Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 09:30 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
People who commit suicide do it in lots of ways. It doesn't matter if you "get why" they chose to do it in the way they did it. But it is pretty amazing that you don't get why a person would care about the way they did it or the effect it has on others.

Btw, a credible reason was given - notoriety. By not being found, the story remains in the news and becomes one of the great mysteries.
I think you are grasping at straws. People who want to commit suicide, just want to kill themselves and get it over with, as soon as possible. Sometimes they want to take other people with them. They don't try to plan out the most elaborate suicide they can think of. Most people who commit suicide have mental issues and are probably not even thinking clear enough, to plan something like this. People who don't commit suicide quick enough, often change their minds. They just want to get it done as quick and easy as possible.

Second, he had no way of knowing that the plane would not be found. The plane could have crashed right next to a ship, or another plane could have witnessed them crash. If the Malaysian, Indonesian, and Thai Air Forces had been doing their job, they would have been tracking the plane, and known exactly where it ended up. Then it would have been found quick. He had no way of knowing if the plane would be found, or how soon it would be found, and he would have had no reason to care anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 09:53 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Who knows? Part of the plan could have been to set the auto pilot for a course deep into the Indian Ocean, followed by depressurizing the cabin. Everyone, including the captain, would quickly lose consciousness and die on route to a deep water burial for everyone.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:07 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
FI'm not an aircraft expert, but I believe that could be explained with a major malfunction, such as an electrical or other failure. Also the possibility that everybody on the plane was incapacitated by that point.
So, a chain of four or five extremely unlikely events, with nothing counter or contradictory happening... or one chain of events driven by a knowledgeable, focused person with very bad intentions.

Quote:
I think you are grasping at straws.
In all the discussions over the years, I've never encountered anyone so adamant about exonerating the pilot.

Read up on Occam's Razor and review the known facts. You aren't just multiplying entities unnecessarily, but absurdly.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:18 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
I think you are grasping at straws. People who want to commit suicide, just want to kill themselves and get it over with, as soon as possible. Sometimes they want to take other people with them. They don't try to plan out the most elaborate suicide they can think of. Most people who commit suicide have mental issues and are probably not even thinking clear enough, to plan something like this. People who don't commit suicide quick enough, often change their minds. They just want to get it done as quick and easy as possible.

Second, he had no way of knowing that the plane would not be found. The plane could have crashed right next to a ship, or another plane could have witnessed them crash. If the Malaysian, Indonesian, and Thai Air Forces had been doing their job, they would have been tracking the plane, and known exactly where it ended up. Then it would have been found quick. He had no way of knowing if the plane would be found, or how soon it would be found, and he would have had no reason to care anyway.

I think you're 100% wrong and are talking out your back end out of foolish pride in "winning" an internet debate. You don't have a clue what the pilot cared about or had a reason to care about.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5075269/

Old 05-17-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
So, a chain of four or five extremely unlikely events, with nothing counter or contradictory happening... or one chain of events driven by a knowledgeable, focused person with very bad intentions.

In all the discussions over the years, I've never encountered anyone so adamant about exonerating the pilot.

Read up on Occam's Razor and review the known facts. You aren't just multiplying entities unnecessarily, but absurdly.
I'm not trying to exonerate anyone. I'm just not convinced that this was suicide by pilot, based on the information we have now, which is granted not much. It could have been suicide, but I don't think there is enough evidence. The investigation was blunder early on, and I'm not sure we are getting the truth even now. There is too much BS being reported in this case.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:47 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
Quote:
Well I already gave two theories, that I think are more likely. Both would explain why the plane flew for six hours in a straight line. Which the suicide theory can't do.

1. Maybe the pilots were incapacitated, and the plane flew until it ran out of fuel.

2. Maybe they suffered some type of catastrophic control problem and the plane flew until running out of fuel.

I agree that a mechanical failure, maybe the oxygen system, could have caused what happened. It's not unknown for shoddy maintenance to occur.

And I agree that calling it mass murder is better than calling it suicide. To intentionally kill all those people and hide the plane so no one has a chance of recovering any bodies is very extreme.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:58 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Why would a suicidal pilot need to go to a remote area to crash the plane. Is the water harder there than the water they were going to cross on their original flight path?
To make a mystery out of it?

He flew the direction with the highest probability of not being found.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I think you're 100% wrong and are talking out your back end out of foolish pride in "winning" an internet debate. You don't have a clue what the pilot cared about or had a reason to care about.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5075269/
Likewise, you don't have any clue what the pilot cared about. Neither of us knew him. So let's look at what the people close to him think. Here is what his sister thinks. Hint: she doesn't agree with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNfnLNGJaxQ

Old 05-17-2018, 12:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Likewise, you don't have any clue what the pilot cared about. Neither of us knew him. So let's look at what the people close to him think. Here is what his sister thinks. Hint: she doesn't agree with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNfnLNGJaxQ
Family and friends generally are not the most reliable sources, they after all have defended murders, rapists, etc, despite overwhelming evidence and even admissions of guilt. As former LEO, have had had family members defend their relatives even after showing video evidence of the crime.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:02 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
I agree, I don't see this as suicide by pilot. Generally when pilots want to crash their plane, they either 1. lock their co-pilot out of the cockpit, and then start a controlled descent into the ground or water, or 2. they just engage the thrust reverser and dive the plane into the ground, before their co-pilot can do anything about it. There would be no purpose in flying to a remote location just to crash.
Maybe I'm confusing this winter another story, but didn't he lock the co-pilot out of the cockpit?

[quote=dkf747;Why would a suicidal pilot need to go to a remote area to crash the plane. Is the water harder there than the water they were going to cross on their original flight path? [/quote]. He was a courteous suicidal pilot, who didn't want to risk crashing in the midst of international shipping lanes, or cause any additional mayhem?

But yeah, making sure the black box was never found makes sense, as a motive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation