Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 08:14 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,215,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Exactly!

There were on cellphones, tablets, laptops, GPS and most other small electronic devices that passengers carry with them on airplanes back in 1968.

In any case, I can't imagine there won't be a public outcry if such an extreme measure is passed. And what about personal items like ladies' handbags, babies' diaper bags, etc.?
Cellphones, laptops, GPS and such did not exist in 68.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 11:03 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Seriously, the terrorists have won the war. They have managed to turn air travel into a nightmare and ruin our economy with these useless wars that cost billions. Please bring back the good old days when all they wanted to do was take us to Cuba.
So true..the good old days..when flying with my friend and her grandma in 1974 and grandma had a HUGE sewing scissors in her carry on.. the security guy barely looked at the machine and pushed it through...keep the line moving folks...

Old 12-06-2014, 11:10 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,177 times
What scares me is the person with NO carry on bag..

Old 12-06-2014, 12:23 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,186,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
. I am in my seventh decade, an unlikely demographic for most terrorists.
Grumpy old folks with a cane could be dangerous.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:53 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
So true..the good old days..when flying with my friend and her grandma in 1974 and grandma had a HUGE sewing scissors in her carry on.. the security guy barely looked at the machine and pushed it through...keep the line moving folks...
I remember going to the airport with my Mom in the 90's. I got out of the car, went to the trunk, and threw my Swiss Army knife in before heading to the terminal. When my Mom asked me about that and I told her that I always do that before walking into a secure facility, her reply was, "Oh, I've never heard of anything so ridiculous."

Well........we aren't laughing now, are we?

Old 12-06-2014, 01:59 PM

610 posts, read 698,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Which good old days are you talking about?

The Middle Eastern types have been hijacking airliners since at least 1968.
Funny that should start 1 year after 1967.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:12 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
Funny that should start 1 year after 1967.
To put it nicely, I would say that is very opinionated.

Essentially, I fail to see how the Six Day War could be a motivational source for hijackings when the 1954 war was not. Further, one must also keep in mind that the War of Attrition was going on during this time.

Basically, terrorist groups against Israel realized about this time that they made more of an impact by seizing airliners than killing Israel soldiers. I believed I once read that Abu Nidal realized this, but I can't find the source, so I can't be sure.

I would not be surprised to look back through history and find some event that enabled people to make the connection between airliners and international attention..............but I doubt it was the Six Day War.

Do you have other information that would say otherwise?

Old 12-06-2014, 02:22 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,323,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
When you see what people try to pass off as "carry-on luggage," it's no wonder this is being considered. I've seen adult men try to get on planes with backpacks far wider than their shoulder span and they expect these pony-sized packages to fit in the overhead compartment. Then the flight is held up while the humongous bags are taken off the plane. It's partially the airline's fault for not stopping them at the gate, but why do people even try to pull that stunt? Now fliers also have to contend with the "comfort pets," baby strollers, etc. It's idiotic.
I think it is time that they rename carry-on baggage to what it REALLY is: drag-on baggage.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:53 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Last few years it was to the US from certain countries. So the restrictions should probably be the similar.

Quote:
Passengers flying into the U.S. are not allowed to bring any carry-on bags into the cabin. The exceptions are medical devices, small purses, laptops, items needed for infant care, musical instruments and diplomatic consular bags.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:56 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
pretty soon airlines will be banning passengers.
There are a few who already do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation