Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 02:14 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,344,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Okay, let's be fair, even if a car collides with another car (or a tree/pole) you're still much more likely to survive that than than being in a falling plane.
But you are far, far more likely to be in a car collision. Thousands of times more likely, as it happens. This is one of those areas where so-called "common sense" can be terribly wrong and lead your thinking astray.

By any any statistical measure you can think of, flying in a commercial airliner is vastly safer than driving in a car. It's safer per mile traveled. It's safer per hour traveled. It's safer over the same distance. It's safer over the same time frame.

Quote:
And just because there are more car crashes it's not fair to say that driving is not as safe. We drive cars everyday. Nearly everyone drives a car, everyday - The comparison isn't fair. So of course we are more likely to get involved in a car crash. BUT, again, an automobile crash is still much more survivable than being in a plane crash.
Again, illogical thinking deceives you. You have to look at all the facts. Read back through this thread for factual information that disproves what you are saying.

Quote:
Think of it this way; we're more likely to be bitten by a poisonous spider than be struck by lightning. People usually die when they're hit by lightning. But we rarely die with spider bites, which are much more common. Now should we say that a lightning strike is less riskier than a spider bite just because it's a much less common occurrence?
This is one of the ways you can lead yourself into erroneous thinking, by employing false analogies. What it's really like is that if you drive across country in a car vs. flying, your chances of being killed in a car crash are higher than your chances of dying in a plane crash. Or as I like to tell people, the most dangerous part of a cross country flight is the drive to the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 07:27 AM

14,612 posts, read 17,413,759 times
[quote=OpenD;36402162]But you are far, far more likely to be in a car collision. Thousands of times more likely, as it happens. /QUOTE]

If you ever do risk analysis, you see there are hundreds of times the public applies this kind of thought process to events. If SOMETHING HAPPENS, then THE CONSEQUENCES ARE TERRIBLE.

Since the "SOMETHING HAPPENS" is possible, people fixate on that scenario.

This is why government is always inefficient. I had an auditor spend $500 to call me in the Indian Ocean because he felt (wrongly) that I had made a $10 error on a parking charge.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:07 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,492,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Well, the poor MH370 and MH17 victims wouldn't agree with ya. And they've probably been in cars everyday of their lives without any major car incidents (well, right until their ill-fated flights).

because you said this I have to say this -

The number of victims on those two flights can be reached quickly if you sum up the numbers of people dying in auto crashes. I mean I keep hearing fatal auto crashes near me almost every week. And needless to say that is a very very small part of the world.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:58 PM

21,704 posts, read 24,935,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Although It may be, what's the likelihood of you surving a plane crash vs car crash. I dont know about you but I'd MUCH rather be on the ground in the event of engine or mechanical failure rather than 30,000 feet in the air over the mid atlantic.

Statistically speaking, yes air travel is safer than traveling by car, but what's the survival rate regarding accidents for both modes of transportation?
Who cares? Plane ravel is safer than traveling by car.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:24 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,537,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Although It may be, what's the likelihood of you surving a plane crash vs car crash. I dont know about you but I'd MUCH rather be on the ground in the event of engine or mechanical failure rather than 30,000 feet in the air over the mid atlantic.

Statistically speaking, yes air travel is safer than traveling by car, but what's the survival rate regarding accidents for both modes of transportation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Who cares? Plane ravel is safer than traveling by car.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:29 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,205,033 times
People feel safer in a car because they have the sense that they are in control.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:49 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,344,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
People feel safer in a car because they have the sense that they are in control.
Yes, of course they, but it's an illusion, not a reality. Obviously it is a powerful illusion, because it overwhelms people's ability to think straight, but it's still no more than an illusion.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:09 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,205,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yes, of course they, but it's an illusion, not a reality. Obviously it is a powerful illusion, because it overwhelms people's ability to think straight, but it's still no more than an illusion.
Right.

That is why I said "sense."

Old 09-11-2014, 05:14 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,240,006 times
People feel safer on the ground in a car
But are not
They feel safer with people they know
But are not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation