Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 04:56 PM

558 posts, read 1,113,759 times

Advertisements

I'll keep it short and sweet. Has anyone flown with Spirit Airlines? The tickets are really cheap, about half the cost as when I fly United, Delta, etc.
So, what's the catch? Are they safe? Are the mechanics up to par with the bigger airlines?
Any info/input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 05:00 PM

43,303 posts, read 43,957,600 times
I flew Spirit Airlines once a long time ago and there was no problem with safety at that time.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:05 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,898,346 times
Just watch out Spirit will Nickle and dime you up to what the other wind up costing you for there fare.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:31 PM

20,849 posts, read 19,322,755 times
They are safe. Their seats are cheap because:
  • They cram more seats into their planes than the other airlines. If you are tall, either pay for a "big front seat" (known as "first class" at other airlines) or choose an exit row.
  • They charge for bags and onboard refreshments. This keeps the actual "ticket" price low.
  • They pay their employees less than other airlines. They contract out a lot of the work: cleaning planes, baggage loading, etc.
  • They spend little on advertising, relying more on negative publicity: charging for everything, pissing off the government, double-entendre website ads, etc.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:50 PM

6,389 posts, read 6,922,212 times
I've flown them 3 out of the last 4 times I've taken a trip. Most of our hockey team flew them to Vegas twice from Minneapolis and we all checked our hockey bags as normal bags, just paid the normal price, didn't have to pay extra. They talked about charging for carry ons at gate, but I haven't had to pay for my large backpack. We all saved a decent amount of $ using them over Delta, Suncountry, etc...

Old 04-28-2014, 06:03 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,833,761 times
If you have little or no luggage, then their prices are much better, because of the baggage fees for carry ons and checked baggage. Plus they have a very few flights on some routes. I looked into them for when my son is flying home and back out, (Phx to Dallas) and there was only one flight per day, leaving at 1 AM and arriving at 5 AM and the return flight was at 11 PM. I guess if you only have say $140 to spend on travel with no bags, it is not a bad deal. My son's ticket would be $140+ 35 for carry on + 30 for a checked bag each way for a total of $270. Same flight (days) on Southwest is $189 right now round trip with 2 free checked bags.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:06 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,833,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I've flown them 3 out of the last 4 times I've taken a trip. Most of our hockey team flew them to Vegas twice from Minneapolis and we all checked our hockey bags as normal bags, just paid the normal price, didn't have to pay extra. They talked about charging for carry ons at gate, but I haven't had to pay for my large backpack. We all saved a decent amount of $ using them over Delta, Suncountry, etc...
I would not try that if I was using them. Their gate check price per carry on bag or luggage is $100 per bag, per flight!

Old 04-29-2014, 04:16 AM

558 posts, read 1,113,759 times
Thanks for all your replies. I have dug a little deeper as well to find they charge EACH WAY for baggage. You do get one free carry-on like a backpack or purse but they charge for everything else.
My main concern is if maybe since they pay their workers less that the mechanics are not the best around?

Old 04-29-2014, 05:03 AM

12,999 posts, read 18,791,353 times
Flew them once. They charge for everything, even carry on bags, coffee on board, printing boarding passes. A personal item that can fit under the seat is free. You really have to figure those in to compare fares.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 AM

20,849 posts, read 19,322,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
My main concern is if maybe since they pay their workers less that the mechanics are not the best around?
Mechanics have to follow a set protocol for working on planes. There is no allowable variation between mechanics. If part A is not working, the mechanic goes to the maintenance manual and copies the procedure for fixing part A, goes out to the plane, completes task 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,etc. All their work has to be documented (i.e. they are held fully responsible for it), all of it is monitored by headquarters, and no mechanic would risk his job, career, life, and the life of hundreds by cutting corners. There is no incentive for them to save the company money by doing poor work.

If they had shoddy maintenance, I don't think they would have made it this far (20 years) without an accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation