Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 08:06 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,497 times

Advertisements

So the latest breaking news on cnn is high ranking US officials saying it likely crashed in the Indian Ocean.

So who will be in charge of the investigation? If the US finds the plane in the Indian Ocean, are we just going to hand it over to the Malaysian authorities? I don't think the US gov't takes a chance that they don't find out exactly what happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 08:07 PM

8,615 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
A few days ago, there was a youtube video of radar that showed the plane until it disappeared from radar, and in that video it showed another plane in close proximity to the missing plane. It disappeared from radar too. This morning, I saw something on the news about the missing plane being followed, but I only heard it once. I watched all day, on various news channels, and never saw it mentioned again.
I think this may have been the youtube video you were speaking about that was posted back on 3/9:

Busted! Flight Radar Caught Changing Flight Path of Malaysia Flight 370! - YouTube

Old 03-14-2014, 08:11 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Planes traveling at speed and high altitudes don't disintegrate slowly enough for someone to talk about it. That is probably why the web page with that information no longer exists.

Consider the plane at cruising altitude and speed. Nothing happens slowly in terms of a disintegration. Remember, they were traveling over 500 mph. If just the windshield glazing broke up, at that speed no is one talking about anything and no one is going to hear radio transmissions about it either.
But isn't that just another theory?

What about the eyewitness that said a plane was flying very low, with all its lights on, or landing lights in the location that people are saying the plane was flying after it turned back, and at the time of night the plane was said to have been seen by the military?

Old 03-14-2014, 08:12 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Hasn't anyone ever watched "The Twilight Zone" ?

The plane has been shot down by 2 Nazi Fighters or collided with Amelia Earhart's plane.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:20 PM

8,615 posts, read 10,146,663 times
All of these thoughts and conspiracy theories about what may have happened just reminds me of that game show To Tell the Truth...Will the REAL cause of the disappearance of Flight 370 please stand up...

Old 03-14-2014, 08:20 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,532,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I think this may have been the youtube video you were speaking about that was posted back on 3/9:

Busted! Flight Radar Caught Changing Flight Path of Malaysia Flight 370! - YouTube
Actually, I found that, but...the original video was taken down and the one that's up now is different. This new one shows it as having traveled across Viet Nam, the other had it disappearing in the spot where they originally lost contact. But, in both cases, there is a plane very near to the missing plane.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:23 PM

542 posts, read 692,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
So the latest breaking news on cnn is high ranking US officials saying it likely crashed in the Indian Ocean.

So who will be in charge of the investigation? If the US finds the plane in the Indian Ocean, are we just going to hand it over to the Malaysian authorities? I don't think the US gov't takes a chance that they don't find out exactly what happened.
I think there's international rules as to who's in charge of the investigation. I read this statement from the wikipedia article on the Air France 447 crash: As the aircraft was of French registration and crashed over international waters, this is the responsibility of the French government, under the ICAO convention.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:28 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
At 45000 feet it's possible the engines flamed out. To restart them, the plane needs to enter a high-speed dive. But I wouldn't know why they'd be at 450 anyway.
For starters, the only problem I know of that a Boeing would have operating above its service ceiling is dealing with frozen fuel.

That said, if the engines flamed out, you have to restart the engines at a lower altitude where the air is more dense. I believe at least FL200. Entering a high speed dive is not the procedure to restart flamed out engines on a large passenger jet.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:29 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Under ICAO rules its Malaysian till they find it, then if its in international waters then Malaysian is lead, if with in some other country then that country is lead. US (NTSB/FAA) is party to investigation due to plane being US made, engines ( rolls royce ) UK ....

Old 03-14-2014, 08:31 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,235 times
I think it was accidentally shot down - this turning west story is a cover up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation