Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2014, 06:37 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times

Advertisements

In the news tonight, happened on March 22.

Airline flight had close call with drone in March

Sooner or later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 08:47 PM

24,298 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Sensationalistic reporting. An F-4 drone? They got 'em, at Tyndall AFB in Florida, and they're used for active shoot-downs, under VERY controlled conditions with chase aircraft in restricted airspace. This sounds like a scale model RC aircraft, not a drone. They've been flying for years, and have been a hazard for a long time. (I almost hit one myself in an A-10 in the mid 80s.) Sound like an irresponsible RC pilot to me, or maybe an RC that got away from the operator.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:28 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
We had a very close call with a model rocket departing out of IAH one day. Certainly gets your attention, but there isn't much we could have done to avoid it had we needed to. I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been an accident caused by these hobby craft.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:35 AM

24,298 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
We had a very close call with a model rocket departing out of IAH one day. Certainly gets your attention, but there isn't much we could have done to avoid it had we needed to. I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been an accident caused by these hobby craft.
There have been several airshows where demonstrations of RC aircraft have gone awry, with the aircraft crashing into the crowd, in some cases causing fatalities. (Yes, it happens with manned aircraft, too.)

While flying into Hill AFB in Utah as part of a delivery to the depot in the F-16, I did hit something foreign. Upon landing the depot marshaller found a green toy balloon entangled in my left main landing gear. Turns out a school in Ogden had one of those mass helium balloon launches with messages to see where they'd go, and it was about two miles northwest of Hill. Sucking it down the intake probably wouldn't have caused much damage, if any, to the engine, but it makes the case that launching anything into the sky without considering the consequences is irresponsible. Regrettably, some people believe the onus is exclusively on the manned aircraft to see-and-avoid and that the RC aircraft operator has no real responsibility, as in the first part of this article where the RC pilot blames the Pitts:

VIDEO: Crash Of RC Plane Into Real One Sparks Dogfight Over Air Rights

Before I retired from the USAF I was activley involved in re-writing doctrine for airspace control, espcially in light of the proliferation of small, handheld RPAs. It's busy airspace below 1000 AGL, and it's only time before someone smacks a Raven or BATMAV.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:53 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Ahhhh... just think... in the "good 'ol days" we only had to worry about birds.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:38 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
The skys are getting more crowded and there will be more incidents, not less. Better get used to it. Anyone can buy one and thinking rules and regulations are going to stop this is wishful thinking.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:26 PM

19 posts, read 20,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The skys are getting more crowded and there will be more incidents, not less. Better get used to it. Anyone can buy one and thinking rules and regulations are going to stop this is wishful thinking.
That is the truth. Regs will do nothing and it will get interesting in a bad way the cheaper the technology gets.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:36 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
No TCAS on drones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation