Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 02:23 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,532,742 times

Advertisements

^^^^That's what I don't understand. Why, even though there are new clues all the time about what this plane did, where it went, why are they insisting that it crashed in the water somewhere? No matter how far they extend the search, they are still searching in water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 02:24 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times
For some reason I keep thinking hypoxia. Payne Stewarts jet flew for hours before crashing in South Dakota. Maybe there was some kind of additional failure that rendered the transponder useless after the crew and passengers were already dead.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:27 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Forgive me if I'm not aware of where the transponders are each located. Where are they located and if both are not in the cockpit, how can a co-pilot leave the cockpit completely unattended if the other pilot is in the restroom?
The transponders themselves are in the electronics compartment, which is below deck in front of the forward cargo. However, the transponder controls are located in the flight deck, so one does not need to leave there to turn the transponders off.

If the 4+ hours flying off course is true, that takes the lithium batteries out of the equation.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
on the looking at land - one would think many friendly airstrips for a plane of this size are likely monitored by someone over at the CIA - would seem someone had to see this

and if we know the only thing I can think of is we have yet to determine how to get at with some seal force or something who knows

still this could been something technical and nose dived and may never be found

this is like a modern day Bermuda Triangle of sorts - notice nothing really goes missing there these days as we now can sort of tract stuff there

Old 03-14-2014, 02:28 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
For some reason I keep thinking hypoxia. Payne Stewarts jet flew for hours before crashing in South Dakota. Maybe there was some kind of additional failure that rendered the transponder useless after the crew and passengers were already dead.
The only issue is that they seem to think the plane changed course a few times. Dead people or the autopilot doesn't do that.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:38 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
I think the moon (at least half-full) would have been a couple hours from setting around 1am on that day, if I'm figuring correctly. Would that have been enough for the pilot to have a general idea of what direction to head, and to see, if they lost all instruments?
Of course. Not to mention an iphone has a compass that work even in airplane mode. The issue isn't knowing which direction to go but getting the plane to go there, if all the electronics are dead. But what we think we know now about it's flight path indicates the plane was fully operational.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:49 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Another possibility, under the piracy/hijacking scenario, is that certain authorities (most likely U.S. military intelligence) knows exactly where this plane is right now and all the swagging is to create the illusion that we are clueless while military operations are being designed. It may be wishful thinking but the best outcome would be an announcement in a few days/weeks that a special forces raid has secured the plane and it's passengers.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:56 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
The only issue is that they seem to think the plane changed course a few times. Dead people or the autopilot doesn't do that.
The autopilot system can change course and fly way-point to way-point if you input the route into the FMC (Flight Management Computer) beforehand. The 777 is a highly autonomous aircraft. However, where the investigators think the plan flew was clearly not the intended route, so either someone was steering it around or that course was input into the computer.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:00 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times
I've been following this since the beginning. I hoep they find it soon just to give the families some closurel.

I saw a comment on Yahoo a few days ago that made the most sense to me and I had to look up the similar incident mentioned and from what I've read and followed I think this is the most likely scenario.

Someone mentioned this being similar to the golfer Payne Stewart 1999 South Dakota plane crash. I don't remember this at all but looking it up this is very likely what happened to this 777.

A fast loss of cabin pressure resulting in everyone dying of hypoxia. That plane was to lane in Dallas. It kept going and crashed in South Dakota. VERY far from Dallas.

If what they say about the plane making a quick left is true then it keep going and went down in the Indian Ocean or one of those little islands or atolls near the Maldives, Seychelles anywhere but far from where they insist on looking.

If not this then they know EXACTLY what happened and are trying to band together for a good cover story for whatever went down.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:03 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,532,742 times
But the Payne Stewart scenario doesn't make sense because of the 2 communication systems being turned off at different times. Also, the plane doesn't seem to have flown a straight path after it turned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation