Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 01:03 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,134,421 times

Advertisements

Sheesh, data mining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
A sociopath is capable of killing you, then sitting on your body and eating your lunch; a crazy person is capable of anything. Lots of sociopaths out there.

Why did the jet fly somewhere off the map, we guess, for 5 more hours? INSURANCE. Depending on the insurance policy and when it was made, even the family of a suicide can collect insurance proceeds. But a criminal in the commission of a crime? Good luck with that. Unless of course that criminal conceals his act and culpability.
Yeah, but I don't think a sociopath would kill himself to give money to his family, they're into satisfying their own needs. And someone who was just suicidal wouldn't kill the pilot and then all the passengers in cold blood.

But I'm sure we'll hear some more about their backgrounds, so who knows. All that's certain is that it wasn't a fire or technical breakdown, assuming that we've been getting the correct information about the timeline where the turn happens before the "good night".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 01:24 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,134,421 times
I haven't seen much speculation about the idea of hackers gaining control of the computer systems. I don't think that's likely though because some of the systems had to be disabled manually.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:54 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,647,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
OK, so the latest theory now is that a career pilot is an incompetent, and accidentally killed everyone on board, then became desperate to hide all evidence?

Boredom feeds imagination, I guess....
Maybe we should call CNN, they may want us on the panel since we have figured this whole thing out,

Old 03-21-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Theories:

2 sleeper cell radical Islamic pilots devise a plan. Plane takes off, they program in a course, shut down all communications and tracking, take the plane up to 45,000 ft, put on their oxygen masks, depressurize the airline until everyone is dead, drop the plane back down to low altitude, run auto program, auto pilot, lower the plane and slow the plane, make their way to rear of aircraft with parachutes on and jump from the plane are met by radical terrorists in boat or even on land. Program kicks in, flies plane across Indian ocean near Australia, runs out of fuel and crashes into ocean. Pilots grow long beards and blend into some seedy back country Islamic fundamentalists group.

Second Theory: Plane smuggled and landed safely someplace with passengers either all dead or being held. Crazy Islamic terror network following news and sees those looking for them are getting warm, they go to scrap yard and gather a bunch of old broken plane parts and dump them out into the Indian sea.
haha, yes our brains are all on overdrive but you can join the panel too.
Sorry to laugh concerning something so sad and tragic but laughter is a way to relieve stress and your theories are hilarious.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No, it makes no apparent sense to me either based upon the timing of the last contact and the change in direction. There's some missing information somewhere along the way. Also, what happens to the eye witness accounts of a low flying plane, on fire I think, seen by the oil rig workers not too far from Viet Nam. That sighting seemed really credible unless it was something else they were seeing, not this plane. (Oh, I wasn't going to do "theories" anymore!!!!!)
Today on CNN a member of the panel said something that will not leave my mind.

He said MAYBE there was a mayday call but nobody was listening!
Remember Thailand didn't release the data until a week later? Weren't they responsible after the plane went into their territory? The panelist said, "it was 1:15 am, maybe someone just wasn't alert and missed the call."
The poor pilots have been bashed for not making a mayday call when they might have.
I didn't think a thing like that was possible but evidently it is.

The oil rig guy could have seen a flash of fire coming out of the back of the plane. This after the co pilot signed off and as they went into Thai waters they could have realized they were in trouble and started working on the problem. Calling mayday with no one listening.
Everybody feeling the pilot was a terrorist and never paying attention to what the oil guy was saying.

Last edited by mag32gie; 03-21-2014 at 02:28 AM..

Old 03-21-2014, 06:00 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,233,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Today on CNN a member of the panel said something that will not leave my mind.

He said MAYBE there was a mayday call but nobody was listening!
Yep. maybe air traffic controllers were speeping. would not be 1st time. LOL

"Unfortunately, this is not a new problem. We've seen several instances of air traffic controllers falling asleep on duty in recent months. A few of the cases recently reported to the FAA include:
• A controller at a Miami regional tower fell asleep during an overnight shift. This regional center is responsible for controlling air traffic for most of Florida, as well as parts of the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean.
• One controller slept for five hours while working a midnight shift at a Tennessee airport tower.
• A supervisor at Washington, D.C.'s Reagan National Airport fell asleep for nearly a half hour during a night shift. At the time, the supervisor was the only air traffic controller on duty in the tower."

Old 03-21-2014, 06:20 AM

3,373 posts, read 9,181,722 times
Fire on board. Aircraft turned west towards land / airports. Crew started dealing with fire and smoke. Cabin was depressurized to deal with fire or it happened anyways. Fire was killed lack of oxygen. However crew was already over come by smoke due to the o2 system being compromised.

The airplane continued to fly until it ran out of fuel.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,291,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Fire on board. Aircraft turned west towards land / airports. Crew started dealing with fire and smoke. Cabin was depressurized to deal with fire or it happened anyways. Fire was killed lack of oxygen. However crew was already over come by smoke due to the o2 system being compromised.

The airplane continued to fly until it ran out of fuel.
This is the very sad thing I believe, too, now that I read the link from that pilot
explaining things and esp the left turn to the best airstrip. Even the possible altitude
climb as a possibility to try to put out a fire...he thought in the tire.

All the other ideas mean nothing to me anymore... I believe the passengers
succumbed to smoke or toxic fumes, also...any other ideas I feel the person
has not read that link...I know it can be found in post #1470.... R_cowgirl.
Just sayin....

Has everyone given a rep to the op for starting this thread?

Old 03-21-2014, 07:12 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,822,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
I thought English was a standard for ATC/pilots the world over?
It is. ICAO mandate. All communication between ground control and crew on international flights is in English, doesn't matter where in the world you are, doesn't matter what airlines.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:15 AM

3,483 posts, read 8,987,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It is. ICAO mandate. All communication between ground control and crew on international flights is in English, doesn't matter where in the world you are, doesn't matter what airlines.
And the key to that is "international flights" so this flight would have been communicating in English. If you're on a local flight in your home country then the flight will be in the home language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation