Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 02:06 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,563,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
those of us in Asia have long been aware that it is the Next Big Terrorist Hotspot.

Malaysia has extreme Islamists. A lot of them.
this is exactly what one of my Malaysian based colleague was saying this morning. Apparently isis is making its presence big time there. For all you know, it could very well be a hijack. Though, usually these terrorists are loud mouths and would have claimed responsibility by now, if its indeed them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 02:17 PM

703 posts, read 865,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
On the CBS Morning Show it was reported that there are reports of debris and oil slicks in the general area where the plane disappeared but nothing has been confirmed yet.
Apparently, they didn't find anything. Just like MH370... An oil slick detected, but unrelated

Old 12-29-2014, 02:53 PM

43,303 posts, read 43,962,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
Apparently, they didn't find anything. Just like MH370... An oil slick detected, but unrelated
I read that it is possible but unlikely that it is related.

BBC News - AirAsia QZ8501: Indonesia plane 'at bottom of sea'

Old 12-29-2014, 04:18 PM

703 posts, read 865,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I read that it is possible but unlikely that it is related.

BBC News - AirAsia QZ8501: Indonesia plane 'at bottom of sea'
It is probably at the bottom of the sea, and that sea is nothing similar to the one MH370 likely landed in.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:30 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,044,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
It is probably at the bottom of the sea, and that sea is nothing similar to the one MH370 likely landed in.
The search didn't shift to the Indian Ocean until over a week had passed. The initial search area was the South China Sea and then expanded to the Andaman Sea.

Authorities can assume all they want about where it likely crashed but, like MH370, they don't have a shred of physical evidence to back it up. While the safe bet is to assume it went down quickly, we don't know for a fact that it didn't continue flying after contact was lost.

When comparing or contrasting to MH370, keep in mind the timeline of what we knew or thought we knew and how that progressively changed.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:13 PM

43,303 posts, read 43,962,894 times
Lost plane's request to change course was denied:
Lost plane's request to change course was denied

Old 12-29-2014, 05:24 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,395,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
Even if both engines shut down, at 38ft they should have been able to fly for quite sometime. Certainly long enough for a mayday
I'm no pilot, but I imagine there isn't much point in calling for a mayday when there is no airport to land at. The pilots would more likely be focused on trying to fly the airplane. It's not like they can pull over and wait for someone to come rescue them.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:34 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,939,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I'm no pilot, but I imagine there isn't much point in calling for a mayday when there is no airport to land at. The pilots would more likely be focused on trying to fly the airplane. It's not like they can pull over and wait for someone to come rescue them.
I'm not a pilot either, but I believe that at a high altitude the plane should be able to stay in the air for a long time, somewhere around 100 miles. Obviously it will gradually descend and need to land, but either the pilot or Co Pilot should have time to call in a mayday and figure out the best course of action.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:42 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,632,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
There is a point. Does it not help to find them later on? Perhaps someone survived the probable crash. At the rate it's going, there probably won't be any survivors.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:47 PM

894 posts, read 1,044,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
There is a point. Does it not help to find them later on? Perhaps someone survived the probable crash. At the rate it's going, there probably won't be any survivors.
That's the thing that is killing me with these governments. Let's say that miracle upon miracles, the plane did land somewhere or ditched in the water and there were survivors. They're all going to be dead by the time these officials get around to sharing information and calling in more advanced nations in to help with the search. They just seem so blasé in their response, like it's no biggie if the plane is never found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation