Tupac in a crowed Las Vegas Strip full of witnesses but somehow we know where the needle is in the haystack.
OH please, this is not a Fox bashing thread so knock it off. If you take the time to look at any other news channel, NO ONE is getting anything right. You want BS? Check out all of them, including your little CNN, and MSNBC. Get over it with Fox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 05:12 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It's Carney...he's always dead pan.

Granted, but I expected just a note of righteous indignation at the thought of US involvement. I didn't expect the one sentence poker face.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:23 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times
Quote:
The plane crashed. Why and where is the question.
Yes, very sad to say, I agree. Up above^^^is where I believe it is for the "where".
For the "why", I almost choked to death last week because of a fire a block away, chemicals burning, felt like I couldn't breathe for hours. In an airplane, they didn't have a chance.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:36 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The fact that the change in flight direction had been programmed into the computer is one factor that leads experts to believe the change in direction wasn't the result of some kind of mechanical failure or fire. The turn wasn't executed using the manual steering controls, they say. It was pre-programmed into the plane's routing computer. And the turn occurred at a mild enough angle that passengers wouldn't have noticed, according to investigators.
Always be prepared for an emergency, get your alternate route set up just in case. Being responsible for so many people, it is a good idea. I take it as precaution not evidence.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:42 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Are you talking about the Maldives where all the islanders watched the loud low flying plane go over?

Believing the Chris theory, it makes perfect sense the pilot would first try to land but head out to an unpopulated area knowing there was a possibility they weren't going to make it. Set up auto pilot, just in case.
There was a fire a block from my house and we felt like we were going to choke just breathing in the house with no windows open. If wires were smouldering in the plane, they wouldn't be able to breathe.
Here are more comments from Chris:

"Somehow I believe this is coming to an end. The reported sighting over the Maldives coincides with the time line well. The aircraft is probably a small distance west of Maldives. I believe it will be found in next 24 hours hopefully. Finally searching in the right place on that extended line which goes over the Maldives I suggested in the first post."

"Google Earth is a great tool. Load it and draw a line yourself from the point of turn of MH370 where it takes a southwesterly heading towards Langkawi. Extend that line to the Maldives. It is 2000 NM
The sighting in the Maldives ties in nicely on the timeline. The plane executes a turn shortly after the transponder goes down at 1:21 5 hours at 400 knots is 2000 miles Plane sighted at Maldives 6:15am
I estimate there was 6 hours fuel left maybe.... maybe consumption was higher if flown at a lower altitude. The aircraft is just west of the Maldives probably."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Here's what I know, Nothing!

Every bit of information released to the public from the Malaysia authorities has been and maybe again corrected. We know nothing. Most of the countries taking part in the search have been getting more and more irritated with Malaysia and have started to pull back assets in the search.

All that we do seem to know for sure is that the MH370 never made it to its schedule destination.
The Malaysian Authorities have shown they aren't capable of running this investigation very efficiently and as a result we still really don't know what happened at all to this aircraft.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:59 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
On Fox, they had a former general on interview who has close ties to the Pentagon and Israelis. He gave strong indication that we know what happened to the plane as does Israel. He indicated news would begin to come out over the next 24-48 hours. He indicated, without actually saying, it's in Pakistan and our government was giving them very little more time to pony up and fess up.
That General must have an ear to the same railroad track I do...

Pakistan (I've been saying that for a few days now)

Old 03-19-2014, 06:31 AM

986 posts, read 1,864,448 times
I wonder how extensively the area near the Maldives has been searched at this point? I do think this is the strongest lead right now (at least, that the public has been informed of by investigators), based on the people who saw a low-flying plane there.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:04 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Crashes are not seamless. there is always data. here we have zero.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:17 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Crashes are not seamless. there is always data. here we have zero.
A crash would have set off the locator beacon. It is still silent.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:33 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Jesus, is there anything that comes from Fox News that isn't a pile of BS?

Yeah sure, Pakistan has it. We don't even know who the hell killed Tupac in a crowed Las Vegas Strip full of witnesses but somehow we know where the needle is in the haystack.
The same "BS" as you put it was also on CNN:

Quote:
James Kallstrom, a former FBI assistant director, said it’s possible the plane could have landed, though he added that more information is needed to reach a definitive conclusion. He referred to the vast search area.
‘You draw that arc and you look at countries like Pakistan, you know, and you get into your Superman novels and you see the plane landing somewhere and (people) repurposing it for some dastardly deed down the road,’ he told CNN’s Jake Tapper on Thursday. ‘I mean, that’s not beyond the realm of realism. I mean, that could happen.’
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation