Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 10:00 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,020 times

Advertisements

I live in Alaska and most of our flights are to Florida to visit family. We have two small kids. Talk about a long travel day! Anyways, our kids are pretty well behaved. We book 3 seats next to each other and one seat across the aisle. That way they really don't bother anyone (too much ) , and we take shifts on who gets the seat to their self! I would pay $100's of dollars extra if there was a little section in the back without seats that kids could run around in for a while.

We try to check them in the baggage section, but the ticket agent usually frowns upon that due to silly things like "freezing temperatures" and "shifting luggage".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 10:16 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I live in Alaska and most of our flights are to Florida to visit family. We have two small kids. Talk about a long travel day! Anyways, our kids are pretty well behaved. We book 3 seats next to each other and one seat across the aisle. That way they really don't bother anyone (too much ) , and we take shifts on who gets the seat to their self! I would pay $100's of dollars extra if there was a little section in the back without seats that kids could run around in for a while.

We try to check them in the baggage section, but the ticket agent usually frowns upon that due to silly things like "freezing temperatures" and "shifting luggage".
Funny they don't have a problem with animals being down there.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:46 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,332,505 times
Parents with kids to those without: "You have to tolerate us. We don't have to tolerate you".

It's obvious that that's the prevailing, ruling attitude. Like the folks trying to keep gay marriage illegal. The Conservatives need to come to grips with reality. They lost the culture war. It's over.

Just like the "kids or no kids" war. The ones who argue for child free flights/restaurants/whatever.

They lost too.

And this is being spoken by someone who never had kids and really isn't all that crazy about them either. I'm just admitting reality.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:19 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Funny they don't have a problem with animals being down there.
Not sure, but I think there is a small section down there that's climate controlled for animals. But I think that person was only kidding about putting her kids down there. Hopfully.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:50 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Parents with kids to those without: "You have to tolerate us. We don't have to tolerate you".

It's obvious that that's the prevailing, ruling attitude. Like the folks trying to keep gay marriage illegal. The Conservatives need to come to grips with reality. They lost the culture war. It's over.

Just like the "kids or no kids" war. The ones who argue for child free flights/restaurants/whatever.

They lost too.

And this is being spoken by someone who never had kids and really isn't all that crazy about them either. I'm just admitting reality.
Yep. That's what headphones and Xanax is for. And I use a liberal quantity of both when I fly.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:08 AM

589 posts, read 695,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
So you're saying they'd perfer we 'all' suffer because they can't control their own kids?
Yes. There's been more than a few news stories, some even posted here, about parents getting up in arms because someone had the gall to tell them to shut up their kids in a restaurant, movie, or store.

A lot of bad parents try to zone out to forget they even have kids. You confronting them about their kids making a scene only brings them back to a reality they don't want. While I'd love a kid-free zone just about everywhere, I know it would never happen.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:22 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Really ?! You should have charged them. I've heard too many stories like this and saw a lot when I worked retail. Kids tearing around destroying merchandise, the parents pretending they don't see it, and then acting all a fronted when confronted by management. Parents today think they are above reproach. I would have politely asked for the cost (doesn't matter how much they cost, it's the point) of the glasses, and if the parents balked, I would have called a FA and asked them to deal with passengers that think it's ok to break other people's things and let them deal with it.
This has more to do with what category of people is doing all the breeding than parents in general.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:25 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post

Large dog crates might work. And they pressurize and heat the baggage compartment when they're shipping live animals.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:48 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,393,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I don't know about the Xanax, but I hear Benadryl works great on the kids. Puts 'em out and quiets 'em down. Seriously, I'd take the Xanax for myself and pass out the Benadryl to all the kids.

Probably not, but if they were cooped up with all those kids and no way to get out, they'd understand what the rest of us go through. I understand it's tough to bring a kid on a flight, but I'm seeing a lot of parents here saying their kid only makes a little fuss. I've seen those "little fusses" and as a parent, you're used to tuning them out. The rest of us aren't and that's the fuss most of the rest of us don't want to put up with.

And to be honest, I'd love to see a parent whose kid is kicking the seat in front of him non-stop have his own seat kicked non-stop by the kid behind him.
Please don't recommend Benadryl - for one, it doesn't always work as a sedative on children. Often it has the opposite effect making them hyperactive. And children have been overdosed and died.

Once on a flight back from Hawaii, my daughter was given some banana at a hotel buffet a hour or so before our flight . My friend had taken her down while I was doing some last packing up. She (my daughter) isn't "allergic" but has a stomach intolerance to banana. 20 mins into a 6 hour flight - she got violently ill. My friend was on a different flight so I didn't find out about the banana muffin until the next day. It so scary having a child that sick on a flight over the ocean - I can't even imagine giving my child a dose of Benadryl on a flight esp not knowing how they would react.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:48 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,494,472 times
Just finished our first trip with our 9 month old and he was amazing. Gave him a bottle on the way up and he passed out then fell asleep for the last hour down. Made friends with a few people around him and was pretty much as perfect as you can get for an infant on a flight to the West Coast and back. He did have his moments with a quick whine but that was more because he was fighting sleep or just wanted to move around. Both times the person next to us and those around commented on how well he did which made us feel pretty good.

I get not all children are like this but there is definitely prep that can go into taking a flight with a child like feeding, naps, etc. all play a role. Also we flew Jet Blue which has not after two trips (Disney and SF) is the only airline I will fly going forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation