Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 05:29 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times

Advertisements

"You've got to stand for something
Or you're gonna fall for anything
You've gotta stand right up for somethin'
Or you're gonna fall....for anything"

John Mellencamp.

All the coolness and savings in the world won't buy back your soul. You bet i'm serious.

Are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 07:29 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,088,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
"You've got to stand for something
Or you're gonna fall for anything
You've gotta stand right up for somethin'
Or you're gonna fall....for anything"

John Mellencamp.

All the coolness and savings in the world won't buy back your soul. You bet i'm serious.

Are you?
I seriously thought you were joking!

Old 12-30-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
I seriously thought you were joking!
Of course you would do that.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Of course you would do that.
I would?

Old 12-31-2014, 09:21 AM

Not to digress but most people think of themselves first. I think that we each have a responsibility to choose companies based upon our values. Mine tell me that SWA is a draconian and unsafe airline. I encourage others to think it over. It's what I do, so to speak. As I don't know you, I assume that you don't really know the situation. No offense intended.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Not to digress but most people think of themselves first. I think that we each have a responsibility to choose companies based upon our values. Mine tell me that SWA is a draconian and unsafe airline. I encourage others to think it over. It's what I do, so to speak. As I don't know you, I assume that you don't really know the situation. No offense intended.
OK, I'll bite.......

You don't like SWA, and conclude that they are "draconian and unsafe" based on a few incidences where people were taken off the airplane for inappropriate behavior and some FAA fines.

Both of these things occur at EVERY AIRLINE IN THE US.

In spite of all this, SWA still has among the highest customer satisfaction ratings and one of, if not the best, safety record of all the major airlines.

And you assume that I "don't know the situation"?

Old 12-31-2014, 11:50 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,147 times
Understanding that your in the wrong (a change is a change - last minute at that). I'd try giving them another call and being nice, inquiring about upgrades to business select or alist and asking if they could help you out because you were unfamiliar with the process.

To the poster wondering why early check in is important - I use early bird checking to get a window seat. There is more room than being in a middle seat...at least on one side. This allows me to work on my laptop or take a nap slumped in the corner. Middle and aisle seat people have no ability to do this, unless its on the person next to them. I've let more than a few people take naps on my shoulder, but I'm an occasional drooler, so that doesn't work for me!

Old 12-31-2014, 12:41 PM

403 posts, read 557,196 times
I try my best to not fly Southwest, but sometimes my schedule requires me to use them. I will gladly pay more for Delta and pay my $25 for a checked bag than to deal with Southwest. Usually, flying out of IND, Delta isn't that much more expensive either and a lot of times, they are cheaper.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
OK, I'll bite.......

You don't like SWA, and conclude that they are "draconian and unsafe" based on a few incidences where people were taken off the airplane for inappropriate behavior and some FAA fines.

Both of these things occur at EVERY AIRLINE IN THE US.

In spite of all this, SWA still has among the highest customer satisfaction ratings and one of, if not the best, safety record of all the major airlines.

And you assume that I "don't know the situation"?
Not impressed with your rationale. "a few people". SWA is absolutely draconian in it's customer treatment and a google search will reveal this. Here is one such article:

8 passengers dubiously booted off Southwest flights - The Week

Skidding off runways, most recently running into a plane and having their wing clipped. Really? Safe?

Customer satisfaction? We already covered. There are numerous reports of very unhappy people not that it makes a hill of beans. Most people would rather get a low fare than stand up for their fellow passengers who are getting booted off an aircraft for no good reason.

If you want to fly them, by all means, be my guest.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:35 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,470 times
Quote:
Not impressed with your rationale. "a few people". SWA is absolutely draconian in it's customer treatment and a google search will reveal this. Here is one such article:

8 passengers dubiously booted off Southwest flights - The Week

Skidding off runways, most recently running into a plane and having their wing clipped. Really? Safe?

Customer satisfaction? We already covered. There are numerous reports of very unhappy people not that it makes a hill of beans. Most people would rather get a low fare than stand up for their fellow passengers who are getting booted off an aircraft for no good reason.

If you want to fly them, by all means, be my guest.
I am scared to death of flying, and prefer Southwest. If I thought there was a .00001% better safety rating at another airline, I would choose them. Southwest has historically been one of the more profitable airlines, which results in higher compensation, and hopefully happier employees.

I usually find that people either love or hate the SW system. Personally I am neither. I slightly prefer their leather seats, and I know that I am getting on a 737.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation