Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 11:57 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Speaking of which, I find it so irritating when the media says things like: "The flight that is missing has three Americans on board." So we shouldn't care about the 220+ other passengers of other nationalities?!
They are special. To us, the American people. I don't see other countries giving more attention to any other nationality then their own.

That is how it is and how most would expect it to be. I would hope that if I were the ONLY American in such a situation, that the USA would focus on me more than others just for the fact that I was an American citizen in such messed up search situation, being led by a country (Malaysia) that can't even get their government/military and local authorities to agree on wtf is even going on.

Quote:
I wonder what a furor there would be if the media said, "There were 110 men on board." This, of course, implies that the women and children are worthless. How about just leaving it as, "There were 230 people on board" without going into detail about how many are Americans, as if that somehow makes those passengers special?!
Seriously?

I certainly hope for the best and feel really bad for every single person on that plane and for the family and friends who are going through hell right now. I wish them peace going through this horrific period of their lives.

Last edited by ForLoveOnly; 03-13-2014 at 12:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 01:50 AM

335 posts, read 409,867 times
One has to wonder if the transponders were simultaneously shut off manually did a terrorist group TAKE the plane to
a clandestine strip on an isolated island or location that could be undetected? Could a member of the cockpit crew have overcome his fellow members ,disable the transponders and crashed the aircraft? The theories abound as this IS truely
a mystery. Bottom line many lost their lives apparently and much suffering for families and friends......terrible.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:15 AM

720 posts, read 806,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Really. This is exciting news to you.
Creepy and inappropriate.
More judgmental than the comment warranted. Most of us understood the point, and it wasn't what you interpreted. Chill.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:50 AM

720 posts, read 806,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Speaking of which, I find it so irritating when the media says things like: "The flight that is missing has three Americans on board." So we shouldn't care about the 220+ other passengers of other nationalities?! I wonder what a furor there would be if the media said, "There were 110 men on board." This, of course, implies that the women and children are worthless. How about just leaving it as, "There were 230 people on board" without going into detail about how many are Americans, as if that somehow makes those passengers special?!
It's true American news media is irritating, and it's largely that way now because it is advertiser/profit driven instead of old fashioned news. However, this example isn't a fair one. It is American news media reporting to Americans, and all countries, even states and towns, do that in reporting. They report when any of their own are involved in a big news event. In the case of countries, governments get involved on behalf of their missing or waylaid citizens, for the same reason, the citizens are their own people. There's plenty to criticize, but make it balanced and fair or you're just being hyper-defensive and kneejerk.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:02 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inattentive View Post
One has to wonder if the transponders were simultaneously shut off manually did a terrorist group TAKE the plane to
a clandestine strip on an isolated island or location that could be undetected? Could a member of the cockpit crew have overcome his fellow members ,disable the transponders and crashed the aircraft? The theories abound as this IS truely
a mystery. Bottom line many lost their lives apparently and much suffering for families and friends......terrible.
You have to wonder. Everything stopped working. No wreckage at sea. Plane had turned in the other direction. People on isolated islands saw and heard a plane, loud and low flying. It seems that it would be on land somewhere, but why? Hijacked to an airstrip is possible because that plane doesn't need a lot of room to take off--but why would they want to take off? Or did they crash it onto land.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:24 AM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,230 times
This is getting very bizarre...apparently the plane flew for 4-5 hours after it "disappeared".
U.S. Investigators Suspect Missing Malaysia Airplane Flew On for Hours - WSJ.com

Old 03-13-2014, 06:04 AM

986 posts, read 1,865,956 times
I have a feeling that we aren't going to be getting solid answers on this tragedy for quite some time. But all of this sure is interesting... I'm on the edge of my seat!

Old 03-13-2014, 06:27 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
There is more to this story than anyone is telling us right now. The people who investigate this stuff are pretty good at what they do and I bet there is a lot going on behind the scenes that will come out later on.

Did I see something on the news about how the two pilots may have permitted civilian women to visit the cockpit during a flight ? If so, that tells you there was lax cockpit security and those guys should have learned a lesson after 9-11.

Don

Old 03-13-2014, 07:02 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,076 times
Reports suggesting that the Rolls Royce engines of the plane were transmitting data are wrong. Last data was transmitted at 1:09 AM while plane itself was in touch with Air Traffic Controller till 1:30 AM.
Officials deny report that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 kept flying - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation