Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:04 PM

89 posts, read 116,153 times

Advertisements

I remember the T-38 I crashed back in 1985.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 10:08 PM

89 posts, read 116,153 times
If you want to talk about airliner crashes, the worst disaster was back in 1977 when a fully loaded KLM B747 crashed into a Pan Am B747 , killing 585 people at Tenerife. Amazingly there were survivors of that runway accident.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:11 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,306 times
Vividly remember a crash most people never heard about. In 1968 of the shore of Okinawa VP6 lost an aircraft and aircrew 10. I had just returned from R&R in Hong Kong with that crew. We actually overstayed our time due to bad weather and those of us that still had some cash lent it to those that had spent everything. I had lent some ( I think $10 each) to 2 of the aircrew enlisteds. Those two survived and paid me back on payday. Rest of enlisted perished. Made me wish I had had more money to lend. 2 officers also survived. That's 4 of 15. But there were survivors and it did change existing tactics.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:00 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Neighbors were on: Air Canada Flight 621 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-11-2014, 12:36 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
... the only survivor was one small child...

Along those lines, the following crash sticks in my mind because the only survivor was a teenaged kid whose dad died in the crash.

Galaxy Airlines Flight 203 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, ever since I read the flight recording, this one, because of the professionalism of the crew. They somehow manage to momentarily regain control after more or less falling out of the sky. They have to know they are completely hosed, yet they keep trying increasingly improbable fixes all the way to the end, including attempting to fly upside down. The last words before plunging into the ocean, rather than panicked profanity or a frantic prayer, were simply "Here we go." They were still on the clock, actively trying to solve the problem, until literally the last second of their lives.

Alaska Airlines Flight 261 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Big G; 03-11-2014 at 01:21 AM..

Old 03-11-2014, 05:10 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xafpilot View Post
I remember the T-38 I crashed back in 1985.
That's pretty significant. What base? (Vance for UPT here.)

One crash I saw happen was at the inagural Phoenix 500 Air Races at the former Williams AFB. A Corsair suffered an inflight fire and the pilot bailed out successfully. He was injured but OK, but the old warbird was lost.

Also watched two F-16s impact in two separate events due to flameouts (Luke AFB), all personnel ejected. The crashes don't burn for hours like in the movoes, there was just a big fireball and then nothing but a black smear on the desert.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:43 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
Air Florida crash documentary for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpXaNq2TNjI
Warning, these videos are addicting. I'm not responsible if you stay up until 2am watching them.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:14 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
I remember Lockerbie because I was traveling from Venezuela to the US a few days after it happened. The line for security was insane, they were opening up EVERYONE's suitcases and rifling through everything, one person at a time.

I was on a plane once that almost crashed. It was coming in to land at Reagan International airport in Washington, DC. At the last minute landing was aborted, and the plane flew up sharply and to the left. Once we were back in the air the pilot said we were being buffeted by cross winds, and that he had to abort the landing at the last minute. Needless to say, you could hear a pin drop on that plane until we landed. When we did land, everyone exploded into claps and cheers. It was a crazy moment I will never forget.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:18 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
That's pretty significant. What base? (Vance for UPT here.)

One crash I saw happen was at the inagural Phoenix 500 Air Races at the former Williams AFB. A Corsair suffered an inflight fire and the pilot bailed out successfully. He was injured but OK, but the old warbird was lost.

Also watched two F-16s impact in two separate events due to flameouts (Luke AFB), all personnel ejected. The crashes don't burn for hours like in the movoes, there was just a big fireball and then nothing but a black smear on the desert.
Just thought of another one, when the entire Thunderbirds team augered in in a line in early 1982. I was in Flight School at Pensacola when that happened.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:31 PM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I was on a plane once that almost crashed. It was coming in to land at Reagan International airport in Washington, DC. At the last minute landing was aborted, and the plane flew up sharply and to the left. Once we were back in the air the pilot said we were being buffeted by cross winds, and that he had to abort the landing at the last minute. Needless to say, you could hear a pin drop on that plane until we landed. When we did land, everyone exploded into claps and cheers. It was a crazy moment I will never forget.
I've only been in one aborted landing and it was horrifying. The plane had been delayed close to 12 hours so we were exhausted coming down over Atlanta at about 2AM. I could see the runway beneath us when we pitched up and violently turned. When we were up in the air again, the pilot said that we had come down out of the cloud cover to a plane in the runway. How does that even happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation