Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 08:38 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times

Advertisements

Kids under a certain age are not allowed, supposedly, in first class. My husband works for united and we fly non rev allot. Once when our son was 2 we were offered seats in 1st class. The gate agent felt really bad for us sense we had been hanging around the airport all day trying to get home. I was so worried my son was going to act up but luckily he fell asleep and I was drinking wine and my husband was sitting in the jump seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 08:42 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
My wife was on a business flight and had a 5-year-old, unaccompanied child seated next to her, in the middle seat. For some reason--even though they knew it--the flight crew expected her to take care of this unaccompanied child the whole flight. "what's this?", "what's that?", "Help me with my drink", "Can you help me go to the bathroom?". Drove her absolutely nuts that a child that young would be sent by themselves, much less that "since she was a woman", that my wife was expected to "babysit" the entire flight. . .
And DON'T for a minute, give me crap about "well, parents divorce. . . parents can't always accompany their child. . . ", etc. BULLshiite. If you can't take care of EVERY aspect of your child's life and are assured of it before you have one, then don't procreate.

It doesn't TAKE a village, but some--or most parents, these days--insist that the village has no choice but to raise their kids.

That said, I was on two legs of a flight with a screaming baby and her mother. The mother was absolutely beside herself being apologetic and trying to keep the baby quiet. Honestly, I think if she could, she would have opened the door and jumped out. She was that distraught about disturbing the rest of the passengers. I finally went back and asked if I could just hold and sit with her baby while she took a while to relax. She burst into tears and said "thank you. . . so much". I held the baby in my arms and it quit crying and went to sleep. The mother was finally able to relax enough to get up and use the restroom--for a good long while. The baby just needed someone different to hold her, who was not distraught and crying and shaking from the stress. I held that baby for over two hours and she slept like an angel until we landed--and so did the mother. All four of the flight attendants--three women and a man--came over and gave me a kiss on the cheek when we landed.

So, I've seen both sides of it. Next time you're on a plane with a crying baby and a distraught mother or father, maybe offer to help them for a while if you can. It might make all the difference. . . you just never know. . .
Great story. What people seem to forget is, when you have an agitated baby, eventually the parent trying to soothe the baby gets agitated too. So the baby never really calms down. That was a wonderful thing you did for that mom.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:52 PM

Yes adam_aj, that was really awesome of you. Very inspiring.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:52 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
"Kids" aren't a problem, generally speaking. It's infants and toddlers, but it's not as if nature intended them to be confined and silenced for hours at a time.

One infant utterly ruined a flight from Hong Kong to Sydney. It screamed for the whole 10.5 hour overnight flight, barring a break for dinner and breakfast. By the end of the flight, one could tell the kids voice was hoarse and worn out, but still it screamed. I was farther up front in premium economy, and this kid's voice managed to carry from economy.

That is bad parenting.
You can't be serious.. can you?

A screaming/crying infant is screaming or crying because they are in pain (ear pressure issues, common in infants and children!), not because they are bored or whatever other insane reason you think they are crying .

People frighten me.

Honestly though, when my youngest was 1 and a half, we had to fly to Florida...and I was a little paranoid about the ear pain so gave her baby tylenol before we even took off. She did fine. So that was my workaround for it. Drug them before they even get on the flight (just a mild painkiller) and bring stuff to suck on (sippy cups, bottles, lollipops, etc). And ALWAYS a small bag of new, cheap toys.

I agree with most of the posters, the kid kicking the seat is way more annoying then the crying baby.

And IMO, seats should not recline. It just causes way too many issues.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:07 PM

981 posts, read 898,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Our flight to MCO leaves newark at 5pm which is 10pm my time i'm actually really worried that our flight has loads of children!

I will not be in the mood having got up at 5am. Do most of the flights have crying children?
YES THEY DO. bring the ear plugs, head phones and a stack of drinks coupons.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
For those of you who hate having noisy kids around you, fly 1st class.
this is a ridiculous suggestion. most people who fly frequently enough to have a right to complain about crying children are those traveling on business ( honestly other infrequent vacation travelers really just need to deal with it) and cant expense a first class ticket. and no, upgrades are few and far between these days even for a million miler. i fly about every other week and while i love kids i have to be honest there are more than a few times i almost cried myself when faced with three or more crying children, especially now with workloads so intense that my company expects us to actually get real work done on the plane. if the parent is genuinely trying to comfort the child or disciplines them to stop truly bad behavior, i can deal with it a lot easier. but i see at least half the parents doing nothing at all. my favorite parent move is when they turn on the cartoon or video game WITHOUT HEADPHONES and then act smug like they are a great plane parent. SERIOUSLY PEOPLE?!? the parents are probably a much bigger problem than the children. to the lady worried about bringing her chatty four year old i say, bring him on my flight! i would love the distraction from yet another horrid presentation or spreadsheet. he sounds adorable...

Old 05-20-2014, 10:10 PM

I think most parents do their best to make their child happy. Maybe other passengers don't see that but they really do.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I think most parents do their best to make their child happy. Maybe other passengers don't see that but they really do.
yes by turning on the cartoons and video games without the headphones

Old 05-21-2014, 03:34 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
For those of you who hate having noisy kids around you, fly 1st class.
And everyone can afford that. Yea..

Old 05-21-2014, 04:42 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Great story. What people seem to forget is, when you have an agitated baby, eventually the parent trying to soothe the baby gets agitated too. So the baby never really calms down. That was a wonderful thing you did for that mom.
This happened to one of my friends. They couldn't calm their little boy down, they were all exhausted, fortunately a lady asked them to carry the baby for an instant, and he stopped crying immediately. After that, he slept the whole flight in his moms arms. Just a few minutes with that lady were enough!

Last edited by Sudcaro; 05-21-2014 at 05:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation