Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 12:59 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Sounds bougus. You're at sea and you see a plane fly overhead on fire, that's something you report right away not months later. They knew their GPS location at the time - when you're sailing across the ocean you always want to know exactly where you are - and the area being searched was splashed across every channel 24/7 the first few weeks.

It could very well be bogus but at that time it was not "they". She and her husband (also on the boat) were not even speaking to each other and their marriage was in serious trouble. She even said that she was extremely upset. So she wouldn't have told him about it if they weren't speaking and she had a lot more on her mind than seeing planes that night.

Now they are reconciled and she told him what she saw and together they calculated that they would have been in the area at the time. That's all. It was not a perfect situation in which the witness would have responded they way they would be expected to. She also said that since she thought there were two planes flying right above the burning plane, she thought they would certainly have reported it. Could be wrong, could be right, but I don't think these reports should be pushed aside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 01:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Also, it's been reported that a woman who was on a yacht at the time the plane disappeared says she saw a plane on fire in the sky with two other planes flying above it in the opposite direction. Most of the comments that I saw on the story were ridiculing her. Apparently she and her husband finally calculated their location on their GPS and realized that they would have been in one of the flight paths.

I still tend to place some merit on these eye witness reports. People have nothing to gain by reporting that they saw something. They have more to lose by people calling them crazy. Several people have reported a plane on fire and not in the Indian Ocean either.

MH370 search: British sailor may have seen Malaysia Airlines jet on fire
Well, now, this is interesting. I, too, give some credence to at least some of the eyewitness accounts. I'll bet there are more that haven't come forward.

The article doesn't specify, though, where the sailboat was when the plane was spotted. Closer to Thailand? In the Bay of Bengal? And what were the two planes passing above it, going in the opposite direction? Why didn't they report anything?

Old 06-05-2014, 01:45 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,533,906 times
She should have kept her mouth shut about the marital problems part. I don't care how absolutely fuming mad I might be at my spouse, if I thought there were a plane in flames flying overhead, I would have gotten him up and shown/told him--or the other crew member on the boat. Seems like you can follow planes at night for a fairly long time if it's a clear night.

How long did she see this, I wonder? Was it flying really low or just kind of low, since she saw 2 other planes above it? Guess she didn't have field glasses to try to get a better look. Who would have those on a boat?

She said she thought one of those other planes overhead would have reported it. She should have just left it at that.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
How long did she see this, I wonder? Was it flying really low or just kind of low, since she saw 2 other planes above it? Guess she didn't have field glasses to try to get a better look. Who would have those on a boat?
Boats generally do carry field glasses. But not night vision goggles.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Boats generally do carry field glasses. But not night vision goggles.
Why wouldn't regular binoculars work? I was being sarcastic about the field glasses, btw.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Why wouldn't regular binoculars work?
Is there a difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic;
I was being sarcastic about the field glasses, btw.
I wasn't sure.

But I sure wish they'd find this plane. How do you lose a huge jetliner? Why didn't witnesses, especially airborne ones, report it right away?

Oh well.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Is there a difference?
I wasn't sure.

But I sure wish they'd find this plane. How do you lose a huge jetliner? Why didn't witnesses, especially airborne ones, report it right away?

Oh well.
I mean regular binoculars or field glasses, same thing. I think they might work if the person is experienced in navigating at night. I don't know though because it seems like it would be hard to zoom in on your target at night. I wonder how her sighting meshes with the oil rig worker who said he saw a plane on fire. Were they near the same area?

Old 06-05-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I mean regular binoculars or field glasses, same thing. I think they might work if the person is experienced in navigating at night. I don't know though because it seems like it would be hard to zoom in on your target at night. I wonder how her sighting meshes with the oil rig worker who said he saw a plane on fire. Were they near the same area?
The oil rig worker was in the China Sea. The boat was somewhere between India and Thailand, on the opposite side of Malaysia. But yeah, I wondered the same thing. Suddenly, it lends credence to the oil worker's story.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:35 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,036,841 times
Quote:
Well, now, this is interesting. I, too, give some credence to at least some of the eyewitness accounts. I'll bet there are more that haven't come forward.

The article doesn't specify, though, where the sailboat was when the plane was spotted. Closer to Thailand? In the Bay of Bengal? And what were the two planes passing above it, going in the opposite direction? Why didn't they report anything?

Whatever happened... wherever that plane is...I do believe more than a few pairs of eyes saw something. Whether some of those eyes were not surprised at what they saw?.....hmm....

Old 06-06-2014, 02:38 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times
Quote:
The oil rig worker was in the China Sea. The boat was somewhere between India and Thailand, on the opposite side of Malaysia. But yeah, I wondered the same thing. Suddenly, it lends credence to the oil worker's story.
Is this the area where the woman on the plane said she saw a plane in the water?
I thought she really believed she saw it because after all the traveling, she takes the time to go to the police station to fill out a report.

Here is a map with the yacht location at the far left.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Last edited by mag32gie; 06-06-2014 at 02:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation