U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2014, 11:09 AM

15,609 posts, read 12,827,161 times
BBC News - Vietnam probes possible debris from missing Malaysia plane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 11:23 AM

779 posts, read 528,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
That might have worked 30 years ago, but everyone and his grandmother has a cell phone these days and someone would have at least texted or got off a secret call.
This has a better chance of happening now then 10 years ago, because everybody thinks that someone can just send a text message or voice message. Cell phones will not work in the middle of the South China sea. If you base your idea on cell phones working here in the us, forget it. A few years ago some airlines installed a localized cell site on the aircraft and then transmitted the signal to a satellite and then down to the phone system. This is not available outside the US.

Also, if the pilots are in on it they could turn all of the cell phone equipment on the airplane off. Another solution are cell phone jamers that are available to police and the military. These electronic jamers will disrupt all cell phone communications for several hundred yards. I will not underestimate the intelligence of the terrorist.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:31 AM

3,917 posts, read 2,398,159 times
If a fail safe system to prevent those with fake or stolen IDs from traveling via air, you'd see quite a few empty seats on domestic flights.

Two stolen passports? The probability of more than 2 stolen or fraudulent IDs on flights within the USA or anywhere else is very high. The only reason anyone knows about this instance is because of the crash, otherwise, it likely happens quite often.

Terrorists are many things but completely stupid they are not. Why go through and take the risk with a stolen passport or ID when it is easier to obtain valid ones? While it might end up as being a contributing factor in this case this isn't an isolated situation in air travel.

I don't see any information that stolen passports are a factor in most air disasters that involved terrorists.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:43 AM

491 posts, read 237,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
You missed one:

The pilots are in on it, along with the 4 unidentified passengers. They got to cruising altitude then turned off all communications equipment including the altitude reporting equipment. Made a "u" turn then descended to below radar altitude (this is why there is no distress call), and with almost full tanks flew to a remote island airport several thousand miles away. The 4 unidentified passengers job was to keep the other passengers and the flight attendants under control while they fly away. The timing of the flight would be perfect for this. The entire flight is at night and on a Friday when most serious news stories are poorly reported.

I just heard that the authorities are researching the pilots back grounds because it's looking more and more like an inside job. The Co-pilot is only 27 yoa with only 2800 hours and had just transitioned to the 777 (his first jumbo size air frame).

After 9-11, it was discovered that terrorist wanted to steal an airliner and then fill it full of explosives or nuclear and then fly it into some major city.
That's a pretty scary thought. Although if it means all the passengers are alive and have been offloaded and are just being held in a remote island airport somewhere, I like the idea. It's possible that no cell phone calls were made because not only the remoteness but the passengers were unaware the flight was changing direction. I thought though that the plane only had about 7 hours of fuel. Was that its maximum distance? If they were flying low, or in areas where radar couldn't reach (how would they know this?) I would imagine someone in a boat or overland would have noticed a plane that big flying where it normally doesn't. Especially if it were flying low. That said, if they can or cannot refuel the plane, what would be the eventual target?

Old 03-09-2014, 12:07 PM

12,589 posts, read 7,927,405 times
As far as those passports, this article BBC News - Vietnam probes possible debris from missing Malaysia plane has a few interesting details, including the fact that the 2 passengers bought the tickets at the same time, bought them from China Southern Airlines, were booked on the same onward flight from Beijing to Europe Saturday, and had consecutive ticket numbers. The consecutive numbers sort of makes it too much of a coincidence. Whatever they were up to, and it probably had nothing to do with the plane being missing, it seems they were in it together.

Last edited by fuzzymystic; 03-09-2014 at 12:15 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 12:52 PM

9,929 posts, read 5,145,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
If any of that is true, if U.S. military bases in Thailand were picking up signals and heard an emergency call, why haven't we heard about it aside from that jumbled message that was translated? This happened a couple days ago, I think word would have gotten out by now.

Well, it did get out. How do you think you read about it at all? Maybe it's not on mainstream news in the US, but it certainly got out.

The question is, why is no one asking questions about it? Or are they, and we aren't being told anything?

You know, if the theory of those passports being used, and the speculation that is building based on those stolen passports turns out to be true, it's not a far reach that this particular signal could have, indeed, been received.

Why aren't they talking about it more? I think that, often times, the media knows far more than they let on, that's why. Not just in this case, but in many cases. Not just US media, all media.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Okay, I'm going to try this again. Earlier, a link was provided:

From your link:

So there was an emergency call? Is that what I'm reading? I understand that the page was translated, hence why I'm asking.
I only provided the link (meaning I am the messenger) and I don't know anything further. Right now the link is not working. But I can tell you that it is possible that the airplane's ELT was activated and then the plane crashed into the water and then somehow it stopped. Another possibility is that one of pilots punched into their computer the 7700 code which means there is a problem with the plane. (There is also a code 7500 meaning hijacking or 7600 code which means no radios are working.) If there was a live emergency call was before or after the plane did a U-turn?

Old 03-09-2014, 01:19 PM

741 posts, read 385,835 times
If we're not going to rule out terrorism, then we also shouldn't rule out the fact that these guys with the stolen passports might have been trying to immigrate to Europe illegally. They did have forwarding tickets to two separate countries in Europe. Also, if they were in Thailand first, it's very possible they bought the passports on the black market. I've been to Bangkok several time and you can buy anything there.

But then again, we don't know. In my heart, I hope it was just a mechanical failure. That way the pilots won't be directly blamed and they can keep their reputations, Muslims won't get singled out, and the rest of us won't have to endure full body searches the next time we fly through KLIA. But then again, I could be wrong. I'll wait for the results.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:58 PM

9,929 posts, read 5,145,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I only provided the link (meaning I am the messenger) and I don't know anything further. Right now the link is not working. But I can tell you that it is possible that the airplane's ELT was activated and then the plane crashed into the water and then somehow it stopped. Another possibility is that one of pilots punched into their computer the 7700 code which means there is a problem with the plane. (There is also a code 7500 meaning hijacking or 7600 code which means no radios are working.) If there was a live emergency call was before or after the plane did a U-turn?
Yeah, I understand you were simply sharing, I was just trying to get some clarification about what I read. I find it interesting that the link no longer works. When I put up that second post about it, it did work. Strange.

Thanks for the info about the codes, I'm clearly not a pilot so it's interesting to learn those things.

Anyway, I'm just like everyone else, wondering what the heck actually happened, but it struck me as odd when I opened your link the first time and saw that paragraph in there, yet no one was talking about it. Where did they get that info from? Why would they report it? Why would no one else mention it?

I know you don't have those answers, I'm simply questioning out loud. It all seems very odd.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:04 PM

The search for flight 370 goes on|Top News|chinadaily.com.cn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation