U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-22-2014, 06:12 PM

2,810 posts, read 1,449,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Besides, the plane was reprogrammed to turn BEFORE the "good night". They would only do that if there was a problem, yet they failed to mention anything like that with the "good night".
Any cautious person will be prepared for an emergency.

Last edited by mag32gie; 03-22-2014 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 06:19 PM

5,279 posts, read 5,708,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Any cautious person will be prepared for an emergency. Especially a person responsible for the lives of others. They would have their emergency plan laid out way before the emergency happened.
Very true but the pilots of Helios 522 and the Payne Stewart plane were prepared for emergencies too, but castrophic events led to "zombie" planes full of dead people until both ran out of fuel and fell to the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
They should be looking on land for this plane. The ELTs (Emergency Locator Transmitters) would activate upon impact with salt water, and as far as I know, this hasn't happened.
CNN has explained that. You have to be within about 2 miles (????) etc. to hear the ELT.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:28 PM

6,030 posts, read 4,706,289 times
Quote:
They should be looking on land for this plane. The ELTs (Emergency Locator Transmitters) would activate upon impact with salt water, and as far as I know, this hasn't happened. Of course, if it crash landed on land, then it would have also sent out the satellite signal, so the mystery continues... Must have been a soft landing either way.
The ELT would trigger upon impact with water, true. But then it would go down with the plane. Under water, the ELT radio signal is useless (radio waves are absorbed by water). The FDR and CVR emit a sonar pinger, which can be detected from a few miles away under water.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:53 PM

2,097 posts, read 695,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
The ELT would trigger upon impact with water, true. But then it would go down with the plane. Under water, the ELT radio signal is useless (radio waves are absorbed by water). The FDR and CVR emit a sonar pinger, which can be detected from a few miles away under water.
Wouldn't the Australians have been able to see the plane on radar?

Jindalee Operational Radar Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-22-2014, 07:57 PM

12,758 posts, read 8,252,221 times
Why isn't there a ship on the way that has helicopters on it? They keep talking about how long it takes to fly to the search site and back, and how it only gives them a small window of time for searching. If there were a ship on site, they could do a lot more looking.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:12 PM

515 posts, read 259,488 times
Quote:
Wouldn't the Australians have been able to see the plane on radar?

Jindalee Operational Radar Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I had no idea that the Aussies had such extensive radar. I suppose it's possible the plane managed to stay just west of it. I'd like to see a more definitive radar map superimposed over the possible flight of the plane. (They say the debris are 1,500 mi offshore - [here: -43.976111, 90.960278] - it's southwest of the southwestern tip of Australia). I'm guessing, though, that if the Aussies had caught it on radar they would have said so.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:39 PM

730 posts, read 403,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
I'm guessing, though, that if the Aussies had caught it on radar they would have said so.
I think a big part of the problem in this whole thing is that various countries do not want to share their radar data or reveal any facts about radar capabilities. I am wondering why we have not heard a peep from Indonesia - 370 flew either right over it or very near it.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:47 PM

525 posts, read 492,872 times
Oh my god! I just heard two CNN commentators playing an example of the "ping" given off by the plane to a satellite or other sensor. They were both shocked by the fact that it wasn't very loud. It was coming off a scope of some kind, together with the squiggle (highly technical term) shown on the scope with each ping. They commented on how such a low volume sound had to compete with the sounds of ocean animals and such; and even how the seagulls and other birds in the air making sounds would make it difficult to hear. I kid you not. Where do they find these people that don't understand that it is an electronic signal? Maybe just turn up the volume knob?

Old 03-22-2014, 08:56 PM

6,945 posts, read 5,106,638 times
Add a little detail. "good night" was the expression in Homeland last season to signal take the bad guys out.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:35 PM

2,764 posts, read 2,388,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
If someone actually saw the plane, any plane in the water it has been checked out. Sure, the investigation has stumbled but there is no way something like that gets reported and doesn't get checked out by now.

Doesn't jive.

People still see Elvis too.
I don't know, we are talking about a foreign country. We can't assume too much about how they operate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation