Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 04:11 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Always remember that the word 'AMOK' is the only Malaysian word the world uses. 'Running amok' is defined as "an episode of sudden mass assault against people ". It's a cultural thing.

It would not do Malaysia, the Malaysian airline, foreign business, or tourism any good to identify suicidal problems with the pilot(s). If the authorities can't blame it on technical issues or hijacking passengers, we will not hear any admission to what they possibly found out by going through the private info they collected at the pilots houses.

Amok is *only* a Malaysian word? Guess you've never seen that old Warner Brother's cartoon with Daffy Duck; in case you missed it the title is "Duck Amok".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 04:18 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Malaysian plane saga highlights air defense gaps | Reuters

Old 03-16-2014, 04:21 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
1100 posts before they find this thing.
It may take months or years to find out. It's almost a waste to read this forum - the only conclusion at this point is that NO ONE HAS ANY IDEA of where it is or what happened. All these theories and counter theories, a waste to read. The press is grasping at anything, some of the forum is grasping at nonsensical conspiracy theories...I don't blame them, there is nothing else to go on. But there are 94 pages here and counting of essentially garbage.

A contributor to this is Malaysia. This is a developing country, in the midst of many developing rival countries where cooperation is minimal, technology is at previous century levels...and graft and political corruption are at maximum levels. Essentially it's getting a dozen or more countries at this level in this region, that see each other as enemies, to cooperate and give out radar and communication information.

They will find this plane...eventually. Probably at the bottom of the ocean. Debris will wash along the shore. Maybe we will get lucky and a plane will spot debris. But until then, speculation seems useless.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:37 PM

5,202 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It may take months or years to find out. It's almost a waste to read this forum - the only conclusion at this point is that NO ONE HAS ANY IDEA of where it is or what happened. All these theories and counter theories, a waste to read. The press is grasping at anything, some of the forum is grasping at nonsensical conspiracy theories...I don't blame them, there is nothing else to go on. But there are 94 pages here and counting of essentially garbage.

A contributor to this is Malaysia. This is a developing country, in the midst of many developing rival countries where cooperation is minimal, technology is at previous century levels...and graft and political corruption are at maximum levels. Essentially it's getting a dozen or more countries at this level in this region, that see each other as enemies, to cooperate and give out radar and communication information.
As you say we have reached the end of the line, with the captain most likely the culprit and a vast wide open ocean to search.

This is one for the books and most likely a first of it's kind with todays technology. A plane that was intentionally cut off from all ability to make itself known in one of the largest open bodies of water in the world.

Unless the pilots simulator or computers shed a light..........we will have to wait for the black boxes to be found.

I have a real no-nonsense question though....with the pilot as experienced as he is........does he have the ability to turn the black boxes off or disrupt them?

Old 03-16-2014, 04:40 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
We found the titanic. We'll probably find this thing. I don't think it will be within the next 20 days though. And that will mean it will take a very long time. Years is probably right. And even then we may not find out much about motives, etc. (that we don't get from an investigation that doesn't involve the wreckage), given the rolling two hour recording limit of the audio recorder.

We've kind of been conditioned over the past week and in particular the past 72 hours to getting new directions, new leads, new information. But I think we'll need to now get used to a very long wait. In a way, the story is already over.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:44 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
There are no air defense gaps, it is just that what country would divulge the capabilities of their air defenses because an airliner went missing. As tragic as it is, more tragic would be the penetration of air defenses because the capabilities were made known to the world.

The NSA bugged computers sold overseas, being able to gather information from them even when turned off.
The entire traffic content of mobile phone calls can be collected and stored.
If one jaywalks in almost any large city, it is captured on some video.
Almost every car made within the last decade has a black box that collects the last 30 seconds of data about the operational parameters of the car.

We are to believe that Boeing is allowed to sell such aircraft to other countries and not have some sort of location notification device installed, independent of whatever someone flying the plane can turn off? This isn't some million dollar device mind you, these things are COTS (commercial off the shelf) items.

The whereabouts of the plane are known, divulging that information would be seen as harmful to the intelligence and defense systems of countries like the US, China and so on.

Because, if a plane being flown without stealth technology and so on can evade tracking then why bother with making multi-billion dollar stealth bombers and fighters? Why not just get a bunch of commercial aircraft, turn off their transponders and other location signaling devices and be done with it?

I mean, for the price of a single stealth bomber, you could have an entire fleet of commercial aircraft that could fly just about anywhere without anyone knowing.

This is why I say we (as in country) and many others know where the plane was before it either landed or crashed.

No country will give up military secrets for a couple hundred people.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:57 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
We found the titanic. We'll probably find this thing. I don't think it will be within the next 20 days though. And that will mean it will take a very long time. Years is probably right. And even then we may not find out much about motives, etc. (that we don't get from an investigation that doesn't involve the wreckage), given the rolling two hour recording limit of the audio recorder.

We've kind of been conditioned over the past week and in particular the past 72 hours to getting new directions, new leads, new information. But I think we'll need to now get used to a very long wait. In a way, the story is already over.
Of course they found the Titanic. There were rescuers right there, saving the few passengers that were still alive. They knew exactly where it was.

How does that compare to this situation?

Old 03-16-2014, 05:07 PM

542 posts, read 692,085 times
I think he meant Bob Ballard found the Titanic on the ocean floor. Maybe we should call him in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post

I have a real no-nonsense question though....with the pilot as experienced as he is........does he have the ability to turn the black boxes off or disrupt them?
The worst thing - other than a whole plane full of people being lost - is if we do find the plane but there's not data on the recorders, or it's unreadable. And then the mystery never being solved.

Last edited by Tatooine; 03-16-2014 at 05:16 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 05:09 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Of course they found the Titanic. There were rescuers right there, saving the few passengers that were still alive. They knew exactly where it was.

How does that compare to this situation?
Fair enough. It still took 71 years to find the wreckage. However we have much better technology now. So primitive technology + knowing exactly where it was = 71 years vs. state-of-the-art technology + not knowing exactly where it is = x years. I don't know. But I think it will be found in the level of magnitude of "years."

Old 03-16-2014, 05:19 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
It was the system that relays information about the engines. The system had been turned off, so no data was sent or received, but kinda like the Verizon commercial where the guy keeps calling and saying, "Can you hear me now?", the satellite and airplane kept in touch, but never really had a meaningful conversation.

As I said above, the satellite measured the strength of the signals it was receiving, just because that's one of the things it always does, but that signal strength was how they calculated how far away the plane was.

Again, what I'm telling you about the satellite pings is second hand, from what I've read, but I've had personal experience with Search and Rescue.

Where your search begins, is what's called the "LKP", or Last Known Position. Early on, the LKP of this flight was where ATC radar contact (the signal from the plane's transponder), was initially lost, over the waters between Malaysia and Vietnam. As more information was uncovered, like the radar returns from the military air defense radars, and the satellite pings we're talking about, it became apparent that the plane had gone somewhere to the west. Lacking any better information, the arcs shown in that news story represent a set of possible Last Known Positions.

Keep in mind that the authorities certainly aren't revealing every little snippet of information they have, so there may well be a whole lot more such plots of possible locations, but the others may well show locations closer to where the plane initially disappeared. The one published is probably the last set, thus the most relevant one.
Hmmm...I may be kind of getting it.

The thing is, since you used the phone analogy, I guess maybe the cell towers don't have as large an area to "search" as the satellite does...maybe that's why? I've heard it explained that way, like the cell towers to a phone, so that's why I thought, "Well! Then why can't they locate it?"

Am I getting it, or am I still way off, by saying, it's just because the satellite has a larger area to cover, that's why it can't be precise in pinpointing like a cell tower can with a phone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation