Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2014, 01:12 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times

Advertisements

.......because of the effect on departing passengers whose plane is assigned to Runway "20R' for take-off

The single primary Runway (20R) is 5701 feet long...one of the shortest of any major A.P. in the U.S. This length plus the noise restrictions ordinance, cause some first-time passengers to experience a somewhat "different "take-off". Certain planes up to the size of a 757 require that the engines be "run-up" to almost "full-power" (approx 97%) before the Brakes are released. In many instances a VERY (and I mean VERY) steep "climb-angle" is also incorporated into the take-off. It literally pins you to your seat back. This allows the pilot to reduce the engine power at approx 500 to 700 feet of elevation so as to reduce the Noise Level as the plane goes over the city of Newport Beach. Several years ago I was in a "fully loaded" DC-9 that went thru this type of take-off and the guy next to me just about "passed-out".

As a comparison, San Diego's primary runway is 9401 feet long..........Both John Wayne (aka Orange County) and San Diego A.P. have just a single primary runway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 01:25 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
SJC's 30 R runway was pretty short too back in the 70's. PSA jocks used to get sent over to it at times. Those guys wore the paint off the numbers.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:14 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
.......because of the effect on departing passengers whose plane is assigned to Runway "20R' for take-off

The single primary Runway (20R) is 5701 feet long...one of the shortest of any major A.P. in the U.S. This length plus the noise restrictions ordinance, cause some first-time passengers to experience a somewhat "different "take-off". Certain planes up to the size of a 757 require that the engines be "run-up" to almost "full-power" (approx 97%) before the Brakes are released. In many instances a VERY (and I mean VERY) steep "climb-angle" is also incorporated into the take-off. It literally pins you to your seat back. This allows the pilot to reduce the engine power at approx 500 to 700 feet of elevation so as to reduce the Noise Level as the plane goes over the city of Newport Beach. Several years ago I was in a "fully loaded" DC-9 that went thru this type of take-off and the guy next to me just about "passed-out".

As a comparison, San Diego's primary runway is 9401 feet long..........Both John Wayne (aka Orange County) and San Diego A.P. have just a single primary runway.

........Sorry, should have mentioned the A.P. I was talking about at the beginning of the above quoted post was:..John Wayne (aka Orange County, CA A.P.)...........I'll have a bettter day tomorrow

Old 11-26-2014, 07:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I frankly like the smaller airports.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:26 PM

21,119 posts, read 19,707,707 times
We have a lot of old airports with short runways that were built in the early days of aviation that the FAA would never allow to be built today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation